patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lost my Kellyco Vulcan pinpointer today. I haven't given up on finding it yet. I lost it in the woods somewhere along about a mile or so of walking. I went back over the area a couple of times but can't find it.
So , my question is..... which pinpointer ? I saw a Kuman for $39 on Amazon that looks just like the Garrett. Anyone have any experience with the cheaper ones ? I really like and trust Garrett and Whites but for less than half the price its tempting .......

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suggest a pointer in the color bright orange.

OP
OP
patiodadio

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever color I get , Im gonna paint it florescent yellow / orange / green :BangHead:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the first 35 years I never used a pin pointer, never owned one. Then, I was at the local dealers about 3 years ago and was shown the Whites TRX I decided to give it a try. Just like anything else I had to get used to it but once I did it became part of my gear. I don't know about the cheaper ones but I go buy the old adage that you get what you pay for. I have abused mine and it still works like it did on day one.

UnQle Rob

Oct 14, 2015
Parts Unknown, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Infinium
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detecnik Pin Pointer
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to get side tracked off the topic of discussion, but i just purchased a florescent roll of duck tape to make my pinpointer more visible. As for the question, a pinpointer is as only good as the depth it can penetrate. Remember, you get what you pay for. I use the garrett (standard) and the deteknic pinpointers.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new pinpointers from First Texas - the Fisher F-Pulse and the Tek-Point are excellent. They were designed by their Chief Engineer, Carl Moreland - who designed the TRX when he was at Whites.

Pulse Induction - not vulnerable to ground noise - getting excellent reviews - waterproof and deeper than the Garrett or Whites pointers.

OP
OP
patiodadio

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After watching a bunch of reviews on Youtube , I am leaning toward the Garrett. I have an ATPro and I know Garrett has great service.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the White's TRX attached to a retractable cord on my Freeloader finds bag. Freeloader sells finds bags on Tnet. They are amazing. Tether your next one no matter which you go with. GL & HH :thumbsup:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Trx isn't bad. It will also false like the Garrett but not quite as much. Pinpoints more on the tip than the carrot too. The Whites is definitely lighter and seems more flimsy.

I've heard a 50/50 review from the GP Garrett knock offs. I guess some people get good ones and some not so good. Sounds like the detekniks (sp)? Is a nice middle priced unit.

The new First Texas offering is the one I want to try next. I don't care about depth with a pinpointer as long as it doesn't false and is consistent. Nothing worse than chasing around false signals.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'd go with the Carrot. Love mind and the old black one isn't bad.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the White's TRX attached to a retractable cord on my Freeloader finds bag. Freeloader sells finds bags on Tnet. They are amazing. Tether your next one no matter which you go with. GL & HH :thumbsup:

retractible janitors keyring is essential, got one on my carrot

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the world of pinpointers i have noticed the cheap ones are pretty much useless. I have a harbor Freight that stays in the car as a back up. It is a piece of junk but under extreme circumstances and desperation, i might use it for a plug or two. Go with a company that has a good warranty and good customer support.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had the Carrot. It's good. But my go-to is my X-Pointer. Just as good as the Carrot, but not as expensive. It's not waterproof...but I don't do water or rain, so it's fine for my purposes.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
The new pinpointers from First Texas - the Fisher F-Pulse and the Tek-Point are excellent. They were designed by their Chief Engineer, Carl Moreland - who designed the TRX when he was at Whites.

Pulse Induction - not vulnerable to ground noise - getting excellent reviews - waterproof and deeper than the Garrett or Whites pointers.

I've had Fisher's F-Pulse for 11 days, and IMO, it is the pinpointer to own. I have most all the pointers already, but this one takes the glory. Great pinpointer! Does the dual job of both the TRX and the Carrot, which I've been carrying both together in past hunts.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Garret Carrot , I have a backup Carrot as well as 2 older black Garret pin pointers.
Good luck with finding your old one.

nwpa

Jul 6, 2017
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
T2 classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Makro/Nokta's pretty much bullet proof, had garrett's but got tired of sending them in for repairs.
The new Teknetics/Fisher looks like it might be a good one.

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do the same thing
(retractable cord)
the cord save you from forgeting when you get a good find

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In my opinion you get what you pay for.I got a cheapo.free,with a metal detector purchase and I could see why it was free.
My old Garrett Pinpinter has been reliable.I dipped in in Plasti Dip. to make it water proof.Put a rubber O ring in where the battery
is inserted and it's been good to go anywhere.(See YouTube) on water proofing the Garrett pinpointer.
Of course for about $130 you can buy the Garrett Orange that is waterproof and
has some X-tra features to it.If you wonder what that is sticking up off the side?It's really not a handle.It's a piece of copper
tubbing flattened out and glued to the side.Look up how to modify my Garrett Pinpointer.It makes the pinpointer detect metal
at deeper depths.It really does work.Good luck.

Attachments

• pinpointer.jpg
    pinpointer.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Viaqua

Feb 12, 2014
Jensen Beach Fla.
Detector(s) used
Whites Treasure Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I like the "Flashlight" type coverage of the TRX, helps to zero in. Also the way you can Ratchet it in to the target.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread