Question for the Old timers !

VooDoo710

Jan 25, 2018
North East Ohio, Painesville
Detector(s) used
F44, F5, Bounty Hunter Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys. . . I am asking for help on how to start on this . . . I want to start to look for ( and hopefully find ) some possible old spent bullets the older the better. Finding maps and info on places to hunt is Proving very difficult. I was wondering if any of you old time diggers would have a place where they find or have found old spent bullets? Maybe a Map of sorts ? Let me know if you can help me out in this search. I live in Painesville Township , Oh And am willing to travel but not a huge distance. Not to mention I would love to tag along or have some of you guys tag along with me on my new adventure.

Feel free to Contact me here or at my email that is in my signature I would love to hear your stories and see your finds !

If your lose enough we can meet at my lace or a coffee house to shoot the breeze and show pictures . . .

Hope to hear from you soon Thanks for reading and Good luck hunting !

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try the local Shooting range. I have no doubts they have lots of rounds to dig. Just don't dig while they are shooting!

OP
OP
VooDoo710

VooDoo710

Jan 25, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try the local Shooting range. I have no doubts they have lots of rounds to dig. Just don't dig while they are shooting!

Ty for your ingenious plan ! Not to mention the safety tip! I will keep that in mind thanks

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old quarrys.

I found a "hot spot" on my own property that had been an ancient fallen tree trunk were a pasture edge had been near the road. Apparently locals or a family had used it for years to shoot. I must have pulled 20 lbs of lead out of a three-foot area. Even found bits of the trunk with slugs still embedded.

One nearby spot that is no longer accessible was a Civil Defense (as I recall) rifle range that had been built around the time of WWI. When I was a kid it was officially abandoned but still used by local residents for shooting. Now it's a development of manufactured homes. Happily not on well water (there must be a LOT of lead in that soil).

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK then, from an (Old Timer), I have found spent bullets almost anywhere over the years, at random out in woods, fields even parks, as well as live dropped ammo, from .22 short up through 30-30 & 30-06, and a couple of old unfired "Rim fire" rounds, as well as a few musket and pistol balls. For 3 ringer type CW, not so much West Coast. OLD rifle ranges, tons of them I would guess. I have no good answer for you VooDoo, for me they just show up where I find them. No real help here.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Farm fields, depressions in the woods, flood plains like below. :skullflag:

Attachments

• Bulleets.jpg
    Bulleets.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
VooDoo710

VooDoo710

Jan 25, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK then, from an (Old Timer), I have found spent bullets almost anywhere over the years, at random out in woods, fields even parks, as well as live dropped ammo, from .22 short up through 30-30 & 30-06, and a couple of old unfired "Rim fire" rounds, as well as a few musket and pistol balls. For 3 ringer type CW, not so much West Coast. OLD rifle ranges, tons of them I would guess. I have no good answer for you VooDoo, for me they just show up where I find them. No real help here.

First and foremost I would like to thank you for your reply. I have found a few live bulletsalso . What I am looking for are old 3 ringers buletts ( as you spoke of in hour reply )not so much new lead. Maybe I should have specified in the first post on what I meant by spent lead. I will go back and re edit it to be more specific to what I was meaning . As for you find ding ammo like you do good for you I wish you more good luck and good hunts !

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For three ringers I would say concentrate to old CW battlefields.

American_Civil_War_Battles_by_Theater%2C_Year.png

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research your area and find out where turkey shoots were held. Most communities had them as part of local fairs.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I also recommend checking old stone wall lined woods, particularly near where you know a house or people would have been. You will probably find old muzzle loading bullets and musket balls if you look hard enough, normally they are all together in a close area. I have a Mason jar half full of musket balls found at this type of site. Good luck, I hope you find a lot of old bullets!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
VooDoo you need to read up on Ohio units, forts, and camps that existed back in the CW era. You may find that many have been built over, but there is a chance you can find one that's now a wooded area or field. Good Luck & Happy Hunting.

I am meeting with a few fellow Tnetters down in VA this year to enjoy a CW relic hunt, something I have always wanted to do. Just hanging with the guys will be fun enough, but digging a few 3 ringers and maybe a CW related relic or 2 will allow me to make a sweet display of the hunt.

damando

Jan 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys. . . I am asking for help on how to start on this . . . I want to start to look for ( and hopefully find ) some possible old spent bullets the older the better. Finding maps and info on places to hunt is Proving very difficult. I was wondering if any of you old time diggers would have a place where they find or have found old spent bullets? Maybe a Map of sorts ? Let me know if you can help me out in this search. I live in Painesville Township , Oh And am willing to travel but not a huge distance. Not to mention I would love to tag along or have some of you guys tag along with me on my new adventure.

Feel free to Contact me here or at my email that is in my signature I would love to hear your stories and see your finds !

If your lose enough we can meet at my lace or a coffee house to shoot the breeze and show pictures . . .

Hope to hear from you soon Thanks for reading and Good luck hunting !
You can also check small streams and rivers. They're hotbeds of all sorts of things. Not just bullets but everything that anyone ever tossed into it over yrs, even as far back as the Civil War and then some.

john845

Dec 26, 2017
Newburgh ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Class III SL. Spectrum xlt Tesoro Vaquero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try an old woods were people went hunting. i have all sorts of rounds that i have found like that

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok the way I understand what you want to find is spent bullets from around the civil war era (3 ringers) . Check your local history books and maps and see if there were mustering in camps near you (Training camps) civil war . Once you find a camp go there and see if you can find any spots that would have a place for earth back stops. Also to go to these such places please GET PERMISSION before you dig : Hope this helps. I live about 80 miles south of you.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All great advice. I'll add my thoughts.
Water sources were critical to moving army's, and if you can determine the route of travel and locate those sources they can be great places to hunt. Not just soilders but travelers in general gathered at these springs on a regular basis.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread