Mar 6, 2017
Hampton Georgia
Detector(s) used
Harbor Freight 6 settings metal detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does this tree look like an eyeball looking at something
(KGC symbols are sometimes eyes)

Directly in front of the suspected eye is a huge triple oak tree. With the letters "EG" carved in it.

I need a partner with a metal detector. I got only a pin pointer
I'm located 2 miles from the talmadge house.
Atlanta troops retreated there to regroup after the civil war ended

Attachments

• IMG_20170328_143727.jpg
    IMG_20170328_143727.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20170328_143736.jpg
    IMG_20170328_143736.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 84

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Curious why this can't just be random tree shape scar ? And/or random graffiti ?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try a local meral detecting club in the area see if some of them can help you. Or maybe rent a detector.

Tree does look a little odd. Does the carved letters look old?

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is just a tree growth called a Burl.

A
burl (American English) or bur or burr (UK English) is a treegrowth in which the grain has grown in a deformed manner. It is commonly found in the form of a rounded outgrowth on a treetrunk or branch that is filled with small knots from dormant buds

Does this tree look like an eyeball looking at something
(KGC symbols are sometimes eyes)

Directly in front of the suspected eye is a huge triple oak tree. With the letters "EG" carved in it.

I need a partner with a metal detector. I got only a pin pointer
I'm located 2 miles from the talmadge house.
Atlanta troops retreated there to regroup after the civil war ended

OP
OP
Bre

Bre

Greenie
Mar 6, 2017
Hampton Georgia
Detector(s) used
Harbor Freight 6 settings metal detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is the the its looking at

IMG_20180314_143743.jpg IMG_20180314_143821.jpg

This is the tree the eye is looking at

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....This is the tree the eye is looking at

With all due respect: Me thinks your imagination is running wild , at any blotch on a tree, any random graffiti, etc....

If you really want to hunt for big-game caches, the solution is not to scout the landscape looking for cryptograms and funny squiggles on rocks/trees. The solution is to git yourself a 2-box unit. And simply hunt old ruins, cellar holes, foundations, ghost towns, and old-town demolition scrapes. They don't find objects smaller than soda cans. And a lot of guys using regular machines for relic/coin hunting such sites, reject those big signals (durned those hubcaps anyhow). And ... if you go there to ONLY find those larger signals in such likely locations, you'll eventually stumble onto a jar or cache of some sort.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA your point is a great idea thanks. Have you ever done this and if so any stories >

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to say that is very cool, and thank you for sharing it. No idea what the letters may stand for, but I'll be watching your thread. Good Luck, and get yourself a metal detector! If you find metal artifacts buried, DO NOT move them. Just photograph them and document any direction it/they may be pointing with a compass.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1565071 View attachment 1565072

This is the tree the eye is looking at

Hi Bre, Upon one of the upper limbs I can make out some writing not too visible. Here is what I think it says:

40 Feet East Au 3 feet deep and down on the roots is the date 1844. Au meaning gold. I tried to find a dollar amount but I could not. I hope this helps you.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tom_in_CA your point is a great idea thanks. Have you ever done this and if so any stories >

Have I ever done what ? Metal detect ? Yup. 42+ yrs. Although I'm strictly a coin/relic hunter (not a cache hunter), yet I've been a part of caches found when in-the-course of regular md'ing. And I've gone out on several posse-commissioned hunts . Eg.: Next-of-kin trying to find their late-grandfather's stash known to be somewhere on the premises. Or a dude who cached a box of gold coins in his buddy's big back yard. Using a certain tree and fence post as his marker to remember it. But ... 15 yrs. later, when he came back to retrieve them, it turns out his buddy had extensively re-landscaped the yard (bushes moved around, new fence put in, etc....).

In each and every case of caches I've been a part of (whether wild or tame), and having also associated with those who've likewise found them: In NO case is there anything un-canny or mysterious. Simply "at the corner of a house" or "in the floor of a barn", or backyard next to a chicken coop, etc.... No cryptograms, no turtle drawings etched on rocks, no Capt'n crunch treasure maps, no death traps, no poison snakes or natives with poison darts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions