Interesting article that came out today on lost civil war gold in Pa.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Read closely. Nothing was found. It's just the usual song & dance of some dreamy eyed TH'rs who are chasing a ghost-story camp-fire legend. They've made a big "stink" about this to the media, to draw self-drummed up attention. Convinced that the "big bad government" has stopped them from digging it up. And their way-of-wording this is always past-tense "found". Yet look closely, and you'll see that nothing was "found".

evad30

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2018
Cameron Co
Detector(s) used
whites treasure master
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh no.. I live 20 miles from dig site.. was there yesterday evening.... FBI is all over it,... when asked,, they replied that they were conducting an investigation... No more was said.. but lived here my whole life.. I know why they are there.. GOLD!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Oh no.. I live 20 miles from dig site.. was there yesterday evening.... FBI is all over it,... when asked,, they replied that they were conducting an investigation... No more was said.. but lived here my whole life.. I know why they are there.. GOLD!!

evad, this sort of reminds me of area 51 lore & legend: Whenever shadowy men in black trench coats are involved (esp. if it's the FBI) and whenever you hear them say: "No comment", then ... it can only mean one thing: ALIEN UFO'S ARE REAL.

So too is it with this: The more silence and secrecy involved, then ... to the faithful.... it's just ALL THE MORE PROOF of a certain treasure, right ?

evad30

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2018
Cameron Co
Detector(s) used
whites treasure master
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom... i said the same thing...ha.. FBI.jpg FBI2.jpg

evad30

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2018
Cameron Co
Detector(s) used
whites treasure master
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The state forest people threw them out 2 years ago..heard they had to go to federalizes to get approval to dig

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The state forest people threw them out 2 years ago..heard they had to go to federalizes to get approval to dig

Evad30, do you know for a fact they went to the Federal Government to get approval. Of the the sites I've been today reading about this, you're the only one to mention it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Evad30, do you know for a fact they went to the Federal Government to get approval. Of the the sites I've been today reading about this, you're the only one to mention it.

If it's the 2 dudes I'm thinking of, there was some videos of them talking to the media a few years ago. And if I recall, the treasure was in the grave of a fallen CW soldier at a protected battle-field monument park. So they sought permission to dig up the grave. And then , when the govt. (OF COURSE) said "no", then to them: This just became all the more proof of a cover-up, conspiracy, etc.... And the entire time, it's all spoken of in past tense "found". It's just a matter of overcoming the big bad government who wants to hide-the-truth, blah blah.

And the whole time I'm seeing this video, I'm thinking ... wait a minute , where have I heard this story before ?? OH YEAH: Clint Eastwood's famous spaghetti western movie: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

evad30

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2018
Cameron Co
Detector(s) used
whites treasure master
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has the FBI said this,,no.. but i do know that DCNR threw them off the land in 2016.. since then its been a watched or guarded area.. They did not want anyone digging.. it is said to be about 8 feet deep and under a fire pit.. they have found many articles of civil war period there.. and as a local.. the stories of soldiers here.. well it is PA..

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
...... since then its been a watched or guarded area.. They did not want anyone digging.. ...

some people might take this as proof positive of the story. Eg.: "Watched and guarded", and "don't want anyone digging". But in my mind, this does not make the story of a treasure any-more-true.

For example: Let's say a couple of night-hawk guys studied the security measures in place at Bodie (or Shiloh, or Ghettysburg, or Fort Tejon, or ... whatever). And decided they could stealthily go detecting for fumble-fingers coins type-hunting . Let's say that the park rangers got wind of this . Well ... gee ... of course, ... they'd ramp up security, right ? They "wouldn't want anyone digging", right ? Ok, but what the heck merit does this bring to a treasure story ? None at all.

I too could single-handedly get "more scrutiny" put on various cool md'ing spots in CA if I wanted. All I'd have to do is go dig some holes, ask a bunch of fed's or state people "can I?" and then make a big media circus when they kicked me out. Then, sure, they'd 'add more security'. But notice that at NO TIME does this added security, or their desire not-to-have-holes mean, of necessity : Treasure.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evad30, I'm not picking on you, just giving, getting info from you. The articles from the Civil War were logging artifacts from the late 1800's. As for the fire pit, I know for a fact, it's not under a fire pit. I was in the area a few years ago. A logging road was bulldozed on top of the supposed gold location. If there is a fire pit there now, a hunter may have built a fire to keep warm. It has nothing to do with the buried gold.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the FBI agents were there because they know there is gold there. Kick the FBI agents out so us treasure hunters find the gold that I know is there.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can just see it now on the History channel "The curse of the lost Pa Soldiers gold"

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read closely. Nothing was found. It's just the usual song & dance of some dreamy eyed TH'rs who are chasing a ghost-story camp-fire legend. They've made a big "stink" about this to the media, to draw self-drummed up attention. Convinced that the "big bad government" has stopped them from digging it up. And their way-of-wording this is always past-tense "found". Yet look closely, and you'll see that nothing was "found".

It's right there on page 23, Elk County.
If it is in this book, it has to be real.

Attachments

• 20180221_135428.jpg
    20180221_135428.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 60

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... If it is in this book, it has to be real.

Yup ! And add a few "It has been said that" conjectures, a few conspiracy speculations. And then throw in some faded newspaper clippings, add a drawing of a miner posed next to his burro, and then it's REALLY got to be true.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
It wouldn't surprise me if Michael Paul got his information from Francis X. Scully.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions