10YO son about to be totally stoked! Virgin area hunt to follow.

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulled the trigger today on a new Garrett Ace 300 as an early Birthday present for my 10-year-old son. We had purchased a super-cheapo for him on Xmas to see if he'd have an interest in getting away from the iPad, X-box, PS4 and computers, with a new OUTDOOR hobby. It took root in spades! He is totally into treasure hunting now, either with the MD or searching the beach right behind our house by eye. So it's time to up the ante for him, and the Ace 300 seems like the perfect ticket to his "graduation".
I have a Garrett GTI 2500 that hasn't seen much use for the last few years due to my occupation and work overseas. But now, with my son getting spun up to treasure hunt, it's come back out of the case, and we'll go MD'ing together.

We live on a very large Air Force Base, where my wife is a full Colonel and we live in very Senior Officer Housing. The neighborhoods of old military housing around our house are all being torn down for new modern living quarters being built on another location on the base. As a result, we currently have acres and acres of very recently demolished homes where only the foundations remain until they eventually dig those up as well. All these demolished homes are "Capehart" style military family housing, and were built between 1958-1962, all with backyards and play areas. Literally a minute walk from our back door! So...my son and I will soon be going "prospecting" in those yards, and I expect we will find TONS of coins, with a LOT of silver included due to the construction years, as well as typical yard droppings. Totally virgin territory! Another benefit is that the military is pretty adament about litter control, and those yards are likely to be relatively free of typical pull-tabs, cans, and other trash.
We'll followup here with our results as we test the waters! Lucky for us that access to the base is extremely limited, so TH'ers can't just find their way to these target zones of opportunity, and there are very few TH'ers that I know of living on the base. One additional benefit is not having to worry about clean plugs. The whole area will eventually be bulldozed, so while we will not make a mess, we don't have to worry about protecting grass or esthetics. Faster hunting!

I plan to purchase a Garrett AT Max in the next month, and add a 4.5" SuperSniper coil. The GTI is unwieldly as it is, and that tiny coil would make it difficult to easily maneuver, so beyond it's capable other uses, the Max will be a godsend for running fencelines and curbs.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread