Opinions on detecting Section 8 housing?

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everybody. In my town, there's these really old section 8 housing buildings by the industrial side of town. Looking at the parcel data, it is registered as "the housing authority." From my understanding, this program is ran by the city, and funded by the town's citizens tax dollars. These buildings appear to be mostly abandoned, but some are occupied. There's about 6-8 buildings, all with individual housing inside (like an apartment). They're "U" shaped, with a court yard in the middle, and side walk splitting the middle length wise, and other side walks running from the main side walk to the main doors. Would you all consider this the equivalent of "city of xxxx" property? Would you detect it? I'm not worried about the area or anything. I'm a cool guy and easy to get along with...and I always have some protection on my side ;). I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
We have the same thing in Charlotte. We hunt them, but carefully, as the residents can be aggressive... especially after a few drinks. Early morning works best, as they are not early rising folks.

Be prepared for a lot of trash. These places tend to be covered in bottle caps and modern trash. I manage to scratch up a few silver coins from these spots.

Good luck to you!

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not too worried about pull tabs. I NEVER dig them...i also never find any nickels lol. And I plan to go at 3pm. today. Thanks for the input and advice.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not too worried about pull tabs. I NEVER dig them...i also never find any nickels lol. And I plan to go at 3pm. today. Thanks for the input and advice.

Let us know how you do. GL.

I got two gold rings so far this year, by digging the pull tabs. Fear not!

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I knew what a gold ring rings up as on my XLT. I also wish I knew what a gold coin rings up as. I pretty much only dig signals for pennies, dimes, quarters, and silver. I wish all the "foil" signals that pop up were actually gold like the VDI listing suggests, but that's not happening lol.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
'Mostly abandoned',Section 8 housing project in an industrial area.......... I can think of several other locations of higher priority that I would check out before I'd venture into the Section 8 yards.
Don.......

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Nothing wrong at all with thinking outside the box. Maybe everyone else has had Mackaydon's mindset and the place is loaded. I'd give it a shot.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Mostly abandoned',Section 8 housing project in an industrial area.......... I can think of several other locations of higher priority that I would check out before I'd venture into the Section 8 yards.
Don.......
It's pre 1908 though. They were old housings/buildings developed into the section 8 housing. The area has A LOT of history, including civil war battles, it was a 'Sin City in the 1950's with lots of Gambling, alcohol, prostitution, mafia connections, etc. It got so bad that a new D.A performed a bunch of raids and knocked out the crime rings, threw slot machines and alcohol in the river. People have been chasing the slot machines for years. I found all the old bottles. I wish I knew about old bottles and their values.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always believed that city property is fair game and that you can hunt it until someone with authority says otherwise. The early projects built in the 50's and 60's and may reward you with silver. I don't know if the people living there will agree with what you're doing though.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don.......

If everyone thinks the same then the place is virgin territory ...<grin>

You know my motto... check out my tag line...

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish I knew what a gold ring rings up as on my XLT. I also wish I knew what a gold coin rings up as. I pretty much only dig signals for pennies, dimes, quarters, and silver. I wish all the "foil" signals that pop up were actually gold like the VDI listing suggests, but that's not happening lol.

Nickels and gold rings are very similar, test a nickel, and the gold ring will be up or down a few numbers. You will dig a bunch of trash, no doubt about it, but I'm telling you, IF you hit a gold ring, you will thank me!

Good luck sir!

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I stopped and talked to an old elderly trash worker. I asked if he worked for the housing authority, he said yes. I asked if the row of developments in question was abandoned. He said yes, they're clearing that zone. I asked if it would be cool if I metal detected there and he said sure, just watch out for the police because they cruise around here alot. I told him that I looked up the city laws and ordinance for metal detecting, and didn't find anything, and that the city runs the housing authority. He said that the government runs it. The federal government. He said the city just manages it. He even said that the section 8 housing has its own police. They're police within the cities police department, but specifically for the housing development and just attached to the local police department, but are assigned under the big governmental entity that is overall in charge of the projects. It sounds weird, but totally makes sense too. Like, welfare is a federal government program, but facilitated through local DHS's...if that makes any sense.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a big silver $.50 near a housing project. The project is full of people who I would not socialize with due to safety concerns. I really don't want to go anywhere I might have to fight people. I would rather fight bears, lions, etc. If it seems like there are going to be conflicts, leave quickly. I find the best stuff in open fields. Good luck!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I stopped and talked to an old elderly trash worker. I asked if he worked for the housing authority, he said yes. I asked if the row of developments in question was abandoned. He said yes, they're clearing that zone. I asked if it would be cool if I metal detected there and he said sure, just watch out for the police because they cruise around here alot. I told him that I looked up the city laws and ordinance for metal detecting, and didn't find anything, and that the city runs the housing authority. He said that the government runs it. The federal government. He said the city just manages it. He even said that the section 8 housing has its own police. They're police within the cities police department, but specifically for the housing development and just attached to the local police department, but are assigned under the big governmental entity that is overall in charge of the projects. It sounds weird, but totally makes sense too. Like, welfare is a federal government program, but facilitated through local DHS's...if that makes any sense.

I would say to take a buddy with you. These type of environments breed trouble from, pimps and prostitution to drug users and sellers.

You may be cool and not get involve trying to mind your Metal Detecting but yiu could be a witness to illicit activity and for that reason “the business people” may not want you hanging on their turf.

Good luck

D224B619-CFCA-4C3D-967B-6428F6F00A00.jpeg
2AAA8DDA-D934-4814-BD4A-C3336FF5E51C.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They can due whatever illicit activity they choose. That's their life. I'd witness them doing illicit activity while I'm doing illicit activity lol. I've pretty much come to terms with, and accepted the fact, that metal detecting is basically illegal :(. Especially in the East/South-east where there's an abundance of history being intentionally covered up I believe. But that's just a side rant. They area was pretty deserted, so I'm not concerned with the area. I do need to find a USED 5.3" or 4x6"DD coil for my machine though to really take advantage of the area.

suntannedgem

Jan 29, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Pro with 9.5", 12" & Super Sniper coils, Garrett Treasure Hound Deep Depth Multiplier, Garrett Pin Pointer Pro II, Bounty Hunter Legacy 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm heading out in the morning to do a early swing on a still standing condemned wooden ex military housing one bedroom. It has all kinds of signs posted on the house and windows, but none on the property. I am hoping for something nice and fast.. I tried to dig a bulldozed one last week and it was heavily HEAVILYtrashed as Carolina Tom says. I'm hoping that still standing works better. The also "before they get up clause" is pretty good info too! And of course use your headphones!!! I keep my eyes open, my keys around my neck and my Feska Digging knife out. I also arrive ready to swing, no getting ready on site.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always make sure I come prepared with alot more than just my detector and trowel lol. People are sketchy enough, add in wild hogs to the mix, it's a recipe for disaster waiting to happen.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can I have your car? And your detector? 😂 Eh...don't sweat it that much. My Mentor and I used to hit the worst parks in Chicago years ago without issue. Of course, there were always 2 or 3 unmarked Tac Unit squads watching us... using us as bait, I presume. 😂

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting