Now the Big Easy is cleaning up the drains and they found...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is kind of crazy when one thinks about it.:icon_scratch:

New Orleans pulls 46 tons of Mardi Gras beads from storm drains

New Orleans city officials said on Thursday that more than 46 tons - or 93,000 pounds - of Carnival beads were among 7.2 million pounds of trash pulled from clogged catch basins along a five-block stretch of a downtown parade route, the Times-Picayune newspaper reported.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-mardigras-new-orleans/new-orleans-pulls-46-tons-of-mardi-gras-beads-from-storm-drains-idUSKBN1FF2KJ

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it would be fun to detect that trash.
brad

Plastic beads would float, but there's still 7.1 million pounds of something. There has to be gold and silver in that mess.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Plastic beads would float, but there's still 7.1 million pounds of something. There has to be gold and silver in that mess.

you got that right and a few grand in clad. :icon_thumleft: Probably many newer aluminum tokens to.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to mention we broke a record today only 2 people were shot along parade routes. I just pray it was any innocent tourists.

P.S. Mardi Gras doubloons ring up exactly like silver dollars and the gold ones will give you semi heart attacks at times.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE: 5 people shot 2 dead and another 2 separate shootings, one man shot and in head another shooting fight broke out and another juvenile thug shoot died.
Typical Mardi Gras. And that during the day we have all tonight to go.

Happy Mardi Gras!!!!!!

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to mention we broke a record today only 2 people were shot along parade routes. I just pray it was any innocent tourists.

P.S. Mardi Gras doubloons ring up exactly like silver dollars and the gold ones will give you semi heart attacks at times.

Ya i spent ten days there a couple years ago and that city is ROUGH. I cant believe the **** i saw there. The stores in the ninth ward were open but the door was locked. You have to convince them you are not planning to rob them so you can come in and order food. So much fun there though. I knew if i didnt leave when i did that city was going to suck me into itself.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya i spent ten days there a couple years ago and that city is ROUGH. I cant believe the **** i saw there. The stores in the ninth ward were open but the door was locked. You have to convince them you are not planning to rob them so you can come in and order food. So much fun there though. I knew if i didnt leave when i did that city was going to suck me into itself.

Oh so very true it will take you in its arms and love to to death. New Orleans is the city that sobriety forgot about its wild growing up there I was in the French Quarter bars at 14 in the 80’s but clean and sober for 16 years. It was like being raised in the belly of the beast. But boy can I tell you some stories LOL

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
UPDATE: 5 people shot 2 dead and another 2 separate shootings, one man shot and in head another shooting fight broke out and another juvenile thug shoot died.
Typical Mardi Gras. And that during the day we have all tonight to go.

Happy Mardi Gras!!!!!!

For some odd reason having booze, guns, and people is a equation for a bad ending.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a trade show in that town in 2004. I remember the year because it was at the time of that Justin Timberlake - Janet Jackson debacle Superbowl performance. I had a long way to walk to my hotel though the French Quarter. The next morning walking through the streets to meet up for breakfast, I was amazed at the ton of crap left in the streets from the night before and the clean up crew was already out cleaning up just as the sun was rising. All I saw along the way was busted beer bottles, trash and puke all over the sidewalks.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As had been said, "One mans trash, is another mans treasure?"

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was at a trade show in that town in 2004. I remember the year because it was at the time of that Justin Timberlake - Janet Jackson debacle Superbowl performance. I had a long way to walk to my hotel though the French Quarter. The next morning walking through the streets to meet up for breakfast, I was amazed at the ton of crap left in the streets from the night before and the clean up crew was already out cleaning up just as the sun was rising. All I saw along the way was busted beer bottles, trash and puke all over the sidewalks.

From travelling I have noticed a few things and it really comes down to having some self respect and for others.
In Toronto there's a few large events and ten/100s of thousands of fans go to these every year.
One is the large gay parade where a million people come out to watch, the trash left on the streets is minimum.
There's a Jazz festive that runs over a few evenings and the garbage is large-all in the garbage receptacles provided. We've seen folks pick up a piece of trash and put in or on top of the trash can.
Then there is the Caribana Parade where the attendance can be 1.3 million and the amazing thing is the garbage barrels are almost empty. The trash will be a foot thick on the ground inland around the barrels, but one can see the bottom of the barrel looking into it.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been to New Orleans 3 times, once pre-Katrina and twice post-Katrina.
The music, the food and the history all make New Orleans a great place to visit! :occasion14:

New Orleans can be a dangerous place, but so is every other major city in North America! :laughing7:

You just need to use your 'street sense'... keep your head up and your eyes open. :thumbsup:

Dave

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We took camp trailer trips across Canada when I was young. I remember my mother commenting how clean everywhere we'd stop was. I guess you Canadians are known for your concerns about cleanliness. A lot of folks down here, but not all could give a hoot about what they do with their trash. I think they believe there's always someone else to pick up after them.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We took camp trailer trips across Canada when I was young. I remember my mother commenting how clean everywhere we'd stop was. I guess you Canadians are known for your concerns about cleanliness. A lot of folks down here, but not all could give a hoot about what they do with their trash. I think they believe there's always someone else to pick up after them.

I have a verbal rant every time I see garbage laying around on the sides of the road. It's usually f--- pigs that comes to mind.
If I see it happen I'll let you know in different ways. On the street I might just wait a little distance and say " oh excuse me I think you dropped something back there."
The replies and the looks of different folks is amusing.
If you have a company name on the of the auto then it's a phone call to them asking them to explain why would I conduct business with them when they go around doing that.
We're not that clean up here and I'm embarrassed by the trash that's thrown out the windows.
Any on and off ramp is a trash heap of litter it seems now. If you ever looked inside my vehicle you'd be wanting to wear gloves and coverall protection. :laughing7:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a verbal rant every time I see garbage laying around on the sides of the road. It's usually f--- pigs that comes to mind.
If I see it happen I'll let you know in different ways. On the street I might just wait a little distance and say " oh excuse me I think you dropped something back there."
The replies and the looks of different folks is amusing.
If you have a company name on the of the auto then it's a phone call to them asking them to explain why would I conduct business with them when they go around doing that.
We're not that clean up here and I'm embarrassed by the trash that's thrown out the windows.
Any on and off ramp is a trash heap of litter it seems now. If you ever looked inside my vehicle you'd be wanting to wear gloves and coverall protection. :laughing7:
Maybe it's time to run this message again

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go to africa and you'll see the exact same trash as in the ghetto. Same people same trash.
They will sit out on the curbs all day right next to all the trash and never care to pick it up. It's too much work and work doesn't fit them.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Go to africa and you'll see the exact same trash as in the ghetto. Same people same trash.
They will sit out on the curbs all day right next to all the trash and never care to pick it up. It's too much work and work doesn't fit them.

There's lots of places a lot closer as Jamaica, we got off the cruise boat and it was a garbage dump along the sides of the road, absolutely no pride in keeping it clean. A ghetto is a ghetto no matter where it is in this messy world.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions