Need some advice on how to find something big.

pish

Feb 17, 2018
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

A little info first, I live on about 30 acres of land towards the end of the Blue Ridge mountains in Virginia. The house which I share with a few people used to be an old ski lodge, so back when they were building the lodge they were going to build a ski lift to the top of the hill, something happened which caused them to not finish the building of the ski lift. The story goes that my landlord was informed by the previous owner that there was a very substantial amount of either copper wire or copper plates that were buried on the property. So I have been tasked with finding the copper. He was saying that it was buried with a backhoe, and I have taken a few walks around the property and have my thoughts on where it could be based off of the land. My question is how would I go about finding the copper IF its actually buried here? If you would like to know the worth or anymore info please ask, and to anyone that is willing to actually come out and help look for it the worth would be split.

Thank you all for your help it is very much appreciated.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
A two box detector or ground penetrating radar or a thumper.You don't have to many choices.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recommend a unit like the Whites TM 808.

th (14).jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

A little info first, I live on about 30 acres of land towards the end of the Blue Ridge mountains in Virginia. The house which I share with a few people used to be an old ski lodge, so back when they were building the lodge they were going to build a ski lift to the top of the hill, something happened which caused them to not finish the building of the ski lift. The story goes that my landlord was informed by the previous owner that there was a very substantial amount of either copper wire or copper plates that were buried on the property. So I have been tasked with finding the copper. He was saying that it was buried with a backhoe, and I have taken a few walks around the property and have my thoughts on where it could be based off of the land. My question is how would I go about finding the copper IF its actually buried here? If you would like to know the worth or anymore info please ask, and to anyone that is willing to actually come out and help look for it the worth would be split.

Thank you all for your help it is very much appreciated.

Coils of copper wire or tangled up mess of wire will produce a huge signal that most large coiled machines would pick up a signal going down a few feet. The copper plates is a ??? as the only thing I can think of is bus bar copper. Where the main high current electrical power runs through bars of copper instead of wire. Once again these would produce a great signal if buried together in a pile.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I can't imagine that the copper was buried in the first place, that doesn't add up. But, sounds like you're up for the challenge. Before investing money into equipment, I'd look at some google earth pictures, look for obvious places first via "air". 30 acres of mountains...that's a lot of hiding spots.

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An 808 will work good and they can be bought or rented cheap. If it's a lot of copper it will pay for the machine at todays scrap prices.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure someone didn't run off with the copper ? Copper is worth $$$s especially in large amounts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions