Diamonds from black sand

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The same methods used to separate heavy sands from gold. Be aware that diamonds are less dense than most heavy
sands. If panning, you would be panning the diamonds out. A magnifier and tweezers may also help.

Might I ask what brought this question up?

Time for more coffee.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the same in Maryland with the gold! Add Colorado and California to the list. And Quebec. And Northern Canada for that matter. HUGE diamond mine up there. I think the old timers used something called a "grease table", you might try a search on the net for how they worked.

Machkin

Nov 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have to ask, what brought up this question? Probably only way to do this would be to dry all material first, than spread some, not alot, on a cookie sheet painted flat black and a diamond should stand out amidst the black sand. Time consuming but does the job when dealing with smaller classified material. Specific gravity of black sand being 5.2-5.26 and diamonds at 3.1-3.53, black sand will always have more density, thus having more weight in water.

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have to ask, what brought up this question? Probably only way to do this would be to dry all material first, than spread some, not alot, on a cookie sheet painted flat black and a diamond should stand out amidst the black sand. Time consuming but does the job when dealing with smaller classified material. Specific gravity of black sand being 5.2-5.26 and diamonds at 3.1-3.53, black sand will always be heavier.

Denser. Not hevier., denser.

Gotta get these things right or the whole world will fall apart.:tongue3:

The point is that diamond floats on black sand in the same way that black sand floats on top of gold. So, when the lighter blond sands are almost washed off then it is time to start looking for diamonds which will be "floating" in the top portion of the remaining black sand, along with anything else that is less dense than black sand and more dense than blond sands.

Machkin

Nov 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duckshot you are correct so, I edited my above statement and will also include that I used Specific Gravity because that is the measurement that determines the density of minerals, so the specific gravity of a mineral determines how heavy it is by its relative weight to water. Specific Gravity of gold is "around" 19.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread