Sharing my Civil War Obsession...

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, CTX, GPX 4500, and another Nox 800 for my friends...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter is a Rotary Exchange student living for a year in the Loire Valley, in France. She is taking her senior year of high school there. I am so proud of how brave she was to leave her family and friends behind to live in a country where she didn't even speak the language fluently. At her school she has a teacher who has enlisted her to teach some US History to her classmates. She told me her teacher was very interested in the Civil War. I’ve been sharing pictures of my finds and my daughter told me her teacher was amazed at how we dig relics out of the ground after all these years. I thought I’d surprise her with some authentic CW relics - my own personal finds. I’m hoping this will peak her interest even more. Sharing my obsession...

CW Display.jpg

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great way to share the history and our passion! There is no better way to connect with history than too hold it in your hands. Kudos to you and your daughter.
Nice thread.
She should give them a tour of tnet.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Some of our fellow citizens want to erase or modify our Civil War history. Keep up the good work of preservation.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice display. Congrats to both you and your Daughter. Tell your Daughter to tell the Frenchies that the South has never surrendered.......and Never will. Lol

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldnt mind being in france digging some Napoleonic war era relics never mind the American civil war:laughing9:Union button or an Old Guard button,I do believe I'd take the old guard button hands down.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
There's still a lot of the Civil War still in the ground. Let's all try to preserve and honor it. Thanks for your post.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To a lot of folks Relic Hunters are nothing much more than looters or thieves. What most don't understand is that we as Relic Hunters 1st to begin with, have a True Love of our History and the Artifacts that are connected to our History. Most all the hunters that I have ever known are not into relic hunting for monetary gain. I couldn't sell any relics personally because they have such a deep meaning to me in that the Historical significance they have and the story that goes with finding the particular relic or artifact. My collection money wise wouldn't bring that much money, but to me personally, it is priceless because I could not replace certain relics and each piece has a story to tell. Stories such as who fired this, who dropped this, who discarded this, who carved this......the list goes on. Property where relics are still found to myself and most is considered "Hallowed Ground". I can still feel a reverence when hunting for those that fought, struggled, and died in these fields and farmland. Back in 2012 my brother and I visited Gettysburg National Battlefield. I hadn't been there since I was about 4 years old. While there, a certain sadness just seems to come over you and envelope you in knowing the History of this battle and the number of soldiers that died and were wounded here. I feel that most Relic Hunters are for the most part Historians and wish to be Respectful in the recovery and the preservation of Artifacts to be enjoyed by future generations to come after we are long gone. This is my take on it anyway.

OP
OP
saftgeek

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, CTX, GPX 4500, and another Nox 800 for my friends...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't have said that any better devldog. I feel an emotional connection to my Civil War finds and giving these to a total stranger was harder than I ever imagined it would be. I've never sold and never plan to. I think this is a greater good and I want her to see that it was real, not just stories in books. Thank you for taking time to comment.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell your Daughter to tell the Frenchies that the South has never surrendered.......and Never will. Lol

Hate to burst your bubble, but the South surrendered 153 years ago. I copied this summation from History.com.

Robert E. Lee surrenders

At Appomattox, Virginia, Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrenders his 28,000 troops to Union General Ulysses S. Grant, effectively ending the American Civil War. Forced to abandon the Confederate capital of Richmond, blocked from joining the surviving Confederate force in North Carolina, and harassed constantly by Union cavalry, Lee had no other option.

In retreating from the Union army’s Appomattox Campaign, the Army of Northern Virginia had stumbled through the Virginia countryside stripped of food and supplies. At one point, Union cavalry forces under General Philip Sheridan had actually outrun Lee’s army, blocking their retreat and taking 6,000 prisoners at Sayler’s Creek. Desertions were mounting daily, and by April 8 the Confederates were surrounded with no possibility of escape. On April 9, Lee sent a message to Grant announcing his willingness to surrender. The two generals met in the parlor of the Wilmer McLean home at one o’clock in the afternoon.

Lee and Grant, both holding the highest rank in their respective armies, had known each other slightly during the Mexican War and exchanged awkward personal inquiries. Characteristically, Grant arrived in his muddy field uniform while Lee had turned out in full dress attire, complete with sash and sword. Lee asked for the terms, and Grant hurriedly wrote them out. All officers and men were to be pardoned, and they would be sent home with their private property–most important, the horses, which could be used for a late spring planting. Officers would keep their side arms, and Lee’s starving men would be given Union rations.

Shushing a band that had begun to play in celebration, General Grant told his officers, “The war is over. The Rebels are our countrymen again.” Although scattered resistance continued for several weeks, for all practical purposes the Civil War had come to an end.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I couldn't have said that any better devldog. I feel an emotional connection to my Civil War finds and giving these to a total stranger was harder than I ever imagined it would be. I've never sold and never plan to. I think this is a greater good and I want her to see that it was real, not just stories in books. Thank you for taking time to comment.

Thank you sir as well for your love of our History and endeavor to preserve our CW Relics. It isn't at times an easy journey, but it is fun and very much worth while when you come across that special piece.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hate to burst your bubble, but the South surrendered 153 years ago. I copied this summation from History.com.

Robert E. Lee surrenders

At Appomattox, Virginia, Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrenders his 28,000 troops to Union General Ulysses S. Grant, effectively ending the American Civil War. Forced to abandon the Confederate capital of Richmond, blocked from joining the surviving Confederate force in North Carolina, and harassed constantly by Union cavalry, Lee had no other option.

In retreating from the Union army’s Appomattox Campaign, the Army of Northern Virginia had stumbled through the Virginia countryside stripped of food and supplies. At one point, Union cavalry forces under General Philip Sheridan had actually outrun Lee’s army, blocking their retreat and taking 6,000 prisoners at Sayler’s Creek. Desertions were mounting daily, and by April 8 the Confederates were surrounded with no possibility of escape. On April 9, Lee sent a message to Grant announcing his willingness to surrender. The two generals met in the parlor of the Wilmer McLean home at one o’clock in the afternoon.

Lee and Grant, both holding the highest rank in their respective armies, had known each other slightly during the Mexican War and exchanged awkward personal inquiries. Characteristically, Grant arrived in his muddy field uniform while Lee had turned out in full dress attire, complete with sash and sword. Lee asked for the terms, and Grant hurriedly wrote them out. All officers and men were to be pardoned, and they would be sent home with their private property–most important, the horses, which could be used for a late spring planting. Officers would keep their side arms, and Lee’s starving men would be given Union rations.

Shushing a band that had begun to play in celebration, General Grant told his officers, “The war is over. The Rebels are our countrymen again.” Although scattered resistance continued for several weeks, for all practical purposes the Civil War had come to an end.
Fake News!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread