KyKatt

Jun 18, 2016
western ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro AT Pro
Garrett Carrot Pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am trying to find the best type of vest to use detecting. I have one new hip and one old(maybe getting new one before long) carrying a pouch that straps
around my waist and by the end of the day hips are hurting bad. Can you help me out on trying to selecting one? I hope you can provide some pictures if possible.

Thank you Ole Western KY Digger

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen loads of good metal detecting vests, but don't use one.

Try looking on Google for metal detecting vests or even fishing vests, there are loads of good options.

Minelab even makes one (or at least they did), but it all depends on how big you want it and how much stuff you want to carry?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
x2 on fly fishing vest, seen some people using these

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Relic Elite pouch and really like it. It is very durable and well-made. I also have a couple hunting vest that I like.
I tend to switch back and forth some just to do something different. If I'm going to have to walk very far to hunt, I like the vest better.
Since I'm a carpenter by trade, I sometimes get tired of the pouch. It reminds me too much of my tool belt.
Go to your local sporting goods store and there are many different kinds of hunting and fishing vest to pick from. I like ones with big pockets.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up a multi-pocket fishing vest about a year ago.

I confess, it's still brand new.

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sometimes use a Dove hunting vest if I have to do a lot of walking. I think I paid about $15 at Walmart. My pin pointer and Lesche hand tool fit in the back pouches fine and there are several small pouches for my finds..

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was looking for a vest as an option to use over my pouch and like others I also concentrated on fishing vests. That was before I discovered photographers vests. Many, many pocket configurations and levels of quality available. For a equal level of quality in materials used they also seem to run a little less expensive than same quality level in fishing vests.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do use a vest now 75% of the time. It has really come in handy. One that I have is a concealed weapons vest, it's a little heavy, and at first it almost felt like I was putting on a "flack vest", but in some "so-so" area's, I feel better about it. I looked at fishing vest, and it felt like I was wearing a "halter top"? Palmetto had a good thought about a photographers vest? Could work. Relic nut and lookingharder's comment about a "hunting vest" might be the ticket. And has got me to thinking about them again. At first I dismissed them only because I did not need a large back pocket that you might stuff a dove or pheasant or something in, but now, when tromping around out in the woods or fields to far from the car, what a great place for a different size coil when you wish you had one. Good thoughts all. For an added bonus, wearing one can also hide a "muffin top".

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do use a vest now 75% of the time. It has really come in handy. One that I have is a concealed weapons vest, it's a little heavy, and at first it almost felt like I was putting on a "flack vest", but in some "so-so" area's, I feel better about it. I looked at fishing vest, and it felt like I was wearing a "halter top"? Palmetto had a good thought about a photographers vest? Could work. Relic nut and lookingharder's comment about a "hunting vest" might be the ticket. And has got me to thinking about them again. At first I dismissed them only because I did not need a large back pocket that you might stuff a dove or pheasant or something in, but now, when tromping around out in the woods or fields to far from the car, what a great place for a different size coil when you wish you had one. Good thoughts all. For an added bonus, wearing one can also hide a "muffin top".
I have one that the large game compartment on the back zips off. This one is also made of mostly netted material which makes it much cooler in the summertime.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one that the large game compartment on the back zips off. This one is also made of mostly netted material which makes it much cooler in the summertime.

You have got me wanting to look at them again, Thanks for the input Relic. I view it as another part of detecting gear.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Katt, you might consider the skeet vests that have the shot gun shell pouches in the front that are mesh and the back of the vests are mesh also so it can be worn during the warm weather. The mesh pockets allow the fine dirt to fall out of pockets so at the end of a hunt you have just finds in your pouch and not a lot of dirt. I am pleased with mine. those shell pouches hang a bit low which makes it very convenient to use.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering some of the areas i detect, i don't think any of the above mentioned vest would do. I may need to look at a bullet proof vest!

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not pushing the photographers vest by any means, just wanted to add this. Just so everyone knows the variety of styles offered, most come with a large pocket on the back just like a game pouch on hunting vests. They're also have styles with vented backs or solid. These are what, IMHO, makes them most appealing to our hobby. They cover many of the desirable features that everyone has pointed out with the other various types of vests.

Do an Ebay search for them and then compare them by running similar searches for hunting vests, shooting vests and fishing vests. Kinda like window shopping to help figure out what appeals the most. Be aware that many of the really inexpensive vests (no matter which style) are usually very thin and cheap Chinese made vests. Look for name brands that are used but are in very good shape and offered at a good price (again, no matter which style chosen).

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Year's ago I used a photographer's vest. Lots of pockets but it gets hot in the Summer. Today, I go with a military web belt, pouches, and holsters for my pinpointer and lesche.

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Considering some of the areas i detect, i don't think any of the above mentioned vest would do. I may need to look at a bullet proof vest!

Well there is pocket or two for those types of hunting also. The good thing is that souls don’t weigh much when you dig em out and take em.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve got a fly fishing vest that I use on cold days, like in the 50’s.....
It’s got 27 pockets, and also a foam rubber thingy that I think was to put fish hooks on, but I threw it away.
Each time my cell phone rings, I miss the call, cuz I can’t find the phone, the pockets have pockets, I know it’s in there, but I can’t find it fast enough.
And this one time, my propointer 9 volt battery died, and it was a half hour before I could locate my spare battery....
Oh, and if I need a smoke, panic sets in when I forget which pocket the lighter is in.

OP
OP
K

KyKatt

Jun 18, 2016
western ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro AT Pro
Garrett Carrot Pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the help! Never thought about some of the items ya'll mentioned. Old Western KY Digger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread