Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three summers ago, our 15 yr old daughter let's out a blood curdling scream and busts through the bedroom door.."SNAKE IN MY ROOM SNAKE SNAKE SNAKE!!!...We live out in the rurals, of course it's not uncommon to see the occasional black or garter snake now and then, especially in the wood piles. I'm like "No way is there a snake in your room" She said it was in her closet (she watches a too many scary movies). LO AND BEHOLD...a garter snake curled up on top of a laundry basket. So after disposing of said trespasser, I started asking myself how in the HECK did that thing get in our house? Twas a mystery...until about 3 weeks later, I saw one of the cats carrying a stick across the driveway...that's funny I thought...cat carrying a stick? Thennnn...stick moved. Omg...stinking cat was carrying a snake around in its mouth! The cats are indoor/outdoor and cat owners know how them stoopid fur balls live to drag their quarry in to "show" us. Mystery solved, kitty brought snake into the house...smelled Kibbles...dropped Mr. Garter and ate din din. Didn't know what to boot-stomp first, the cat or the snake...but both were granted asylum, Mr. Garter I tossed onto a creek bank with a "BAD SNAKE"...and watched him slither under some leaves. Kitty was granted time served since she mauls every mouse and mole in a hundred yard radius. We keep all the doors closed now, no matter how nice the weather...Ddf

Last edited:

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Have had them stand up at me , like in Terrys post , really unnerving , three inch wide head and 72 inches long 5 inches across the belly 17 rattlers and a button. by far the biggist that wanted me. i see more than i want sometimes.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I even read this Thread, I am NOT a snake person.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Uhhh...Let's not. 😠

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday the Wife brought me a Pine Snake that She picked up in a flower bed. She was wearing gloves.
We leave the non poisonous ones alone to eat insects. Got a few copperheads but seldom see one.
Last year we had a 3' King snake living under one of our storage buildings. Daughter has had two large Black Snakes around her house and dares anyone to bother them.
As a general rule, IMO, all snakes do more good than bad.
It is illegal to kill a non poisonous snake in Georgia and you can only kill a poisonous snake if it is a threat to your well being.
Marvin

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EVERY SNAKE can KILL you !!!!! Have you ever heard of a HEART ATTACK LOL

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
Virginia & Collier Cty FL
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I saw more snakes last Spring than ever. I used to not think twice about them (def once!) but a cotton mouth launched itself at me - caught the movement out of the corner of my eye. Thank God for quick reflexes. That sure shook me up. Now, if there is brush along the water, I pick up and toss rocks or sticks ahead of me. I even bought some snake guards but am kind of reluctant to be seen in them.

Last edited:

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
My son did the same thing a few years ago while digging a signal in the woods. He saw what looked like a thick rope. Having gloves on, he could not feel the texture of the skin and yanked the snake out of the hole. Since it was cold, the snake was pretty lethargic and didn't do more than scare the Bleep out of my son. Lesson learned, never assume snakes are not around in the winter.

Better make that 2 out of 25,000. I got it too.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A coupe years ago a man camping in the Medix run area (Close to Benezette) He was setting at his camp fire around midnight and reached in his wood pile for another piece of wood. A timber rattler bit him on the hand. This fellow did not know where the hospital was and had no cell phone coverage I am not sure if he made it to the hospital. But i do know the snakebite to him was FATAL. If your out camping be careful and ESPICALLY around your wood piles !

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my side of Keating Summit, no rattles.
On that side,, lots of snakes. Every once in a while, people spot a rattled in my area that some say must have fallen off a truck full of logs.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Against the wind: My guess would be the South side of the mountains gets th7e most sun and warmth. That side probably would have the most snakes. BUT I have been WRONG BEFORE !!

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A coupe years ago a man camping in the Medix run area (Close to Benezette) He was setting at his camp fire around midnight and reached in his wood pile for another piece of wood. A timber rattler bit him on the hand. This fellow did not know where the hospital was and had no cell phone coverage I am not sure if he made it to the hospital. But i do know the snakebite to him was FATAL. If your out camping be careful and ESPICALLY around your wood piles !

He was highly allergic to the venom just as some people are highly allergic to bee venom.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread