Want to buy

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Welcome, Tom. Not sure if you have a local dealer to go visit and try out some machines but that would be the best way to get an idea of what will work for you, in your area and for what type of searching you want to do.
There are lots of threads on this subject here that may be of some help. Try before you buy if you can. GOOD LUCK!

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too many questions to answer. What's your budget?,you don't need the biggest and the best to start out on. Time available to hunt, a couple hours a month or 3 or 4 times a week, this will also determine how fast you learn your machine. What do you want to hunt?. Coins in the park, civil war artifacts, gold nuggets, underwater items (at the beach or creeks and rivers swimming holes) Where do you intend to hunt? City parks where there will be a lot of "trash" you'll need to discriminate out or out in the country, How electronically inclined are you?, Some machines have a pretty good learning curve to learn what all they will do. Will the machine ever get wet? Back to the point of searching at the beach or the local swimming hole. The list goes on. A short answer would be to buy any of the lower mid line machines for any of the major manufacturers. they will get you started, You can always upgrade down the road and use the lower end unit as a spare. I have a ATGold and a ACE350 as my backup.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the big name manufactures have good starter machines. I like to see target ID numbers so I would want a machine that has that option, while others just show which target range an item is ringing in as. Depending on where you are located, the ability to ground balance may or may not be a concern. If I knew where you were located I could look online to see what used ones are available in your area. I have bought most of my detectors used and never had an issue. I hope you have room in your budget for a descent pin pointer. I hunted my 1st 6 months without one, but will never hunt without one anymore.

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like and use White's V3i, Deus, Minelab E-trac, Detech Chaser, DFX, MXT and MXT Pro and some Tesoro's. I'm getting the Minelab Equinox.
If you don't have a lot of money to spend and just want to get your feet wet before seeing if detecting is for you, I'd get something used and was easy to set up. Also get a good pinpointer.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were new to detecting I would want someone to suggest that I start with a $150.00 Tesoro Compadre. It is simple to operate and is one of the most effective of the lesser expensive and very user friendly. Once you get hooked on detecting, if you do, then you can graduate to a more expensive detector and use the Compadre as a backup. I must say, however, that even with a more expensive one in your collection you will still take the Compadre out for a stroll on occasion.
Marvin
PS, Most will suggest buying a pin-pointer but I spent my first 40 years detecting without one. I do use one now and it helps a little but I won't jump up and down and clap because of having one. Learning your machine and where the machine pin-points is far more valuable at first------------then graduate to a pin-pointer.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net from Northern Virginia

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread