Modern Human's emergence 200,000 years ago? Seriously?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"How long is 200,000 in the scale of evolution?"

Depends on the mechanism of change: Natural Selection, Genetic Drift, Mutations and Gene Flow. Some only take two or three generations to "take hold". Some take tens of thousands of years. Viruses - hours.

Generally there will be long periods of stable populations and then a dramatic change; could be within a generation.

You can see species that have become isolated in recorded history that have become a distinct groups from the rest of the population. Two examples in humans - lactose tolerance vs. intolerance and immunity to malaria. Not changes that make a separate species . . . yet. A more dramatic in the genes of individuals may make a difference that does favor one vs the other. It is suspected that most human adults would have been lactose intolerant prior to the domestication of cattle some 9,000 years ago. We lacked the internal bacteria to digest it.

Blood types in humans - Rh positive or negative. That may make a difference at some time. It is the difference in a protein that is on some people blood but absent in others. That's a big difference. And, again, may make a difference in the next generation or the next 200 generations.

Last edited:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider 200,000 a conservative estimate and also spotted a couple of Neanderthals lurking in front of a liquor store earlier today.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
"......scientific fundamentalists do not realize that their opinions are based on faith. They think they know the truth." Rupert Sheldrake - biochemist/biologist

They think they know but really don't so they think they know and that's all that matters..Most of humanity falls into that.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is suspected that most human adults would have been lactose intolerant prior to the domestication of cattle some 9,000 years ago. We lacked the internal bacteria to digest it.

Really?

:icon_scratch:

Then who first started drinking milk that they could not digest? Did they feed it to their kids over dozens of generations until the kid could stomach milk? I suspect some scientist has been telling tavern tales to secure funding.

Like Thillathahunt suggest- you gotta have a lot of faith to accept conjecture as fact. More faith than i got. That's a major problem with all the sciences, at a certain point every belief is dependent on faith.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recall many years ago, there was found in africa some foot prints in mud that had turned to stone
from just foot prints the "scientists" knew what the female looked like, how she lived, and even had a drawing of her

I have my doubts about the experts

Krittlefish85

Mar 9, 2018
east stanislaus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey guys im new to the site but this is a topic that has always bamboozled me. if you get a chance check out the pick axe that was found fossilized inside of bedrock with handle still intact and everything. how long does bedrock take to form?... millions of year. or check out the spark plug found in a russian coal mine embedded in a chunk of coal. once again hundreds of thousands of year if not a million years for coal to form. so i too believe we have been here far longer than we have documented only when we get wiped out so does all our documentation. hell it may be stored in some of this quartz im always smashing up lol. anyway hope some of you find those 2 relics a bit interesting. so yeah my names Guy but everyone calls me Catfish or fish

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hard to imagine that humanity could actually survive 200,000 years without electricity,
indoor plumbing, hot water on tap, telephones, cell phones, computers....(you get the point)

I wonder how many people today could survive a year or more without all our modern
conveniences. Just take away electricity, then sit back and watch civility and society fade
away in a heartbeat.

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yawns... ok It's late I'm board. lots of "theories" around here, soundin' all grand and dandy like its just figured out and all.

here's one.

humanity and the solar system is far older than people think.

the flying saucer is a reality manipulation device.
comprehension is a b***, those that can "master" it, rule the world.

very few can.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey guys im new to the site but this is a topic that has always bamboozled me. if you get a chance check out the pick axe that was found fossilized inside of bedrock with handle still intact and everything. how long does bedrock take to form?... millions of year. or check out the spark plug found in a russian coal mine embedded in a chunk of coal. once again hundreds of thousands of year if not a million years for coal to form. so i too believe we have been here far longer than we have documented only when we get wiped out so does all our documentation. hell it may be stored in some of this quartz im always smashing up lol. anyway hope some of you find those 2 relics a bit interesting. so yeah my names Guy but everyone calls me Catfish or fish

I saw that hammer in rock. The "rock" is an iron concretion which can form in a short amount of time...decades, not millennia. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread