Found treasures or caches question

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I sit here waiting for my new knee to heal up, this site has helped me keep my sanity, whats left of it anyway. Iv'e read a lot of threads and post about lost treasures and huge lost gold caches. My question to everyone is, Would you tell anyone if you found one? Me personally, would have to say no. I may be wrong and that's why I'm asking. It would seem to me that if I found a gold cache of $50000 in gold, people and agencies would be coming out of the wood work to claim it. Not that I have found one, this is all speculation. If it was on government land, lets say the in the swamps of South Carolina which is government land that allows public assess, Would the state have a claim to it? If I had written permission to hunt a private 200 acre farm and I found it, wouldn't the land owner has a claim to it? You just don't see or read much about these kinds of finds like you do ship wrecked where there are salvage rights and such. I have to believe that there are hundreds of large treasures to be found just from the stories of the lost Civil War payrolls. The old Treasure Hunter magazines where full of stories like this but I haven't heard of anything being found for years. I curious to see what the general consensus is on the subject.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think people are finding treasures and hoards all the time but the greed of governments has made it impossible to even think about announcing such a find. Such a sad situation.

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, and it may be wrong, but I agree with you. I don't think I would let anyone know.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i wouldn't tell a soul no matter how much they grilled me into saying it

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably wouldn't say much. But if I ever found that Forrest Fenn treasure, I believe I would post it in the 'What is it?' forum on here just to be aggravating.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After careful consideration n much thought, I'd honestly hafta say...

Mine!Mine!!Mine!!! 😮

I would, however, post photos of my new Jaguar in Today's Snapshot. 😁

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never tell what kind of treasure I find.....I don't want to meet all them relatives that I didn't know I have......:tongue3:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As for posting "bragging rights": Take a look at "today's find" type sections of any md'ing forum. When you look for any length of time, and you see no shortage of valuable stuff (even some caches) that get posted there.

HOWEVER, all of us are mostly never posting exactly where we found the items. Hence no one to rush out from a public agency and say "that violated the harvest/remove or cultural heritage verbiage".

So too with posting a cache, you're fine as long as you don't say where exactly you found it.

Thus I don't buy the supposed fear of "govt. claimants" being the reason why there isn't show & tell of caches. Md'rs can and do certainly show their trophy bragging rights (even valuable ones) all the time. But you might just leave out mention of location.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope! Wouldn't say a word if I found something on my own. I don't want the bragging rights, I don't want the other possible headaches. Just rebury it where I know it's safe and take as needed.

I thought a lot about this after the cans of gold coins were found a few years back and were all over the news.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saddle Ridge Hoard,, a cache of gold coins found by land owners on their land in 2013. Estimated numismatic value, 10 million. Read about it on Wikipedia

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
# 1. You must be new here. Most of the stories in treasure magazines are total untrue. Those that are true has been search by many people and some were recovered. Always have contracts with owners, people and governments and always pay you state and federal income taxes. Good hunting and good luck.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... Always have contracts with ... governments ....

Oh ... well most certainly. I draft up "contracts with the government" before I go md'ing . In case I find a goodie or cache. Heck .... can't be too safe after all. Eh ? :tongue3:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope! Wouldn't say a word if I found something on my own. I don't want the bragging rights, I don't want the other possible headaches. Just rebury it where I know it's safe and take as needed.

I thought a lot about this after the cans of gold coins were found a few years back and were all over the news.

That find (Saddle Ridge Hoard) was handled so stupidly (so says I). Those folks brought on their own grief by ANNOUNCING it to the world.

LOOKINGHARDER: I agree with you. Keep you mouth shut... SHUT! Especially if a large find is found by you and off your property. Don't tickle the dragon.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Keep your mouth shut. If you need the money, sell off a little at a time under the radar. When asked about the origin of you treasure, "it's been handed down thru my family".
The folks in Ca that found those gold coins in tin cans were stupid. Had to pay taxes on the value. The govt even investigated to see if it was stolen loot from a
bank from years ago. Too much press can do NO one any good.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
50,000 in gold?
Don't imagine I would be able to tell anyone after the massive coronary.
Should that be survived ...I would have to explain having the shakes for a while. A single silver ( not Gold!) coin could do that.

Now, you said Carolina swamp? :laughing7::icon_scratch::skullflag:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if I were to find a 50 k find of anything no one would ever know of it accept my wife would sell it off bit by bit so as to draw no attention to myself I do not live off grid for no reason do not like the attention

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That find (Saddle Ridge Hoard) was handled so stupidly (so says I). Those folks brought on their own grief by ANNOUNCING it to the world.

LOOKINGHARDER: I agree with you. Keep you mouth shut... SHUT! Especially if a large find is found by you and off your property. Don't tickle the dragon.

Almost makes you wonder if they were...Advertising for future sales. I wonder if the attention and free advertising paid off in the end? Wonder how much more they were able to pull for some of those coins from the backstory and mystery.

Was just a thought since it seemed so wrong on how it was handled, almost too wrong, that it was done on purpose.

Machkin

Nov 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, wouldn't say a word. How do you go about finding a reputable "fence" to offload the articles you never found?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, wouldn't say a word. How do you go about finding a reputable "fence" to offload the articles you never found?

Hmmm...When I think of "fence" I think of "stolen" items......"creative sales" broker is for items you don't want anyone to know about, sounds a little less illegal. :laughing7:

I've never found anything...so I wouldn't know. But I have thought about it a lot! And would like the challenge of "creative sales" brokering if I found a load of gold. :laughing7:

All joking aside.....It happens daily on some scale. Coins, guns, precious metals,etc, collections. Inherited, hoarded,found,.. there is no shortage of people that buy,sell,trade and there are legal ways of doing it privately. Not hard at all. The only thing that is a problem and illegal is if it's "stolen".

Last edited:

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
I would find it one coin at a time. And then there's the 2 (at a time) I'd sell at coin/pawn shops for about 80% value. You know, the one's Grandad gave me. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread