Bridgeport, Utah - Ghost Town - 1902-1940 - in Daggett County, Brown's Park

JamesFariello

May 25, 2008
Brighton, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Whites 808, Eagle Spectrum, Cibola & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bridgeport Utah, N40.90278 W109.14861 , The United States post office at Bridgeport operated from 1902 to 1940. Bridgeport was the community name given to a small ranching area in far eastern Daggett County, Utah, USA, near the Colorado border. The Bridgeport store, saloon and post office were located on the north side of the Green River near the mouth of Jesse Ewing Canyon, near the western end of Browns Park.Bridgeport was developed and operated by Charley Crouse, an early Browns Park pioneer; a second store about two miles upstream was operated by John Jarvie. No trace of the town except the 20180204_143553[1].jpg 20180204_143606[1].jpg 20180204_143612[1].jpg Crouse buildings remains today, but the Jarvie store and farmstead is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is maintained as an interpretive site by the Bureau of Land Management.

mobile miner

Mar 10, 2010
Back in the 70`s and early 80s I worked construction in the Rock Springs, Green River area and Price Utah. A fried took me to Browns Park fishing and I fell in love with the place and spent many weekends fishing and hunting arrow heads form about 72 to about 84. Back then there were very few roads and very few people as you know. As I look at the google maps it`s hard to believe all the changes that have taken place over the years. I came in from Wyo down thru Clay basin or from Vernal over diamond mt.Access to the river then was very limited but looks like now there are roads all up and down the river. To bad, liked it the old way. Now I`m living in Alabama but would love to go back and enjoy the peaceful times I had in Browns Park. Love your post on the history of the park.

OP
OP
JamesFariello

JamesFariello

May 25, 2008
Brighton, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you ever get back, go to Taylor Flat, across the river at the Jarvie Ranch, up the hill, when you get to the street signs, keep on Brown's Park Rd 1/8 mile on left, cabin with green roof. If I am there, stop by please.

mobile miner

Mar 10, 2010
I would love to go back and visit you but old age and not to good health don`t make that to likely. I remember a little log cabin built over a natural spring that was put up by the BLM or park service. There was the remains of an old house there. This was on the south side of the river. That's where I always camped when I was there. Put my drinks in the spring to keep them cool. This was probably a couple miles below the indian crossing. Not sure about that distance. Have a pic of a 6lb rainbow hanging on the cabin somewhere. Love your post. Brings back lots of good memories. By the way, there ain`t no street signs in browns park.

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your posts and pictures of this area ! I am looking foreword to getting up to BP in the next few months. Are these pictures recent ? it doesnt look like there is much snow up there.

OP
OP
JamesFariello

JamesFariello

May 25, 2008
Brighton, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go across the Taylor Flat bridge, past the campground and go up on top of Taylor Flat, when you get to the street signs, keep going straight, 1/8 mile, left, cabin with green roof. If you see a camper or Motorcycle there I am at the cabin. Park, come in the gateway and say hi.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions