Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Opinions on detecting Section 8 housing?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2017
    Georgia/Alabama
    Minelab GM1000 White's GMZ White's Spectrum XLT
    242 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    They can due whatever illicit activity they choose. That's their life. I'd witness them doing illicit activity while I'm doing illicit activity lol. I've pretty much come to terms with, and accepted the fact, that metal detecting is basically illegal . Especially in the East/South-east where there's an abundance of history being intentionally covered up I believe. But that's just a side rant. They area was pretty deserted, so I'm not concerned with the area. I do need to find a USED 5.3" or 4x6"DD coil for my machine though to really take advantage of the area.

us
    Jan 2018
    Florida
    Garrett GTI 2500 Pro with 9.5", 12" & Super Sniper coils, Garrett Treasure Hound Deep Depth Multiplier, Garrett Pin Pointer Pro II, Bounty Hunter Legacy 1000
    178 times
    I'm heading out in the morning to do a early swing on a still standing condemned wooden ex military housing one bedroom. It has all kinds of signs posted on the house and windows, but none on the property. I am hoping for something nice and fast.. I tried to dig a bulldozed one last week and it was heavily HEAVILYtrashed as Carolina Tom says. I'm hoping that still standing works better. The also "before they get up clause" is pretty good info too! And of course use your headphones!!! I keep my eyes open, my keys around my neck and my Feska Digging knife out. I also arrive ready to swing, no getting ready on site.
    Carolina Tom likes this.

Aug 2017
    Georgia/Alabama
    242 times
    I always make sure I come prepared with alot more than just my detector and trowel lol. People are sketchy enough, add in wild hogs to the mix, it's a recipe for disaster waiting to happen.

us
    Been there...Dug that

Mar 2015
    Northern Illinois
    MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS, White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
    997 times
    Metal Detecting
    Can I have your car? And your detector? 😂 Eh...don't sweat it that much. My Mentor and I used to hit the worst parks in Chicago years ago without issue. Of course, there were always 2 or 3 unmarked Tac Unit squads watching us... using us as bait, I presume. 😂
    "There's GOLD in them thar hills! Well...at least a coupla nice Mercs."

Aug 2017
    Georgia/Alabama
    242 times
    Lol. Yeah. I think it's only an issue if you make yourself a soft target

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    8976 times
    Metal Detecting
    Wear puncture resistant gloves. Likely lots of "sharps" in the form of discarded needles in the area.

Oh, I'm so bigoted.
    Carolina Tom and Gare like this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Been there...Dug that

Mar 2015
    Northern Illinois
    MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS, White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
    997 times
    Metal Detecting
    I forgot to mention that I was on the job at the time and always had one of Mr. Browning's inventions with me. 😁
    "There's GOLD in them thar hills! Well...at least a coupla nice Mercs."

us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    AT Pro, Fisher F75 Limited, White M6, XP Deus Lesche hand digger,Lesche Predator shovel.NEL Storm and Tornado coils.
    1119 times
    I 've got a public place i've got premission to hunt on the wrong side of the tracks. I carry a saftey green vest I wear. Kinda lika a city worker wears. Try to blend in. I know it sounds kinda funny but but if you go back enough,they will get use to you but you need to stay alert. You can bet somebody is watching. Good luck.
    Words not spoken never have to be defended

us
    Silver Coin Fiend

Apr 2014
    Charlotte
    XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
    13797 times
    Digging In Strangers Front Yards
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by rook3434 View Post
    I 've got a public place i've got premission to hunt on the wrong side of the tracks. I carry a saftey green vest I wear. Kinda lika a city worker wears. Try to blend in. I know it sounds kinda funny but but if you go back enough,they will get use to you but you need to stay alert. You can bet somebody is watching. Good luck.
    I have orange "city worker" shirts that I wear too. The garbage man will sell to you for $20! Works like a charm.

Aug 2017
    Georgia/Alabama
    242 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY) View Post
    Wear puncture resistant gloves. Likely lots of "sharps" in the form of discarded needles in the area.

Oh, I'm so bigoted.
    Nah, I wouldn't say you're bigoted. That's a fair assumption to make. I had to use the bathroom, so I drove to the nearest place (dollar general). The "public restrooms" were locked and you had to get the key from the cashier. Now, for a gas station with outside restrooms, I can totally see needing a key...but inside a DG? Apparently theft and people shooting up and passing out in the bathrooms was a big deal. I live just outside of the city, but technically part of the city, and I have never heard anything about the area like shootings, gang activity, drug dealing, etc. When I drove through, there was a bunch of kids playing outside, and didnt seen hardly any adults. So I wouldn't say that the area is "dangerous," but probably houses some druggies inside and passed out, people down on their luck, people playing the system, etc. Like I said, I'm not too worried about it. Not somewhere I would bring my kids detecting with me, but not some where I feel like a target at either lol.

us
    May 2010
    Northern Ohio
    Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
    463 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I work at a hospital with mostly section 8 and homeless patients. Even hunting armed, which I always do now-a-days, I stay out of their hoods.

um
    Dec 2008
    2655 times
    Just curious: Section 8 is a Federal government program that pays part of all the monthly rent for people enrolled in the program. Section 8 doesn't own anything. The local housing authority may well own the property you're looking at. If it does, then it is government (not necessarily city) property. But that doesn't directly relate to Section 8 - although when people were living there some of them may have been enrolled in the Section 8 program. And, just to make it more complicated, some time ago Section 8 certificates were issued for entire properties. That hasn't been done for many years - now certificates are issued to individuals. And most properties with some or all tenants participating in Section 8 are privately-owned. To further muddy the waters, "Section 8" is a term some people mis-use to describe public (government-owned) housing.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
    Clay Diggins likes this.
    Make America Think Again

Do you have good books in good condition you are never going to re-read? Clean 'em out!
    Operation Paperback collects gently used books and sends them to American troops.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    8575 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by against the wind View Post
    I always believed that city property is fair game and that you can hunt it until someone with authority says otherwise. The early projects built in the 50's and 60's and may reward you with silver. I don't know if the people living there will agree with what you're doing though.
    I do not hesitate to help myself and the abandoned boarded up ones. And yes: If built in the 1940s or 50s can have silver. But yes, will be Junky.

us
    May 2010
    Northern Ohio
    Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
    463 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Yes, most of the section 8 residences that I know of are privately owned "Group Homes" that rent apartments to tennents who receive a voucher that pays a large portion of the rent.
    Viaqua and Clay Diggins like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2007
    Colorado
    Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
    731 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ok, I got a story. I go over to a park in the city to hunt. There is a gravel parking lot that is empty. A beater car comes flying over the hill and the guy is doing donuts and spraying gravel everywhere at me. Suddenly a pair of wildlife officers in a 4X4 with blue lights flashing, appear and stop him cold. I think he got away with just a warning. This is why I don't hunt in the city much. Just too much craziness!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links