pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just like every "TRUE Legend" Pump-pump-dupe-dump.

The FBI said in a statement Monday night that it conducted a "court-authorized excavation" at Dents Run, a heavily forested area about 135 miles (217 kilometers) northeast of Pittsburgh.
The FBI isn't confirming that its dig had anything to do with the legendary Civil War treasure. But the agency says it didn't find whatever it was looking for.

The FBI won't release additional details, saying the dig was related to an "ongoing investigation."

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
...., saying the dig was related to an "ongoing investigation."

And that will be the smoking gun to the believers. If it's "ongoing", then the FBI knows something is there. If it wasn't there, then the word "discontinued" would be used. Not "ongoing". Thus we can assume with all certainty: The treasure is there. Just a little deeper, or to the left, or to the right.

But even if they'd used the word "discontinued", that too wouldn't be truth that the treasure isn't or wasn't there. It would only mean they got the treasure, but are keeping mum. Or that they're mistaken about it not being there. Or that they're doing this to mis-lead the public to dissuade future would-be hunters, etc... Pretty clever of them, eh ?

So as you can see, no sets of words, no sets of results, no sets of facts, can ever snuff out a good treasure legend. Every forthcoming item of data can be melded to bolster it. Every fact that seems to dispel it, can be explained away with some remote contingency.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And that will be the smoking gun to the believers. If it's "ongoing", then the FBI knows something is there. If it wasn't there, then the word "discontinued" would be used. Not "ongoing". Thus we can assume with all certainty: The treasure is there. Just a little deeper, or to the left, or to the right.

But even if they'd used the word "discontinued", that too wouldn't be truth that the treasure isn't or wasn't there. It would only mean they got the treasure, but are keeping mum. Or that they're mistaken about it not being there. Or that they're doing this to mis-lead the public to dissuade future would-be hunters, etc... Pretty clever of them, eh ?

So as you can see, no sets of words, no sets of results, no sets of facts, can ever snuff out a good treasure legend. Every forthcoming item of data can be melded to bolster it. Every fact that seems to dispel it, can be explained away with some remote contingency.

I still say were they actually looking for it in the first place, or was it just an off handed comment?

The FBI isn't confirming that its dig had anything to do with the legendary Civil War treasure.

But the agency says it didn't find whatever it was looking for.

The FBI won't release additional details, saying the dig was related to an "ongoing investigation."

Just another big pile of...
elefant_poelle.jpg

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The treasure hunters should had hired a lawyer who would had to deal with the state. Another mistake is that the hunters did not up with the bond which I would had done.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
If the FBI was not looking for gold. What were they looking for?

The fact of "looking" does not mean "something was there". People can "look" for something that was/is never there in the first place. And what they were responding to, is all the "smoke" the couple-of-jokers created.

For example: If I called the local police in my area, and said that a murder victim was buried at such & such location (a spot in the beach sand dunes, or spot in the mountains, etc...) you can bet they'd go dig and investigate my claims.

I've gone and accompanied such digs before (on police evidence hunts with metal detectors). And they were based on informant's info. of supposedly murder weapon buried at such & such place, or chucked out the window of speeding car at such & such bridge, etc....

Thus the fact of LEO's hunting/digging some place, can be conjured up by public citizens making statements, stinks, etc...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The fact of "looking" does not mean "something was there". People can "look" for something that was/is never there in the first place. And what they were responding to, is all the "smoke" the couple-of-jokers created.

For example: If I called the local police in my area, and said that a murder victim was buried at such & such location (a spot in the beach sand dunes, or spot in the mountains, etc...) you can bet they'd go dig and investigate my claims.

I've gone and accompanied such digs before (on police evidence hunts with metal detectors). And they were based on informant's info. of supposedly murder weapon buried at such & such place, or chucked out the window of speeding car at such & such bridge, etc....

Thus the fact of LEO's hunting/digging some place, can be conjured up by public citizens making statements, stinks, etc...

Twice I helped the Sherriff's Dept on Anna Marie Island look for a buried woman's grill on the beach. Great fun as the Perp. ratted somebody out to get a pass on something else and the body was reported as buried on the beach. Great fun I did the beeping and they did the digging, life was good.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Ogre1190:

Some 350 FBI special agents are in Texas tonight, trying to find the mad bomber before he strikes again. I'm sure they appreciate your encouragement and support.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ogre, please keep political comments out of posts.

Mar 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went through this whole thread, and from what I've gathered, Tom_in_CA is skeptical about this whole Dent's Run gold story.

Timbersnort

Mar 16, 2018
PA Wilds
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hmm, you now know what the 30+ member FBI forensic team, FBI police, FBI agents, and US Army were responding to?

And a potential murder response = potential lost asset response, maybe in CA but not the USA.

Again murder inquiry would be a low threshold to authorize a look because umm it's murder...particularly low if the police were desperate enough to invite a treasure hunter along.

Thus the fact of LEO's hunting/digging some place, can be conjured up

FBI doesn't authorize a response of this magnitude without other supporting circumstances.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.....Hmm, you now know what the 30+ member FBI forensic team, FBI police, FBI agents, and US Army were responding to?....

Nope. Nor do you. We're just discussing "what's more plausible ?" And since I've stated that I could do the same: Given enough years like they had: Create the same LEO circus on any spot of state land in the other 49 states: Then therefore it stands to reason (ie.: more plausible) that the "smoke" you see (LEOs) could be there simply because the legal issues the guys were insisting on.

... And a potential murder response = potential lost asset response, ....

Good distinction. Nice job. You're right: I'd have LEO's out there digging around if I said "I saw a murder victim buried here". But you're right: I WOULDN'T get anything except rolled eyes, if I said "I think there's a treasure here". Bingo for you in my illustration.

However, look at the ....... what ... 15 yrs. this guy was filing all sort of legal briefs and claims. Claiming he'd found (past tense) a treasure. And that he'd "confirmed (past tense) via equipment that's indisputable (GPR, blah blah ) . I can't help but think that if someone's pushed enough legal buttons, gotten enough lawyers, contacted enough media, and ...... all that you see couldn't be replicated at some place with zero treasure as well.

Look at all the "smoke" at Oak Island ? I know you might say "that's not legal-related". But then take a look at govt. in general for their use of time & energy and ask yourself : "Is it always efficient? Are they always on the right track ? Does something they look into always equal "carries merit" ?

.... FBI doesn't authorize a response of this magnitude without other supporting circumstances.

Define "supporting circumstance". :( In this case, the "supporting circumstances" were only the guys who made a big stink and legally brought about the govt. presence (if all of this is to be believed)

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the FBI was working under a court order as they claim. All one has to do is go to the county court house and look for a court order filed by Finder's Keepers and you will find all the information that this whole claim is about. Of course they were looking for the gold that Finder's Keepers has claimed for years was located there. They got in to conflicts with the State and the Park people so the only way to settle all of their erroneous claims was to get them out there and see if they could find the gold. Since no gold was found then all of Finder's Keepers claims were void and lacking in evidence and claim. NO GOLD

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK here is something I have been holding my tongue about. I can not let this go on any more. This CAN NOT be a Civil war Payroll !!!!! IMPOSSIBLE !!!1 Payroll gold is in COINS !!!! not gold bars. If it was payroll as everyone claims they would have to put it in to coins to pay out not 50 pound BARS !! Think about this !

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only that, the claim in the story was the bars were worth about $10,000 each. Now 26 bars, this would only amount to $260,000. That is not enough money to pay an army the size of Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia for one week. So how was ole Abe going to pay troops out of the gold bars once minted into coins. The soldiers never received any gold or silver coins for pay after 1862. There were being paid in green back dollars and promissory notes. Then they claim the Pinkerton's found two and one-half gold bars. How did these men out in the wilderness cut the bars in half? This story is similar to another actual Yankee Payroll that went missing in the Buckannon, West Virginia area in June of 1863. And the West Virginia story has more facts to back the story up than the story at Dent's Run, Pa. Both were said to being going to pay Yankee troops. The West Virginia Payroll was in coins and boxes. The Pennsylvania Payroll in 50 pound gold bars. Now which makes more sense.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK here is something I have been holding my tongue about. I can not let this go on any more. This CAN NOT be a Civil war Payroll !!!!! IMPOSSIBLE !!!1 Payroll gold is in COINS !!!! not gold bars. If it was payroll as everyone claims they would have to put it in to coins to pay out not 50 pound BARS !! Think about this !

Well aren't you a spoil alert. What you are saying couldn't happen?
44db2834d48a7557f599e6671f26776a.jpg
+
HS-87-4.jpg
CSA+Coin+A.jpg

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is obvious that it's not a payroll, its simply title of thread,I believe its equally obvious that it's unlikely that there is any gold to be found,its ridiculous to think anyone would bury gold right where they stole it,as for the FBI attempting to settle the matter for all involved is also equally ridiculous, without evidence there would be no investigation, the state, the feds,would not search for treasure, but more likely there is evidence that we are not privy to, lots of logic being spoken of in this thread,but mostly I see it being ignored by both sides of story speaking as they coment from a position of certainty, there MUST be legit reason for the investigation, or it would not take place

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread