most suitable

Legolas

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2017
Steiermark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, my english apologizes. I'm from Austria.
Would like to ask a question to you experienced seekers, because I get here in forums not really meaningful answers and referenced to dealers with my question, but for me is mainly the opinion of people like you with a lot of experience and not only the Opinion of a trader.
I'm looking for a detector so from 250-600 euros is a little more in dollars.
My search is for coins of all metals, ancient parts of Romans, Celts but also everything up to the Middle Ages until 1900.
The soil here is pretty mild, with little mineralization.
Search area is coniferous forest, therefore many branches, small shrubs often overgrown.
Old roads have been used for hundreds of years, some gravel, coarse rocks, often overgrown, so the detector should not give too many false positives when toasting.
Look also at old mills, farms where often only a small wall is recognizable
Depth would be important to locate coins partially up to 15 inches. Would also be looking partially in Allmetal.
Now my question, what do you think would be the most suitable metal detector for this?
Best regards and thanks, Legolas!

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... because I get here in forums not really meaningful answers and referenced to dealers with my question, ....

If you found the answers from dealers to be "not really meaningful", then I'm afraid you might not be better off here. Because we're going to have the same answers as the dealers you spoke to .

...... My search is for coins of all metals, ancient parts of Romans, Celts but also everything up to the Middle Ages until 1900.....

And here it is. Essentially an "all of the above" type answer. We ask someone what they're goal/objective is. And ... OF COURSE they want: Caches, individual coins, nuggets, jewery, etc... Right ? (ie.: all of the above). And sure, there's cross-over machines that promise to 'do all' with the press of a few command buttons. But guess what ? They excel at none of the venues. There will be better cache hunters. There will be better coin/relic hunters. There will be better nugget hunters. There will be better jewelry hunters @ the beach (depending on how you define "better").

So when you ask the person "what do you expect/want?" they'll say "all of the above" (can you blame them?). And if you ask "how hardcore and patient do you want to be ?". They'll answer "hardcore and very patient" (because NO ONE will admit to being relegated to sandboxes, right ?) So we point them to a balls-to-the-walls deepest option (which squeels the bells of Notre dame off every speck of birdshot) and ... guess what ? Within a week, the machine is in the closet.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nokta/Makro
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread