Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the idea for this thread from another posting. With a lot of new machines out there here is the question. Do you have a problem with EMI? (Electro magnetic interference) from electric lines, transformers, electric fences, etc.

My Tesoro Cibola and Tesoro Vaqueo have no problems.

My XP Deus has no problems except on great occasion and then I just switch a frequency and problem solved.

How about your machine? Just curious. I never know what machine I'll get next.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mxsport does pretty well. The only time I had problems was a yard and 3 adjoining neighbors houses all having their own dog fence, plus a low hanging power line that ran over the back yard. And i was still able to hunt, just chatty as all get out. That being said overall not many problems.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The invisible underground dog fences are the worst you might be able to still detect but you sure won't get near as good of depth. EMI will effect depth even though you can still detect it will make some difference. HH

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Electric fences wire and ribbon are both a problem with the Minelabs, the Deus handles it better but not completely. EMI off power lines with Deus is still a problem with the high voltage transmission/distribution lines that are on the pole.Doesn't matter what Freq. I put the settings on I'll still hear a bit of it until I'm a good 200ft away. Problem is two sites are right under the wire transmission, lines.

Insulated lines are cleaner than older bare copper lines, and the amount of power that's been produced through the lines also can be a factor. The EMI in the UK can really depend on the time of the day and the lines, where some hunting spots in the close proximity of dirty transmission lines are impossible to hunt.

In Toronto using the Minelab SE I often got cross interference with cell chatter, (note voices in the head was considered :laughing7: )

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The invisible underground dog fences are the worst you might be able to still detect but you sure won't get near as good of depth. EMI will effect depth even though you can still detect it will make some difference. HH

yup, But the sport handled it like a champ, still pulling targets from 8 inches. just harder to decide what was chatter from fence and a real target.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
My F75 LTD is pretty sensitive. I do have problems with power lines. I usually carry my Pro also. It does a lot better. Side note: I don't push one machine over another. Just tell it like it is.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a GNCC race a couple..few?...decades ago at Mount Morris, Pa. The pits/parking was on top the highest hill, directly under those YUUUGE X-shaped towers carrying electricity over the mountains. You could hear HUMMMMMMM..and the hair on my arm stood up...I could only imaging trying to detect there today. But yes, dog fences seem to be the worst, my ATP hates them, could only clean it up holding it a few feet off the ground...Ms. Homeowner was gracious and switched it off...Ddf.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Makro Racer 2 doesn't like those dog fences either, and once in a while i'll get interference from telephone wires, but not so bad that i have to shift the frequency. Then again most of my hunting is in the woods so I don't have to deal with EMI as much.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always present at the urban sites I hunt. If I were to rate my machines from worst to best for emi handling: Omega 8000, Deus, CTX, CZ3D.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I don't detect neighborhoods with dog fences, thanks for the input. Only problem I had with every machine was at a park and a transformer the size of a volkswagon was sitting there. You could hear it hum from 100' away. Any place else, no problems. I had four different brand machines at that park at one time. Thanks guys for the input.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This isn't QUITE the problem you're referring to but i have one I can NOT figure out...there's a big athletic field I hunt and in SOME spots, when I turn my PP on, it feeds back through my E-Trac. It gets so bad, I have to either remove my phones or turn the detector off. Some spots are fine. I get NO emi through the detector when I'm hunting...anywhere in the field. It's near a semi-busy rail yard. Could it possibly be radio transmissions from there? 😞

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I hunted with the ATP, power lines would cause problems. I don't notice it at all with the CTX.
My buddy hunts with a Deus and he says that my CTX will interfere with it if I get to close.
If I'm not finding much I'll chase him around for fun.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ogre1190, when I detected the Brandywine Pa battlefield in the 1980's, I would hear "something" in the headphones from time to time. I thought it was someone nearby maybe even sneaking up on me! I would routinely take off the headphones, look around to find nothing there, put them back on and go on detecting and by then the noise was gone. After a few times, I figured out it was interference from the commercial jets going into Philadelphia airport.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread