I couldn't resist.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After this month's Central Texas Treasure Club meeting, I was able to buy this beautiful vintage Garrett Deepseeker from one of our most loyal members. It's in Like New condition. The main reason I bought it was because it's identical to the third metal detector I bought and used in the late 1970s and seeing it brought back many good memories of my finds and the fun I had using it. I found a lot of nice jewelry including several sterling silver rings, silver coins, and many other old coins with it. I had several places that I could have gone detecting today but I remembered the one spot where I used the old Deepseeker the most, over 35 years ago, so that's where I spent an hour detecting, with my newer Ace 250. I only found one 1969 penny but I think that was because I strayed away from my old favorite spot onto an adjoining lot that was full of deep metal trash. I didn't get back on track and move back to my old field until I had only about 10 minutes left to hunt. That's where I found the only coin of the day. I still have not used the brand new Garrett Ace 350 that I won as Top Prize in last May's CTTC hunt but after I get that detector broke in and get accustomed to using it, I'll take the old Deepseeker out for a few spins and see how it compares to modern, fancier, more complicated detectors. I have a strong feeling that it's going to do just fine in the comparison. That will be fun.
Central Texas Treasure Club

~Texas Jay

Jan.-MD finds-2018 002.JPG Jan.-MD finds-2018 004.JPG

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of men my age like old classic cars. I like old classic metal detectors. :) The best thing about it is that it shouldn't take many hours of using it to get my money back. The reason I prefer less expensive detectors over the new, fancy, expensive ones is that I always buy a detector that I feel certain will be able to pay for itself in a few months or a year. I won't pay $2500 for a detector that will take me 10 years to pay for and is likely to wear out before it pays for itself.
~Jay~

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one very cool vintage machine. I am certain that you will enjoy it for years to come. Please update your experience from time to time. History has a habit of repeating itself. Congrats! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one very cool vintage machine. I am certain that you will enjoy it for years to come. Please update your experience from time to time. History has a habit of repeating itself. Congrats! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Phishfindr. I will keep you all updated as this year progresses. My primary goal for the year is to find gold, jewelry or even my first gold coin, so I'm focusing my efforts on places that are most likely to have gold in them. The Ace 250 pulled out a nice 1935 gold and sterling lady's class ring from 6" down last Sunday. I used it for an hour or two every day last week so I took today off from detecting to give my sore left elbow, that I overused by digging too much, a little rest. :)
~Texas Jay

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of men my age like old classic cars. I like old classic metal detectors. :) The best thing about it is that it shouldn't take many hours of using it to get my money back. The reason I prefer less expensive detectors over the new, fancy, expensive ones is that I always buy a detector that I feel certain will be able to pay for itself in a few months or a year. I won't pay $2500 for a detector that will take me 10 years to pay for and is likely to wear out before it pays for itself.
~Jay~

I look at it much different. Not any different than buying expensive golf clubs or a fire arm, or snowmobile and stuff that one might enjoy and none of them will ever pay for it's self. Not many hobbies ever do other than the pleasure we get from them

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, that is a nice vintage metal detector that you bought and sure is in good condition. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look at it much different. Not any different than buying expensive golf clubs or a fire arm, or snowmobile and stuff that one might enjoy and none of them will ever pay for it's self. Not many hobbies ever do other than the pleasure we get from them

Not all of us are rich or can afford expensive hobbies. We po' folks like to enjoy hobbies too and I've been metal detecting since I was 14 and this is the best hobby, by far, that I've ever found. My 20+ year-old Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger has paid for itself at least 3 times since I bought it in the early 90s. Knowing that and knowing that it can outperform expensive detectors costing 5 times as much whenever I take it out and compete against them, makes this hobby even more enjoyable for me. I took it out today but it wouldn't work properly so I must send it in to Garrett and have it repaired. That's the first problem it's given me in all of these years. I bought the old Deepseeker mostly because I wanted to enjoy using that detector again and I was lucky to get it at a price that I could afford and that I can recoup by finding only one small gold ring or several silver coins. That brings a smile to my face.
~Texas Jay

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Thanx for sharing the pix. I had a Garrett Groundhog in the late 1970s/early 1980s. And it was very akin to the Deepseeker of yours. A trip down memory lane. (and a dinosaur by today's standards, haha)

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx for sharing the pix. I had a Garrett Groundhog in the late 1970s/early 1980s. And it was very akin to the Deepseeker of yours. A trip down memory lane. (and a dinosaur by today's standards, haha)

I remember the Groundhog too, Tom. That was the same time period during which I owned the Deepseeker. I believe it was in 1981 or '82 that I sold mine and bought one of Richard Ray's Treasure Hunter detectors. I used it until it was stolen in 1992 and made a lot of great finds with it.

~Texas Jay
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/treasurehuntingtexas

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only older machine that piqued my interest was the Nautilus. I watched a video on how to operate it and how to ground balance. It was the VHS version video. The detector was complex, and you had a 2 knobs on the front of the machine to GB with. Man we got it easy with these newer machines. You simply set disc to zero, find a quiet patch and do a ground grab. That;s about as complicated as I want it to be. They recommended you GB'd often. Seemed like you'd swing for 15 minutes, and then have to take a couple minutes to GB and continue the cycle depending on the soil at your site.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Texas Jay, Thanks for posting the pic. of the Garrett Deepseeker. Talking about bring back some great memories. I bought one exactly like the one you have back in 1981. I found some of my nicer relics with it. These things were built to last. We were once hunting in some woods in Atlanta and some distance from my truck. We suddenly got caught in a downpour and were not prepared. I protected my detector best I could on the way back to the truck. By the time we made it back the rain had subsided but we along with our detectors were soaking wet. I loosened the thumb screws on the battery door and literally poured water from out of the battery compartment and the electronics panel. I about died. I pulled the batteries from the tray and dried it as best I could. I cut the detector on and it made the worst sound. I still remember that sound. I told my buddy that my detector was fried, Done. When I got home I broke the detector down again removing the battery tray and the 9 volt batteries. I dried it down with a rag and used a hair dryer blowing the inside of the battery compartment thourghly. Once dry I replaced the batteries, fired it up, and it worked great and continued for about another 9 years. You have got one Great Classic detector there. Thanks again for the memories.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
~Jay~

When i bought my Garrett ADS 3 in the early 80's i paid 550.00 for it. I don't know what those dollars translate into now but i would be willing to bet its close to 2500.00.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i bought my Garrett ADS 3 in the early 80's i paid 550.00 for it. I don't know what those dollars translate into now but i would be willing to bet its close to 2500.00.
All I know is that I was driving a Yellow Cab when I bought my Deepseeker and I had to drive a lot of miles to save up enough money to pay for it. :)
~Texas Jay

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know is that I was driving a Yellow Cab when I bought my Deepseeker and I had to drive a lot of miles to save up enough money to pay for it. :)
~Texas Jay

Yep...i had just joined the Air force and it was a full months pay (before taxes) for me.

sataro

Jan 16, 2013
Corsicana, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 | Nokta Simplex+ | Tesoro Mohave | Quest Xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you will gain a lot of memories & fun out of that old detector. I started out with an old Compass detector back in 1976. Don’t know how much I would use it now but would definitely like to have it back as a wall hanger for memories sake. Happy Hunting with that Deepseeker!

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, sataro and guys, for all the well wishes. sataro, a few of the most successful detectorists I knew back in the 70s and 80s wouldn't use anything except a Compass. They were very good detectors. I'm going to have a lot of fun with the old Deepseeker, I'm sure. I can't use it too much because it takes 6-9 volt batteries and keeping it in fresh batteries would take all the battery money that I need for my newer detectors. ha. One thing is certain and that is that I won't have a hard time locating my targets with the Deepseeker because when the signal is the strongest, you can bet your last dollar that the target is directly below the small x on the Co-Planer searchcoil. I think that's what I liked best about the old detector.
~Texas Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread