Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your AT-Pro is a great park machine. I'd buy an Excal II and have a great water machine and you have land and water covered with 2 great machines. The CTX is a great machine as well and can do both (use care with the wireless head phones) but in my opinion, the Excal II is the best water machine out there based upon my experience. I am sure there are some Etrac users who will comment and know at that unit. I don't have any experience with it but everyone seems to be very high on it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hi to all I am looking to update my detector. I have an AT pro.. But my real question, the difference between the two.Iam getting more to detect a couple of times in and around Ocean. Most of my detecting is on river and beaches and parks. Thank you all.

A few pro's and cons and equivalents:

1) the 3030 and Etrac are the same on depth, for coin-sized targets, when using the stock 11" coil. However, the Etrac tends to hit a point of diminishing returns on coin depth, when going to larger coils (WOT for instance), whereas the CTX does get a tad more depth on coins when going to a larger coil (their 17 x 13" coil). But ... of course. ... there's very few places (beach?) where you'd be able to use such a large monster (very fishy/warbly).

2) The 3030 does not allow the inline sunray probe, whereas the Etrac does allow it. This is a major factor in many guy's un-willingness to update to the CTX from their Exp. II, Etrac, SE, etc...

3) The 3030 is much more complicated to learn (IMHO)

4) The 3030 is waterproof. But that's only relevant if you plan to dunk the box. Versus If you're just doing occasional casual inter-tidal zone wet beach detecting, you don't need waterproof. And if you *were* worried you get slapped by a wave, or are hunting in beach storm erosion rain, you can just wrap the Etrac with plastic and black -tape. But ... sure, ... if you planned to do a LOT in the ebbing surf and crashing waves, then it's always nice to have water proof, to remove all doubt :)

I personally never went to the CTX generation. Strictly because it fails to allow for an in-line probe. And since the depth was the same (assuming 11" coil), I didn't see the need for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread