It looks like I won't be going to metal detect until June with this weather!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
We just got another 25 inches or so of snow today, adding to the 5 inches we already had on the ground from the last storm (it was around 14 inches, but most of it had melted by this storm). When I took my dog outside a few minutes ago, I noticed that the snow was up to my knees where the big snow drifts were, and my dog (Great Pyrenees) was completely buried in the snow in those areas. Man, I hope that this snow will be gone soon so I can metal detect again. In the two weeks or so when there was no snow and I could go metal detecting, I found 15 flat buttons, half of a colonial cufflink with a nice design, 2 colonial shoe buckle fragments (frame piece and a tongue), a pewter rat tail spoon handle from the early 1700's, a brass thimble, and a handful of musketballs. I had also just found another nearly untouched cellar hole the evening before the first storm (second of the year), which produced great finds in the half an hour I was there. That night I also found a few more cellar holes while researching, including one only a couple miles from my house that appears on no maps, only on LIDAR (very close, compared to most cellar holes I find being around half an hour away now). It is very annoying to have to stop now for a few weeks when I was starting off the year so nicely. Last year I didn't even find a flat button until around June or July, and only found one good cellar hole. At least I got a little taste of metal detecting to keep me happy until Spring truly comes! I hope you guys up in the Northeast are doing well and made it through the storm ok.

Here is a photo I took of the stream in the woods behind my backyard, with all of the snow covered trees in the backyard, this afternoon while it was still snowing.
DSC_0085.JPG

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can always take a trip to SoCal. We are warm and dry still (except for a little drizzle today) Didn't stop me

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NH here and I'm in the same boat as you. Got a new Equinox 800 a month ago and haven't been able to swing it yet. Hopefully I'll be able to before 2018 ends.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m buried as well .Im thinking I might jackhammer the concrete out of my cellar to detect under it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea i feel your pain coinman123 every time I turn around we're getting more.
or it gets warm enough to melt it all then, that night we get hit again.

Tuesday they are Expecting more here, I wonder if it will be our 4th. Noreaster this month :(

What's really Bad, with all this Water, as soon as it Gets Warm, Things will shoot up Like Swamp. Including the Insects.

the North East may be the New Everglades & Bayou

Last edited:

searching 4

Dec 6, 2017
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
garret ace 200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you guys out east are getting hammered with the snow, here in southwest pa not so much snow just the **** cold weather . cold enough to keep me at home and with the ground being frozen , not much sense in heading out unless I have a backhoe and a place to thaw the ice chunks

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You can always visit Mississippi where the Relics are in bloom.:laughing7: It Won't be long , hang in there.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spring is on the way....if not your goning to need a flame thrower and a back hoe.

I may put batteries in and check the plowed piles of snow.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far this year, I got in 2 hunts. The weather got nice and then the bottom fell out. The ground is covered with new snow,, too cold,, too wet,, and where it is possible to dig,, it's too muddy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, good news. It was pretty nice out after around noon (the morning was pretty cold though), I went out today and noticed that the backyard only has around 6 inches of snow (around 10-12 inches in the front yard). Too bad we may get more snow by next Tuesday though!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may miss us....we can hope!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread