Difference between governmental properties?

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always check the parcel data when I find an area of interest for either prospecting or metal detecting. I have noticed a few things that I am wondering about. Some land will say United States Forest Service, USFS, US GOVT., United States of America Government. Now, even when I compare a national forest and a wildlife/conservation/wilderness/etc. They all come back as USFS and not a name representing the more strict lands like conservation areas. But now, I'm looking at a big parcel of land that is United States Of America Government. I am assuming that it is some sort of federal land besides a national forest or the like. I'm curious as to if these are public lands. I have been reading that you can lease these federal lands and lease mineral rights, even in GA. Which is weird because GA doesnt have BLM Land. And lastly, another parcel name/issue i run into when looking up the data, is it comes back as "unknown". What exactly would these large tracts of "unknown" parcels be? Are they not private or government properties? Thanks in advance.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I always check the parcel data when I find an area of interest for either prospecting or metal detecting. I have noticed a few things that I am wondering about. Some land will say United States Forest Service, USFS, US GOVT., United States of America Government. Now, even when I compare a national forest and a wildlife/conservation/wilderness/etc. They all come back as USFS and not a name representing the more strict lands like conservation areas. But now, I'm looking at a big parcel of land that is United States Of America Government. I am assuming that it is some sort of federal land besides a national forest or the like. I'm curious as to if these are public lands. I have been reading that you can lease these federal lands and lease mineral rights, even in GA. Which is weird because GA doesnt have BLM Land. And lastly, another parcel name/issue i run into when looking up the data, is it comes back as "unknown". What exactly would these large tracts of "unknown" parcels be? Are they not private or government properties? Thanks in advance.

Great questions ! Starting in reverse order: Odd that assessor's parcel owner searches could come back "unknown". What resource are you using ? 1) A 3rd party assembler (like one of those subscription things that covers the entire USA, or entire states) ? Or are you saying you're getting "unknown" straight from the specific county assessors office in the county-of-question ?

If it's #1, then perhaps they just aren't getting all their data from the "source". (the "source" being the county assessors office in that particular county.) Eg.: the 3rd party's computer didn't recognize some code abbreviation or something. But if it's #2 (that the COUNTY ITSELF doesn't even know who owns the land), then that is odd indeed. I've never heard of that. But I will say this: If NO ONE is paying property taxes on that land, then I'd simply hit it (but that's just me).

As for the 1st parts of your question: You're right: There are multiple types of federal land. Eg.: NPS, BLM, NFS, road right of way, etc... etc... And multiple types state, and multiple types county, etc... This is what often-time leads to skiitish-people's conclusions that "all federal is off-limits", simply because they read something dire in ... NPS for instance. But as you have surmised, there are varying other administering agencies of varying other types of federal.

I suppose that the answer to your question, as it pertains to Fed, is that whomever is making the parcel data maps you're looking at, could sometimes just lump all federal land (of any sub-type) as being simply "US Govt". But that doesn't tell you what exact type, eh ? You can knock yourself silly and ... with more cross-referencing (there are types of topo maps, for example, which label the borders, blah blah). But for me personally, if I see any type designation of public land , I do not fret myself about sub-categories. I just go. But if you want to be safe, sure: You can avoid NPS and obvious historic sensitive monuments.

Last edited:

Machkin

Nov 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know in some states Law Enforcement officers, Judges, EMT's, Parole Officers, Guardian ad Litems, Private Investigators, State Attorney's, Public Defenders...etc, can become exempt from disclosing their information from Public records, which would return as an "unknown". Don't know if that is the case but just an FYI.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
If you're using the county assessor's information, you should be able to pull up their tax data. Check to see what they're paying in taxes on the property. If they're not paying taxes, it's owned by a nonprofit, a church, or the public. If you're not sure whether the property owner's name is that of a nonprofit or a government agency, Google them.

Once you've locked it down to public land, go over federal, state, county, and (if necessary) municipal laws about how it may be used. Tom would say (and I will agree with him here) that if they don't specifically prohibit what you're planning on doing, then it is allowed. If they don't want you in there, they will put up signs saying as much. If they really don't want you in there, there will be a fence as well. If someone is leasing it, they should have it posted as such.

As for unknown owners (or other gaps in available information), it happens. Sometimes it's merely a database error. Other times, it's intentional. You'll have to check with the county to determine which. If they don't want to discuss it, it's probably intentional.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread