Like to share photos and videos of your finds right from your HONEY HOLE - Read This

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are always the silent members who never post only read. They are the ones you should fear...for they are the ones who will strike your claim when you least expect it. Iā€™m not worried about the guys from the other coast only the ones on my coast who sit and wait like a fisherman waits for a strike at an illegal fishing hole during a fishing ban on prize King Salmon.

If I share a location or post photos which they recognize the surroundings then I offer them my hard earned research on a silver platter. Not certain that applies check this out:
37604979-F347-4482-9D6F-640DBDA415F3.jpeg

124 members and 1918 guests.
Itā€™s not the members you need to fear.

I am now going to give all of the TREASURENET community a HUGE TREASURE SAVING TIP.

As a former professional photographer I know that modern cell phone cameras and a majority of good cameras offer GPS coordinates where the image is captured in the form of Geo-Location That data is embedded within the image that does not show itself when you just look at the photo but with software the embedded data shows itself.

CA1777F2-5362-47E8-A134-3B3C7D691ED8.png

There are Tons of free software that allows you to ā€œread the data and GPS coordinates ā€œ which you can enter in Google Maps and HIT the directions button TO GO TO.

Here is a fast and easy program for JPG and smartphone pic files.
F08A03BC-00B8-46FE-8399-E2F410F1D23A.jpeg

https://readexifdata.com

Here is another one for the super geeks that reads the data from a large number of files
http://exif.regex.info/exif.cgi

In summary

Be careful what treasure photos you post. The photos Iā€™m talking about are in the field photos of the treasure in the hole or you holding that gold coin in your hand next to the hole. And YES you Go-Pro YouTuber Superstars are not immune to this either

These type of shares of videos and photos can come back to haunt you on your next honey hole revisit.

Stay safe my friends , guard your booty & Cheers

Your friend

ā€˜Scoop

A266DA6F-07B1-4451-A0CB-8FD085840543.jpeg

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I show a pic of a site, it is a screen capture that is then cropped so all pic data is lost and it is fresh jpeg

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While you might think this is common knowledge, or common sense, i had no idea any of this was possible. I thought the only data available from my photos was the .jpg name my phone originally gave it, along with any identifying markers i did not crop. I will be following Loco-Diggers idea of a fresh screen shot, cropped while i am off property to keep my permissions just that, mine.
Thank you WaterScoop for bringing this to light for me, and maybe saving me a lot of headache and frustration in the future.

OP
OP
WaterScoop

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought all of the above was just plain common sense?

Not everyone thinks like you and I Loco-Digger and 1320 here is a video to prove it

OP
OP
WaterScoop

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I show a pic of a site, it is a screen capture that is then cropped so all pic data is lost and it is fresh jpeg

If your screen capture shows a landmark which is identifiable to a local you are outed without GPS. The root of my post is to be careful what you share. Itā€™s not the members you must be aware of itā€™s the thousands of guests that hide in the shadows you need to worry about.

Cheers

C68FCC6D-A793-4036-A3DE-087BF3C07CFA.jpeg

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha I'm online in the first picture, I have wondered about this as well. Thank you for your time to write that up and confirming my suspicion...you didn't have to.

OP
OP
WaterScoop

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha I'm online in the first picture, I have wondered about this as well. Thank you for your time to write that up and confirming my suspicion...you didn't have to.

You are a member in good standing itā€™s the guests I don't trust ..L :laughing9: L

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a member in good standing itā€™s the guests I don't trust ..L :laughing9: L
Haha, so I watched the video in the thread...was that a guy digging and burying coins unknowingly??? I'm confused. I also YouTubed a video on it where a guy does a great demo on how to do this shady stuff. Your post should be banner in my opinion.....who knows how many rightful banners you have saved!!!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WaterScoop, thanks for adding more fuel to my slightly uneasy feeling about all of this intrusive crap creeping up on us. I did not know this about the pictures. If I let myself think about this, I see more and more tools in place for the ultimate surveillance state. We voluntarily are installing listening and watching devices in our homes and cars, and all carry a tracking device. Our cars have black boxes, can be turned on or off, locked or unlocked by who knows who. Google, I would say, is the greatest threat to personal freedom and privacy on the planet. Call me paranoid. Thanks.

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WaterScoop, thanks for adding more fuel to my slightly uneasy feeling about all of this intrusive crap creeping up on us. I did not know this about the pictures. If I let myself think about this, I see more and more tools in place for the ultimate surveillance state. We voluntarily are installing listening and watching devices in our homes and cars, and all carry a tracking device. Our cars have black boxes, can be turned on or off, locked or unlocked by who knows who. Google, I would say, is the greatest threat to personal freedom and privacy on the planet. Call me paranoid. Thanks.
I agree

OP
OP
WaterScoop

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Are you aware that all new car tires have RFID chips imbedded in them and are read at all major intersections?

Look at the stop lights and ā€˜freshly installed camerasā€™ at many intersections that now also have a device that measures approx 12x12ā€ which is the receiver transmitter for RFID and camera synchronization.

Here is a photo of what Iā€™m talking about
EB00BC10-1E64-46ED-B2AC-C53760032B4B.jpeg

Youā€™re gonna notice them everywhere now.

Cheers ant remain vigilant my friend!

ā€˜Scoop

6ABF3900-D545-4532-A028-F01908E75439.jpeg
The Golden age of flying First Class

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Personally, if I had a fear issue with my sites, I would distrust the members and guests equally. As a multi year member of this site and one that logs in daily, I've reviewed a lot of other members sites/finds, not one of them ever gave/gives me the urge to "strike a claim". I can't image it happens often but if some fool shares his site and someone else gets on it with proper permission, I think it's fair play. It's nothing I would do though.

Honestly, if one wanted too, it's pretty easy these days to track down any active member on this site without a photo of the honey hole. For instance, if someone wanted to find my honey hole, just view all the posts I've made here over the years and eventually you could pin point where I live within a mile or less. You would be able to "map" my habits very easily. All you'd have to do is park down the road and case me with binoculars, follow me, see me leave my spot then, help yourself to it.

I'm guilty of sharing too much information with my finds but telling/showing the location and/or features of the spot makes for a much more interesting thread. And frankly, anyone that ever messages me openly or privately with an interest in any of my spots receives an invitation. I don't own it and I'll certainly never get it all. Made a few good friends this way. Besides, there isn't anything in the ground (for the most part) that's going to impact my life or those that I invite, why not share?

I get your point though, I guess there are some foxes in the hen house within our hobby.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread