My Head is Spinning

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am posting this knowing that there is no right answer, but here goes. Our oldest (10 years old) granddaughter will be visiting in a few weeks and I am going to get her a detector. I have always used Garrett products so of course I am looking at the Ace series, but the minelab Gofind looks interesting, I am not very knowledgeable on the other brands. When she is with me we hunt schools and parks. I don’t want to overwhelm her with a lot of stuff that will make learning how to use it the majority of her time with us. Appreciate any input.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd seriously consider the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV for her. It's simple to use, very light, and definitely produces. And for the price, you can't go wrong. I was pleasantly surprised when I bought one while my primary machine at the time went out for repairs. GL & HH with her!

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Ace350. I got so when the wife wants to go with me and at the beach because my ATGold doesn't do wet sand. My 10 year old grandson loves it. I wasn't expensive but it's still a good machine and can find just about everything.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All mentioned MD's would be a good fit for the Grandaughter and are good units. I would recommend the Garrett Ace series simply because I am more familiar with them. My wife has the Ace 350 and she usually out hunts me when she goes with me. Best of Luck to you and your Grandaughter. You are a Good Grandpa.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
So I am posting this knowing that there is no right answer, but here goes. Our oldest (10 years old) granddaughter will be visiting in a few weeks and I am going to get her a detector. I have always used Garrett products so of course I am looking at the Ace series, but the minelab Gofind looks interesting, I am not very knowledgeable on the other brands. When she is with me we hunt schools and parks. I don’t want to overwhelm her with a lot of stuff that will make learning how to use it the majority of her time with us. Appreciate any input.

I'm sure you will make the right decision. :thumb_up:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I meant to add to watch Utu be videos on MD's you are most interested in. This may help to narrow down your list. Best of Luck to you.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a gofind 60and it is surprisingly accurate and A a easly usable machine., I will back pack mine on horse riding trips

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd seriously consider the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV for her. It's simple to use, very light, and definitely produces. And for the price, you can't go wrong. I was pleasantly surprised when I bought one while my primary machine at the time went out for repairs. GL & HH with her![/QUOTE

Tesoro Silver micromax - $160 range is very easy to use and very light weight. I bought one for my kids when they were young.

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
At 10, she is probably not very tall. Most detectors do not adjust short enough for kids, women and short folks. If not, you have to hold the detector up and out with your forearm, which gets tired fast.
There are many so-called kids detectors, but most are junk, and frustrating to use, because kids want to find something.
One idea is the Go-Find. It comes in 3 models, with the most expensive about $250. Its really easy to use, adjusts easily to short or tall, and is not a toy, but a Minelab.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A used 150 would do it if you want to stick with Garret. X or crisscross to pinpoint after a solid two way hit. Use same center hole through coil to center target when done pin pointing. Mark that spot and cut plug ,or prod surface with hand held pinpointer ,if one is used. Jewelry ,or coin mode is a good start.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Compadre is the best bang for the buck in my opinion and is a great machine for the niche it is intended.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions