My return to metal detecting

Illinois Jeff

Feb 12, 2006
Hanover Park Illinois
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at purchasing another detector as I had to sell my XLT. Unfortunately there are no dealers in my area that I can find so I can actually see a detector up close to see if i like it. I just ordered the latest Whites catalog and like several of the top of the line models but would to hear from others about what they have and if they really like the models. Any dislikes? Problems? Concerns etc. I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the group.

I quit detecting in 1987 and returned to the hobby in 2013. Looked around and found TNet after a number of other forums. Stuck here and haven't been back to the others.

I've too many detectors now, 6 and actually looking at a 7th right now - replacing my very first detector for my "museum" I guess you'd call it. Whites are great detectors with a serious history.

However, the new kid in town is the Minelab Equinox, and it is receiving absolute rave reviews on here. You might want to read some of those posts before making up your mind. They're so good I've pondered selling my CTX to purchase one myself.

halfstep

May 11, 2010
I suggest looking at the detectors that are waterproof. Even if you don't live by an ocean beach, there are lots of little swimming holes scattered about that can produce nice goodies. Minelab, White's, Garrett and several others makes great land detectors that are waterproof. These detectors can be submerged to 10 feet or so. Having a waterproof detector will add to the places a person can detect and offer a change of pace.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a long held opinion that Whites machines are overpriced, over complicated, and way over hyped. Minelab Equinox 600 - Waterproof; 5kHz - 10kHz - 15kHz - PLUS a Multi-frequency mode $650.00

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some great machines in my arsenal. Like everyone is saying,, I'm keeping an eye on the Equinox.
Maybe,, just maybe.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jeff when you ask a question like this it would help to Tell people what type of hunting you do , Type of area you are hunting in (ground conditions ) Amount in your budget you can spare to get a detector.

OP
OP
I

Illinois Jeff

Feb 12, 2006
Hanover Park Illinois
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually a great point. I usually stay in Illinois........parks, forest preserves, old building sites etc. I have done some detecting along river banks and some beach hunting. The XLT used to be pretty good in all these areas but it looks like technology has improved quite a bit. I'm not really worried about the cost but want reliability and something that is not overly complicated but I do tend to learn fairly quickly. The XLT was my second whites model and it took a few afternoons to pick that one up.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff I know quite a few people that love there Garrett At Pro. Once they learn the machine they do quite well with it. If you want to water hunt the AT Pro is completely water proof. You should be able to get one for under $600. Most important KNOW YOU MACHINE !!!It really is a great detector.

If your not in that big of a hurry sources tell me the Minelab Equinox if VERY GOOD detector, Check videos on both machines, Hope this helps

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've said before.... picking a detector is like picking a partner..... you swear by it or swear at it. ╦╦Ç

sataro

Jan 16, 2013
Corsicana, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 | Nokta Simplex+ | Tesoro Mohave | Quest Xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My partner just received his Equinox 800 in so he is ready to take it out this weekend. I decided to upgrade to the new Makro Multi Kruzer. This is my third Makro/Nokta detector & really like them. Hoping to get out this weekend & compare them side by side...

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome back to detecting Jeff.
I like the new Equinox for its fast recovery, depth and it’s ability to get into salt water and perform great in mineralized ground. Not to mention it’s multi frequency.
I like the Xp Deus equally for its light weight, recovery speed and ergonomics. The new HF Coils for the Deus are awesome.
Both the Equinox 800 and the Deus have wireless capabilities. Best of luck Jeff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread