Ordering the CTX!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey all,

Planning to order the CTX this week. Still love my DFX and it'll be a great backup. I just want something more all terrain for Washington weather and wading in lakes. Having better deep seeking silver ability is an obvious plus too.

For immediate accessories I'm looking at:
-17 inch coil
-Gray ghost headphones
-6 inch RTG scoop (need something rough and tumble for the rooty Washington lake-beds)

Would anyone recommend any different accessories based on their experience?

Thanks!
-W

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can personally vouch for the gray ghosts. They are great. Can't help otherwise.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
I should note I already have a Garrett carrot, lesche handheld digger and lesche t-shovel.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I will second the motion on the Grey Ghost headphones.:thumb_up:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GG headphones, I'd pass on the 17" as it's really going to be a boat anchor for weight.
I personally would be looking at the smaller coil selection for the areas that are heavy in targets.
Though digging in your area of the country stuff sinks pretty good.
Slow your swinging down, and go for the high tones.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would suggest the 6" coil in lieu of the 17" one.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The choice of a second coil depends on the areas you hunt. If you hunt places that don't have a lot of trash, and targets are spread out (such as farm fields or large parks) then the 17 is a great coil. If your hunt places are things like homesites, cellar holes, normal parks, etc then the smaller coil would get a lot more use.

Both have strengths and weaknesses, everything in this hobby is a trade-off.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
use the stock 11" coil for the water as the 17" and the coiltek 14x9 are tough to use in the water even with a harness.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure.you order the Gray Ghost Amphibians. They are made for water. Be specific about what machine you will be using them on when ordering.
Also, when using any machine that is submersible, whether it is the AT PRO, Excalibur, CTX, etc. You should always give the port openings, "O" rings a wipe of silicone grease prior to going in the water. Silicone grease will keep the port connections water tight. It is what divers use on their diver equipment. A small tub of it can be ordered from any dive shop.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, The CTX is still my most favorite machine to run, Just fun. And now Is a good time to buy if they are still doing the free 17" coil thing. But....

I don't like the grey ghost for the CTX at all(tried 2 sets), Loved them with my other machines but they were WAY to quite for my with the ctx. They did not have half the volume they need IMO I don't think they have the correct OHM speakers or something for the CTX

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, The CTX is still my most favorite machine to run, Just fun. And now Is a good time to buy if they are still doing the free 17" coil thing. But....

I don't like the grey ghost for the CTX at all(tried 2 sets), Loved them with my other machines but they were WAY to quite for my with the ctx. They did not have half the volume they need IMO I don't think they have the correct OHM speakers or something for the CTX

Which Grey ghosts are you talking about, I have the GG Amphibians on my 3030 and it has plenty of volume.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, those arethe ones. 2 sets, too quite. And I have great hearing :) both sets new. And this has been brought up by others the same thing.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make sure.you order the Gray Ghost Amphibians. They are made for water. Be specific about what machine you will be using them on when ordering.
Also, when using any machine that is submersible, whether it is the AT PRO, Excalibur, CTX, etc. You should always give the port openings, "O" rings a wipe of silicone grease prior to going in the water. Silicone grease will keep the port connections water tight. It is what divers use on their diver equipment. A small tub of it can be ordered from any dive shop.

Great call, against the wind. I just did my AT PRO rings (battery cover, coil cable, and headphone cable) and my TRX pin pointer earlier today with Trident purse silicone grease. It's was $7.95 for a 2 oz. container, and more than worth it for the peace of mind. :thumbsup:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you do don't skip the mid tones. Wonderful buttons and some gold hide in the land of mid tones.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, those arethe ones. 2 sets, too quite. And I have great hearing :) both sets new. And this has been brought up by others the same thing.

I have hearing loss from an explosion and the NDT are great with all the MineLabs I've owned.

Gray Ghost® NDT

Built upon the solid foundation of the Famous Original Gray Ghost, NDT Means “No Down Time!”

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hearing loss from an explosion and the NDT are great with all the MineLabs I've owned.

Gray Ghost® NDT

Built upon the solid foundation of the Famous Original Gray Ghost, NDT Means “No Down Time!”

Yea, All my other grey host headphones have been great except the CTX. Hopefully they made the needed changes..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions