Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh. Thank you.
I thought they looked at it like the coins people buy & collect and put in books and slab, and was taxed when used or at point of sale.
My bad.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Msbeepbeep:

Let's say you have the good fortune to purchase a coin and it goes up in value. That's not a "taxable event." You don't have to pay taxes on the increase in value until you sell.

Let's say you find something. When it becomes yours - then you owe taxes on the market value. In essence, it has gone from $0 (before you owned it) to $X - now it's yours!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, you can count on me to sent you bail money to bail you out of jail for not paying taxes on all the treasures that you had found and sold.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All members, that crying in your cheap beer. Some states including Connecticut have state income taxes.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Limitool:

Paying taxes that are owed isn't announcing your find to the world. And whether the people who lost or hid the plunder paid taxes doesn't make any difference to the finder.

People think they can keep a big find a secret. Unless they make the recovery completely on their own, never tell a soul, have a unique way to convert the treasure into cash and then never spend any of the proceeds - word will get out.

And then the you-know-what hits the fan.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Keeping a "Big Find" secret is so easy to do. FYI: Your key word in your post is "unique". It's not a mystery or unknown to most folks either and nor is it "rocket science". That's why MOST FOLKS DON'T broadcast such finds. "Word will get out".... right...?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If I find a broken piece of glass that cuts my expensive boot when detecting ,can I deduct the cost of the boot as a loss to offset the six dollar Mercury dime found on the same hunt many times over on taxes? Worn out gloves? Tools ? Fuel? Why not?
It's not a business ,nor a legal nonprofit. Just a hobby. Till profit outweighs investment ,shouldn't I get a deduction for a loss if a gain equals a tax regardless?

Risk has a cost associated. The party rewarded for the risk should not be the one taking no risk.
Equitists caveat!

Cripes , next I'll face a tax for killing a fish while fishing properly licensed , for supper , non professionally. Never mind the costs to catch one.

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
That find (Saddle Ridge Hoard) was handled so stupidly (so says I). Those folks brought on their own grief by ANNOUNCING it to the world.

LOOKINGHARDER: I agree with you. Keep you mouth shut... SHUT! Especially if a large find is found by you and off your property. Don't tickle the dragon.

Wasn't it found by A young couple? Man, millennials live their lives on FB. They record everything, even their food. They have probably never seen or owned any gold coins, and blabbed just to impress their friends with their cool.
Youth loses its innocence, and sometimes its a harder lesson than other times.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wasn't it found by A young couple? Man, millennials live their lives on FB. They record everything, even their food. They have probably never seen or owned any gold coins, and blabbed just to impress their friends with their cool.

Clueless.

They are retired. The coins were found on their recently purchased retirement property. I doubt they even have an internet connection. If they even have a computer they probably bought it for their grandchildren.

Jealous a little?

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Clay Diggins revealed the true story in post #48...check it out. It makes sense now:thumbsup:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This whole thread is funny.
Bunch of people arguing about what they would do IF they found a cache.
Bet $$ these honest guys don’t add $1700 bucks to their declared income every time they find a common double eagle gold coin or a diamond ring.
The coin goes in the safe and the ring on the wife’s finger.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After finding single coins and jewel, and buried treasures, and if I decided to sell, I pay Connecticut and Federal income taxes. Any income is taxable, legal or illegal. Good hunting and good luck.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was right.

Really it’s nobodies business what people do as far as declaring income.
I always follow the rules.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is an IRS statute of limitations on collecting taxes. The IRS is limited to 10 years to collect back taxes, after that, they are barred by law from continuing collection activities against you.

But to be safe I'm following Brother Karl Mueller's (Charlie Miller's) advice. Shhhhhhhhh.

Maybe after 25 years . . . but I took no photographs (pre me owning a digital camera) and left no lists or files so no one would believe me, anyway. ;-) Not dug, not metallic. Just a pleasant surprise cleaning out Dad's "junk".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread