Sep 21, 2013
Wyoming -- Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO
BH Discovery 3300
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Over the last couple of years I have lost most of my sense of balance. On good days I use a cane and on the not so good days I have to use a walker. Uneven ground is not good. I could probably still swing a detector but to try to recover anything, if I get down I can't get back up. I have thought about getting an apprentice, I do the detecting they do the digging. I'm just not sure I can find a young person interested in doing this. I don't want to give up this hobby but I can't do it by my self any more.
Any suggestions or ideas would be gratefully appreciated. Getting old isn't for sissies!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well shoot, Mike. First question that comes to mind is, has a doctor decided what causes this problem? I too have periodic severe tip-over from loss of balance issues, and when I check my blood pressure, it's low. I take meds for high BP, but sometimes have to skip a day or two to get it back up a bit. Really sucks. Maybe you could pick up some of those little colored marker flags at the hardware store, tag a few targets, then go down, and stay down for a while. Wish I could help. If you were close by, I'd go out with you. Good luck.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that sucks Mike. What altitude are you at there? Sometimes that can have a bad effect, and a lower one might be a little better if that's an option. I bet something will work out for you though, take care.

Mr Cheech

Feb 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Do your research into Ginko biloka, and ginger, and decide if they are worth a try. Good luck.

OP
OP
WyoMike

WyoMike

Sep 21, 2013
Wyoming -- Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO
BH Discovery 3300
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well shoot, Mike. First question that comes to mind is, has a doctor decided what causes this problem? I too have periodic severe tip-over from loss of balance issues, and when I check my blood pressure, it's low. I take meds for high BP, but sometimes have to skip a day or two to get it back up a bit. Really sucks. Maybe you could pick up some of those little colored marker flags at the hardware store, tag a few targets, then go down, and stay down for a while. Wish I could help. If you were close by, I'd go out with you. Good luck.

I have been through the wringer with Cheyenne Medical Center and the VA. Nobody can pinpoint what is wrong or what to do about it. I've been scanned and X-rayed from head to foot, spinal tap and nerve conduction tests. I have had several bad falls with broken shoulder blade and ribs. It looks like this is permanent.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
this sounds bad and it is but I have fallen as much as 3 times a week at times. mine is from past strokes that challenge me but also from a dragging foot( motorcycle accident in the 70s +botched operation). I use a walking staff most of the time except when detecting and then I use a shovel for both a cane and to get back up with. also the reason I went with the Deus, so much lighter and wireless. I am also limited on how long I hunt mainly because of how my one foot and leg drain me on just getting around. part of it is the fact that I mean to get out and detect even if only for a short time at a time. I either find a place to sit here and there of something like a tree to lean on. I have already given up several hobbies and plan to keep at this for as long as I can. I walk like a drunk, both from the strokes and the bum foot. A motorized wheelchair might help somewhat. I really hope that you find out the cause of your problem. it is getting harder to find a young person that is willing to do anything outside for the video games but that would be a great way to both teach and still be part of the sport.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear. I am somewhat handicapped also. Mainly arthritis. But it is terrible plus a few other goodies to go along with it. And getting older isn't for sissies. I have trouble picking my feet up when walking, so tripping is a #1 past time if I'm not careful. Haven't fallen in awhile, though. I use my long handled digger as a cane when swinging. That really helps. I can't get down on the ground anymore. If I do, I can't get up again, so what I did is go buy a folding aluminum camp stool and drag the blasted thing with me everywhere. After the initial hole is opened, I sit on it and lean over and retrieve the goodie. Or aluminum. You can also use a 5 gallon bucket. And I still dig really good stuff I supposed because I go slow.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Use a stability device ! Cane/ walker /stick/ rollalator ect . Whatever it takes for stability when you need it( before you crash.) Even beyond detecting. Do it.
What matters is your stability , your mobility , and not breaking precious body parts. Use devices for your advantage and throw modesty and any feeling of appearing feeble out the window. This is about preserving you ,and the future of your mobility.

One detectorist showed his wheeled garden cart he used.
I use a wheelchair ,but have balance and enough core strength ,and no big belly to fight.
Most recoveries from the chair are fine.

You need strength. Once able to lift yourself from the ground to sitting ,( eventually you must) you still need to transfer properly ,despite vertigo....
Not saying you need to have a rehab tech work with you ,but certain things need to be known( by you) to know what you can do. Health wise besides your " dizzyness". Once you know it's alright to strain ,then you determine your limits....exercise helps.

There is a way to detect of course, that's up to you. Being sure you can first,( your health condition besides dizzy ness) ,then the how.
Always a way. May be different ,but still.....

Last edited:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
last year, two falls resulted in partial tears of both rotor cuffs, really slowed me down. it is amazing what I can trip over. I can do it on a flat floor, like at say, walmart

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
last year, two falls resulted in partial tears of both rotor cuffs, really slowed me down. it is amazing what I can trip over. I can do it on a flat floor, like at say, walmart
Danged paper clips!

I've done a couple ,miss the door handle ; pirouette and then crash maneuvers. Never gracefully.

OP
OP
WyoMike

WyoMike

Sep 21, 2013
Wyoming -- Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO
BH Discovery 3300
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
releventchair. Thank you for advice. There is no dizziness to deal with. Something will disturb my balance and down I go. Once I am down there is no getting up on my own. I'm in fairly good shape but when I fall all strength and coordination are gone. I have looked at walkers with a seat that would probably work but there is still the problem of recovery.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get in touch with the local Boy Scouts of America Troop. Talk to the Scoutmaster and see if there may be a merit badge that is part of being of service to others. I would think that they are always looking to do good deeds.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been through the wringer with Cheyenne Medical Center and the VA. Nobody can pinpoint what is wrong or what to do about it. I've been scanned and X-rayed from head to foot, spinal tap and nerve conduction tests. I have had several bad falls with broken shoulder blade and ribs. It looks like this is permanent.

Need a better answer from medical staff.
Inner ear is our gyroscope. They checked both?

Don't try it without a gait belt and support of someone who can hold you..... but standing on one leg takes core strength and balance.
Even then when it is practiced till it seems easy ,when you close your eyes , balance goes awry. ( Why?).

For fun , bet your medical folks (who don't have an accurate diagnosis on you) that you can put them in a position , without touching them ; where they can not lift their leg.
Should your offer be accepted ,have them stand sideways to a wall. Have them stand with the wall side foot touching the bottom of wall where it meets floor.
( Foot is parallel to wall and side of it touching). Then have them touch the wall side shoulder against wall. With foot and shoulder touching wall ,tell them to lift their other foot off the floor.

( Or try it on anyone. L.o.l..).

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the same call and promised to send them the money as soon as the Nigerian prince sent me his. I hope it gets here because I'm too old to do time!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your not taking Meds to quit Smoking Are You ?

Ever since My dr. Prescribed Wellbutrin to try and force me off smoking, I've had problems
with the world spinning out of Control on occasions.
So I quit Wellbutrin Instead.
It calmed down allot when I went off it.

But still get spells since I quit smoking.

Just not as much anymore.
as long as I don't lay on My back, or right side.
Occasionally While sitting watching TV if I turn My head,
The world will spin. But the Nurse at the Hospital Taught me an Exercise to Stop Vertigo
faster. I don't think I can describe it with words, Other then to say Turn head Up, Down,Right,Left, Sideways Right, Sideways Left , & Repeat till Things Stabelize.

Usually when I trip & fall though, it's got nothing to do with inner Ear.
My left ankle gives out on occasion, Or I trip over my Feet :laughing9:

Old Age definitely Sucks

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WyoMike: Go see a Neurotologist, which is a neurologist that specializes
in the inner ear.

You likely have an issue there, and a Neurotologist can run a few simple tests
and possibly tell you what the issue is, as well as suggesting a treatment.

I have what's know as Bi-lateral Meniere's Disease, which is not your issue,
but I too can fall often as a result of the inner ear damage. You may need
to only change something in your diet, take an anti-viral, or go through some
sessions for vestibular rehab.

No guarantee's, but it's certainly a shot worth taking.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A lot of it is we are just getting older. Without exercise like walking we tend to lose muscle tone in our legs that will result in balance problems.I try to walk weather permitting 3 days a week.11/2 to 2 miles each time. You Won't believe the difference it makes.For every pound you lose it takes 65 lbs of pressure off of your back. I don't mean walking and detecting. Just walking at a steady pace. I know from experience it helps me with 2 right hip replacements and L3-L4,L-4L5 and L5-S1 all repaired. Believe me just as much as you can move helps more than not moving. We can fix some of this balance problem. Good luck and Let's all walk to save our balance.:thumbsup:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get in touch with the local Boy Scouts of America Troop. Talk to the Scoutmaster and see if there may be a merit badge that is part of being of service to others. I would think that they are always looking to do good deeds.
I don't know how they operate these days, but there might be an Eagle Scout project in that.

OP
OP
WyoMike

WyoMike

Sep 21, 2013
Wyoming -- Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO
BH Discovery 3300
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WyoMike: Go see a Neurotologist, which is a neurologist that specializes
in the inner ear.

You likely have an issue there, and a Neurotologist can run a few simple tests
and possibly tell you what the issue is, as well as suggesting a treatment.

I have what's know as Bi-lateral Meniere's Disease, which is not your issue,
but I too can fall often as a result of the inner ear damage. You may need
to only change something in your diet, take an anti-viral, or go through some
sessions for vestibular rehab.

No guarantee's, but it's certainly a shot worth taking.

I did have a problem like this several years ago. The Dr. who found the cause said a nerve in my left ear quit working. He said that in 6 to 8 weeks my brain would adjust to it. It did and no problems till this started a couple of years ago. That Dr. was the first place I went. They did tests and he said it wasn't in my ear this time, which has been confirmed every place I've been to since. The neurologist at the VA says the part of my brain that controls balance is not working right, but offers no advice on what to do about it.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The neurologist at the VA says the part of my brain that controls balance
is not working right, but offers no advice on what to do about it.

In that case, I would stick with doing balance rehab. The doc didn't know what
to do about it because, as far as I know, there is nothing they can do about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread