Opinions on detecting Section 8 housing?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I forgot to mention that I was on the job at the time and always had one of Mr. Browning's inventions with me. 😁

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I 've got a public place i've got premission to hunt on the wrong side of the tracks. I carry a saftey green vest I wear. Kinda lika a city worker wears. Try to blend in. I know it sounds kinda funny but but if you go back enough,they will get use to you but you need to stay alert. You can bet somebody is watching. Good luck.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I 've got a public place i've got premission to hunt on the wrong side of the tracks. I carry a saftey green vest I wear. Kinda lika a city worker wears. Try to blend in. I know it sounds kinda funny but but if you go back enough,they will get use to you but you need to stay alert. You can bet somebody is watching. Good luck.

I have orange "city worker" shirts that I wear too. The garbage man will sell to you for $20! Works like a charm.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wear puncture resistant gloves. Likely lots of "sharps" in the form of discarded needles in the area.

Oh, I'm so bigoted.
Nah, I wouldn't say you're bigoted. That's a fair assumption to make. I had to use the bathroom, so I drove to the nearest place (dollar general). The "public restrooms" were locked and you had to get the key from the cashier. Now, for a gas station with outside restrooms, I can totally see needing a key...but inside a DG? Apparently theft and people shooting up and passing out in the bathrooms was a big deal. I live just outside of the city, but technically part of the city, and I have never heard anything about the area like shootings, gang activity, drug dealing, etc. When I drove through, there was a bunch of kids playing outside, and didnt seen hardly any adults. So I wouldn't say that the area is "dangerous," but probably houses some druggies inside and passed out, people down on their luck, people playing the system, etc. Like I said, I'm not too worried about it. Not somewhere I would bring my kids detecting with me, but not some where I feel like a target at either lol.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I work at a hospital with mostly section 8 and homeless patients. Even hunting armed, which I always do now-a-days, I stay out of their hoods.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Just curious: Section 8 is a Federal government program that pays part of all the monthly rent for people enrolled in the program. Section 8 doesn't own anything. The local housing authority may well own the property you're looking at. If it does, then it is government (not necessarily city) property. But that doesn't directly relate to Section 8 - although when people were living there some of them may have been enrolled in the Section 8 program. And, just to make it more complicated, some time ago Section 8 certificates were issued for entire properties. That hasn't been done for many years - now certificates are issued to individuals. And most properties with some or all tenants participating in Section 8 are privately-owned. To further muddy the waters, "Section 8" is a term some people mis-use to describe public (government-owned) housing.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I always believed that city property is fair game and that you can hunt it until someone with authority says otherwise. The early projects built in the 50's and 60's and may reward you with silver. I don't know if the people living there will agree with what you're doing though.

I do not hesitate to help myself and the abandoned boarded up ones. And yes: If built in the 1940s or 50s can have silver. But yes, will be Junky.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, most of the section 8 residences that I know of are privately owned "Group Homes" that rent apartments to tennents who receive a voucher that pays a large portion of the rent.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, I got a story. I go over to a park in the city to hunt. There is a gravel parking lot that is empty. A beater car comes flying over the hill and the guy is doing donuts and spraying gravel everywhere at me. Suddenly a pair of wildlife officers in a 4X4 with blue lights flashing, appear and stop him cold. I think he got away with just a warning. This is why I don't hunt in the city much. Just too much craziness!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is getting very scary to dig in such places. Please keep this in mind your DANGER might not be in another person. PLEASE think of all the NEEDLES THROWN AWAY . A prick by a needle could put you in the grave !!

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ask around where a dump might be some old bottles from that era are pretty collectible and fun to find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread