Sneaky thief

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I build bird feeders and enjoy watching all the birds through the living room door. I have one the I put two suet cages on. Wood peckers enjoy them. I have found them on the ground and empty twice over the last week or so. I have a guard on the post so the squirrels cant get to the feeders. No way a raccoon of any other critter could get to them. I caught the culprit this morning. About 6am. this morning at first light, two crows landed on top of the feeder and managed to unhook the chain holding the suet cages. The hooks are very small and are hooked on a 1/4" eye bolt. Once they drop them on the ground, three of there buddies join in on the feast empty it fast. These two crows hang almost upside down and unhooked the chain. I'm trying to get them on video but anyone who know crows, they are slick and any movement scares them off. Now I have to figure out how to out smart crows.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
double barrel 12 gauge with doubled ought buck shot

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I build bird feeders and enjoy watching all the birds through the living room door. I have one the I put two suet cages on. Wood peckers enjoy them. I have found them on the ground and empty twice over the last week or so. I have a guard on the post so the squirrels cant get to the feeders. No way a raccoon of any other critter could get to them. I caught the culprit this morning. About 6am. this morning at first light, two crows landed on top of the feeder and managed to unhook the chain holding the suet cages. The hooks are very small and are hooked on a 1/4" eye bolt. Once they drop them on the ground, three of there buddies join in on the feast empty it fast. These two crows hang almost upside down and unhooked the chain. I'm trying to get them on video but anyone who know crows, they are slick and any movement scares them off. Now I have to figure out how to out smart crows.

VERY intelligent bird.You ever watch you tube videos of them?

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a couple 2 liter bottles cut the bottoms out of both put the suet in the center with a hole big enough for the woodpeckers to get in.Make some kind of perch for them so they can eat that might work.Play around with the design until you figure what works.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crows are clever. They actually have found that crows (and ravens) will fashion twigs or leaves into tools and place them somewhere for reuse - which brings them up with us and apes as "intelligent" tool using beings.

They also recognize and remember faces.

Might be worth some suet to make friends. Someday, when you've fallen down a well . . . "Crows - go get help!"

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
my grandfather was fighting a losing war with crows pulling up his shoots of corn. they would walk down a row and pull every one of them up. He would race outside with his shotgun and they would already be flying, they have sentries watching. So, I had him to take out his bathroom window screen and to keep the lights off. The next time he caught them out in the garden, I had him stand back a little ways from the actual window so no barrel would be sticking out and he waited until he caught three of them bunched together, got them all with one shot. he left them hanging around garden, no more problems. When they want to, they can mimic other birds as well as other animals, they live to be pretty old and are very intelligent. however, sometimes when a crow is crippled, they will try to come to it's aid no matter what and this is what people that crow hunt count on. A pellet is all it takes if you can manage it but it requires stealth and being hidden. I have watched them come in one after another and grab a snake's tail or peck at the back end of it to get it to leave an area, usually works. They are quite the thieves as well, they like shiny stuff or anything else that catches their eyes. They do some good as well, eating a lot of grubs in pastures etc but because of their other nature, very disliked around gardens etc.

OP
OP
lookingharder

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Know why you never see a dead crow in the road???? There's always one in a tree yelling CAA CAA CAA.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You can split a Crow's tongue and teach it to talk. A not so nice gentleman on the road across the hill from where I grew up until I was thirteen years old had two of them and they could make a Sailor blush with their foul mouths. I would hunt on an old road that paralleled the man's property and the two Crows would call me everything in the book.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
good night that is weird

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found my suet cages hundreds of yards from the house, but I am not picky what type of critters I end up feeding, deer, coins, squirrels, birds, the stray neighbors kids, all are welcome :laughing7:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We get all kinds as well. Woodpeckers (four varieties), chickadees, chickens (our own), and occasionally flying squirrels at night.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A crow stole my Grandfather's pocket watch in a lumber camp. They never found it, but saw it take it off a table.

chatterbait

Dec 27, 2016
Gloucester co.NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4,AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smart birds.Read one time where they are teaching them to collect cigarette buts.They find them.Place them in a hopper were a sensor reads it and drops food.GENIUS.
Just need to train them to find change.

cofresi

Greenie
Feb 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont ever do bad to a crow. They will remember your face for life, and then all their buddies will do bad things to you. You seen the movies havent you. Besides crows have to eat as well. Try tame ne. They are real great talkers and pets.

cofresi

Greenie
Feb 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fallen down a well... Ttally skayed almost spewed my coffee. Dont worry the crows will get ya help.lol

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shooting from a concealed location would be the only way you can get them...their eyesight is incredible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread