Cache Hunting
Russia's got something to do with this.:thumbsup:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a little more input on FInders Keepers but i see Jeff Pa already posted it sorry
I do not know how to delet this post

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have driven by that camp where they have the tents set up 100 times...that location is about 200 yards off the main road, route 555, it is at the very bottom of the hollow....I've always "looked" up towards the the top...which is about a 6 mile drive up a gravel road....never guessed it would be so low...if they even found it....i hope they did so I can focus more on the trout this Spring!

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is the FBI out there is it on federal land that you need an ok to dig? So much for finders keepers if they brought in the FBI as I'm sure anything they would find the government is going to keep if it's on federal land. HH

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
If it is a US Military payroll then it belongs to the Federal government.

The loss of any significant amount of money belonging to the army would be well documented. There would be a complete investigation into the loss. Paymasters took their jobs very seriously - and the US Army took their jobs seriously. It was typical, for example, that paymasters would have a provision written into their wills that if they died while in the service their estates could not be settled until their military pay accounts had been reconciled.

As for paying Civil War troops in gold? Privates made less than $15 a month. More senior offices less than $200. I would suggest the odds are very good most solders were paid in silver and paper money. Remember - there was such a shortage of coins that the North issued fractional currency and encased postage stamps in mica.

https://www.nps.gov/fosu/learn/education/upload/Money-Civil-War-Activity.pdf

This is also interesting:

http://cincinnaticwrt.org/data/ccwrt_history/talks_text/moffat_soldiers_pay.html

As I remember the story, the Secretary of the Treasury put his own picture on some of the "coin" bills and Congress then passed a law that living persons couldn't be portrayed on our money.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is the FBI out there is it on federal land that you need an ok to dig? So much for finders keepers if they brought in the FBI as I'm sure anything they would find the government is going to keep if it's on federal land. HH

It's on State Forest Land. There is no federal land anywhere nearby.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone want to fly a drone over the area and take videos of whats happening in the woods?

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd think the FBI would have more important things to do (their real job) than to harass treasure hunters, leave that for the IRS. Your tax dollars at work.

Last edited:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't have said anything about it if I didn't need help to get where its located, if you find a cache of gold somewhere the government will try and say it's theirs if they can. They tried that for couple in California and was trying to say it was robbed from a mint I believe but the dates didn't match up, best off to shut your mouth if you find a big cache. I would also argue with being taxed on it as well as if you take it to the bank to put in your account your only going to get face value as it's still legal tender, you should only have to pay tax on face value. HH

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Gold coins are no longer legal tender. The Gold Act of 1933 took care of that.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finders Keepers wanted “street cred” and FBI gave it to them in exchange for 50# of gold

Rule #1 of Treasure Hunting

If you find 50# of gold.... SHUT UP!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Gentlemen, read it again. These guys HAVEN'T FOUND (past tense) ANYTHING. It's just a ghost-story legend camp-fire story they are chasing. And like we see in so many of these type lores: Someone comes on saying they "found" (past tense) something. When in fact they've just narrowed it down to a certain canyon. Certain lake bottom. Or a certain grave of a CW soldier (sound like a Clint Eastwood movie), or whatever. Yet in their mind's eyes, they've "found" it . It's merely a matter of petty details. Eg.: govt. regulations. Or a detector that goes 6 meters deep, etc....

And ... of course, look at this story: It's the big bad government that's keeping them from digging it up. In fact, the govt's "no" (on digging up a CW grave in a state sensitive monument) is to them ... ALL THE MORE PROOF that the treasure is there (ie.:a coverup or conspiracy). And the minute words like "FBI" are floated, then it's even ALL THE MORE PROOF. See how silly this is ?

And as proof of the dreamy mindset that leaves these things un-questioned: Note among our own ranks (replies here and other forums where this link has popped up) the replies: MD'rs chiming in musing over "splits" or "should've kept mouth shut to avoid taxes" or "oh wow, congratulations", etc... AS IF SOMETHING HAD ALREADY BEEN FOUND. See how quickly the human mind wants to believe ? But reading closer, nothing's been found. An interesting insight into the psychology of this.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You will never hear whether anything was found or not....

Why ? Why not ? Stories of found treasures make the news, and show & tell forums ALL THE TIME . So why wouldn't the news make-the-rounds if something is found ? Why this notion of "hush hush", when a simple look at annual headlines in the USA and around the world, shows that discoveries make the news all the time. Eg.: Mel Fisher, or the couple in CA, or some const. worker or trench digger finds goodies, so they have to stop road const. and here's what they found , etc... Why would there necessarily be nothing forthcoming from here ?

If "we never hear of anything", then I can tell you the reason: Nothing was there. And I know the "conspiracy" crowd will disagree. Fine. But the burden of proof is on them to show otherwise. Not the skeptics to prove it wasn't found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread