Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We were at my son's house, about 12 miles from town. it was about thirty minutes before dark, very dreary day and now getting extremely foggy. less than a mile away is the second tallest mountain in Arkansas. We hear a helicopter overhead and can tell it is landing in the pasture between my son's house and his widow neighbor. our 1st thought is a medi-vac copter and hurry outside to see. It is not one of them and is about a hundred and twenty five yards from his house. the two guys have gotten and have started walking towards the widow's house so my son and his father-n-law hurry around the huge pasture in his truck to see what was going on. The sheriff's office had been called and two deputy vehicles come flying up.
The story that we got was these two young men were from Idaho and were on their way to the local airport to see friends. The fog had gotten so bad that they settled down in this pasture because of the closeness to the highway plus they could tell where the power lines were. In a little bit, a more experienced pilot and friend from the airport showed up and after a quick talk with the deputies, he took the men and copter back to the airport. Of course, we wondered about drugs etc. I had kept it more positive with the family and said either the fog or mechanical problems had forced them down. We have had numerous plane crashes here on this mountain as well as another one just over it, especially on low cloudy days or like this, very foggy. This airport is where a lot of aircraft get refurbished and so aircraft are flown in from all over. Back to the medi-vac thing, both myself and my son have been flown out of this area by medi-cac helicopters. Me for a ruptured brain aneurysm and him from a car/tree accident. Just very happy this ended well for the two young men. DL

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
my son texted me this morning, they had to go to town early this morning and saw the helicopter sitting in another field about a mile closer to town. Don't know it it was just too foggy or what. makes you wonder

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you're out in the middle of nowhere,, those helicopters are sometimes all there is between life and death

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dl,
Sounds like you are somewhere between Waldron and Mena?

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Probably someone who's deciphered the Beale code and know it's REALLY in Ark. & not back East. They're just not sure which field it's in. Good luck.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dl,
Sounds like you are somewhere between Waldron and Mena?

actually I am farther south. my son lives close to the OK state line near Rich Mountain. I have a daughter that lives near Mt Ida. I do have family from near the Mena area down to south of Locksburg. Back int 70's, we had land between Y City and Mena.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably someone who's deciphered the Beale code and know it's REALLY in Ark. & not back East. They're just not sure which field it's in. Good luck.

My guess would have been Texasjay was in the area and the chopper was there for "buzzing" duty. :laughing7:

Glad everything turned out alright for the pilots, those mountains are wicked. I used to hang glide in that area years ago......mean updrafts/down drafts.

:coffee2:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My guess would have been Texasjay was in the area and the chopper was there for "buzzing" duty. :laughing7:

Glad everything turned out alright for the pilots, those mountains are wicked. I used to hang glide in that area years ago......mean updrafts/down drafts.

:coffee2:

the up drafts and down drafts are wicked. I made the mistake one time flying in a small plane over and around the mountain about 20 years ago. I was asked if I would like to go up and I said yes, I got sick from the turbulence and thought we would never land. it was a long slow ride home and I ate a whole package of Tums trying to settle my stomach. The pilot, a friend, was trying to locate something for someone. I got my fill of locating and haven't ever had the desire to do it again. He didn't see what he was looking for.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My house seems to be on the approach path for one of the landing strips at Logan airport, and for the med-flight helicopters for the hospital right down the street.
I sincerely hope they all stay in the sky, and don't lose anything while going over......well maybe a bag of money dropped in the back yard would be ok.

I did see an odd helicopter back in January, it was very low flying kind mean looking and had 2 missels under each wing.
I wondered if one of the local drug lords had up the game on weaponry.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
that makes me think of when Stevie Ray Vaughn and his crew died years ago in East Troy, Wi same situation. mountain top real dense fog. what a mistake, real sad mistake. i cant even contemplate what the pilot was thinking ? if he was ordered or what ? he should of just refused and said i quit, got out and walked off with the keys. and they would all be here today

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
i forgot. that reminded me of a helicopter joke. so if anbody wants to hear it let me know ?

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, they made a movie recently about things that happened around here years ago. A lot of bad people were involved and this had a lot of local people very nervous, including our local law enforcement. So, when planes or helicopters do strange things around here, it can make a lot of people nervous.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
Well, they made a movie recently about things that happened around here years ago. A lot of bad people were involved and this had a lot of local people very nervous, including our local law enforcement. So, when planes or helicopters do strange things around here, it can make a lot of people nervous.

i would imagine the only ones that get nervous are the ones on the strange end of it ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread