My thesis of coins around ant nests

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading Mastereagles post about ants i got an idea.It seems ants coexist with other insects that chemically are the same.Ants will even allow other insects into the nest without attacking them.I believe a coin in the ground oxidating has the same hydrocarbons of the ant.Because of oxidation the ant is drawn to the coin.Yesterday i found some pot metal and it was infested with ants.I know this sounds strange but what do you think?Oh by the way i bumped my head on a tree branch and i hope it had nothing to do with my thesis. :D AA

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting. . . two days ago I was hunting a shaded, sidewalk area near the old high school (1940's) and got a strong signal about 5" deep right over a huge ant mound. After one cut for the plug, there were THOUSANDS of ants running helter-skelter over everything :o When they started climbing on me, I retreated from the dig. . . I know exactly where the spot is so I'll check it out again in a week-or-two and let you know the outcome.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
aa battery,

had the same thought a few years back. :-\

However :P..............................

I came to the conclusion that the finds
are attracted to the ants ;), not the ants
to the finds. :)

have a good un...............
SHERMANVILLE

Nickel_Buff1935

Jun 1, 2007
NY
Detector(s) used
MINELAB X-Terra 50 & WHITE'S MXT
I too have dug many a metal object amongst ant colonies ;)

I have my own theory...

In my opinion the ants nest close to buried metal for warmth.

During the heat of the day the shallow buried metal absorbs heat and radiates this warmth well into the cooler evening.

We all know how much insects like heat, it seems the only resonable explanation.

To me anyways ;D

Nickel_B

FireRescue

Jul 28, 2007
Middle Georgia
I would have to say that the "heat sink" idea sounds very plausable, insect can detect small changes in temp, so that could be a deciding factor of colony position.
cheers.

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK we have warmth, shelter,water,and oxidation.Oh i forgot Shermans thesis of coins finding the ants ??? Does the oxidation of metal feed the ant larvae?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO AA-a:

Down here we have the leaf cutting ants. They construct huge mounds and underground chambers where they grow their food, a fungas. They are associated with the so called "fires-luminous gas) often associated with buried metal / treasures. I have found that they often occur over and around buried metal of all types, including veins.

Despite the sceptics north of here, many treasures and veins have been found by the luminous gas that is generated.

Yes, I personally have found a cache of many sacks of silver coins that were stolen from a mule train -all of the mule driver were killed. I was taken to the general location because of the "fires - luminous gas" that had been seen by many. Yes, there was an ant nest there.

The metal detector pinpointed the spot. The result has been posted in here in dowsing I believe.

Based upon the above, I would say chemical conditions prevail.

Don Jose de La Mancha

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Last weekend I dug up a couple of spent shotgun shells. Put them in my pocket just to remove the junk. I laid them on the floor in my truck as I was leaving, anyway hundreds of tiny ants emerged! I bailed out of my truck and turned my pocket inside out, tons of the little bas----s! So if you look in the woods for 2 red spent shotgun shells, you'll be close to one of my topsecret spots!

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks RT that is very interesting iam starting to rethink my way of searching for coins and other metals.It doesnt mean every ant nest has a coin in it but now iam paying more attention to my surroundings .Thank you Mastereagle22 for posting ants you made me think . ;) AA

NorCal 6er

Aug 24, 2006
chowchilla, ca
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, GMT, XLT, Fisher C$, Gold Bug 2, 1225, 1220, Minelab SD2200v2
Not sure if this helps but I have found that the ground is wet or damp 4 out of 5 times
4 had coins
5th one that was dry had a cast iron thingie about 6" still had lots of ants no coin

HH
Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread