Not finding coins at all-help with settings

Kasper1212

Mar 6, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV, Garret Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detected an old farm for 6 hours yesterday, found a lot of nails, iron and a few old relics...but not one coin. I had my sensitivity set at 90 % and disc set at 1 oclock....half way thru I changed it to tone setting with the same settings....still no coins....is this even possible? not even a modern penny...idk if I am doing something wrong or just unlucky lol

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detected an old farm for 6 hours yesterday, found a lot of nails, iron and a few old relics...but not one coin. I had my sensitivity set at 90 % and disc set at 1 oclock....half way thru I changed it to tone setting with the same settings....still no coins....is this even possible? not even a modern penny...idk if I am doing something wrong or just unlucky lol

Depending on the area thats not unusual. I have gone weeks at old cellars before popping out a coin. Just keep at it

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Put a coin on the ground and see if your machine beeps . Then start putting the coin in a hole and see how deep you are hitting at or not hitting at . Test your machine to see if it is the site or the machine . People do not make a habit of losing things . Has it been detected before ?

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a few factors that are involved. Next time you go to the farm, try your machine over a clad quarter. Then bury the clad quarter at 6 inches and look for a signal again. Don't expect to find the same amount of coins on a farm that you might find in a park. Another factor is how many times was this farm hunted before you. If you hunt this farm 3 or 4 times and come home with one Indian Head Penny, you did good. Don't give up. Your machine does not have the Reactivity speed that higher end machines have. That is why it is necessary to slow down your swing. Go slow and Low.
Welcome to Tnet.

OP
OP
K

Kasper1212

Mar 6, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the ideas. I will try them out today. No it hasn't been detected before. The roadside has though because it's such a historic site, he said he often sees people going up and down the side of the road with detectors but nobody but me has asked to do the farm. (The first trading post in this area, I even found one story that said it was delapitated in 1832, and a guy bought it and put another trading post there) I got permission from the owner and its been in his family since the late 1800s.
He did say that there may have been sod brought in, idk how deep that would be and it is very black and soft, for this time of year...it almost looks like potting soil.

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I detected a new permission in southern KY a couple of weeks ago. It was a late 1800's farmhouse that has long been gone. You would never know it had ever been there. A friend of mine told me about the approximate location. I found the location of the house by finding the square nail track. I detected for 8 hrs. straight and found nothing but iron. Grant you it was some nice iron but I never found any targets in the brass, gold or silver range. It just goes that way sometimes. Could be the family was very poor and had no jewelry or coins. It could also be there was so much iron that the good stuff was still masked. Guess I will find out the next trip. To answer your question, no it is not unusual not to find any coins at a site. GOOD LUCK

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put a coin on the ground and see if your machine beeps . Then start putting the coin in a hole and see how deep you are hitting at or not hitting at . Test your machine to see if it is the site or the machine . People do not make a habit of losing things . Has it been detected before ?

2X on this test method ^^^

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
farms are the absolute WORST location to find coins. Farmers would pull every car, tractor and implement into the yard to work on it. There are nails, nuts, bolts, pins, screws, etc EVERYWHERE. On top of that, farmers are typically poor and have no need to be carrying money around. I come from a family of farmers. My grandmother used to tell that they never carried money unless going into town to shop, and then that money was in a purse. If they lost a nickle, they would all be out on hands and knees looking for it.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not unusual on old farms. I have been to one farm 3 times with my two sons. when you count the combined hours of swinging we have about 40 hours of nothing but iron trash with a single wheat penny from the 30s and a woman's sash buckle.

OP
OP
K

Kasper1212

Mar 6, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to be a pretty large successful farm, the owner doesn't live onsite, his father and grand father were raised there...so originally bought by his great grandfather in the 1880s he said. I'm not allowed to detect the fields, right now due to alfalfa growing, just around the home and barns. There was unfortunately an add on to the front of the house which sucks, because its over the original front entrance and the back entrance looks like there wasn't one until they did an add on on the side of the building. But the owner told me they are tearing the house down this summer so I want to detect the hell out of it before they do...after that it will be ALL nails I'm sure! I have found coins in other locations with this detector, maybe their just too deep for my cheapie detector, plus if they added sod at one point it will be deeper, and the grass is so soft, spongy and black...maybe he was right and they did add sod.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good advice above. If the Bounty Hunter is all you can afford for now then your going to dig more trash. I started with a bounty hunter myself about 10 years ago and dug a lot of trash but that's the way it goes. That thing was a can magnet.

Not sure how the discrimination works on the IV try putting a penny,dime, quarter on the ground and then start moving a nail close to it. You can get an idea at how good your detector can unmask targets in trashy barn sites this way.

For example on my F22 as soon as a nail or beaver tab gets within a couple inches the VDI jumps around so much you don't know what your digging. The Tesoro you can put the nail on top and it will still unmask a target. That's not always true to real life though.

FYI, dug two old sites this year an old house and barn and an old school house for about 8-10 hours dug a 5 gallon bucket full of trash didn't find any coins. $500 dollar detector you'll be digging trash deeper! Watching some of these guys on youtube will make you wan't to quit. There is years of practice, location, and they still dig a ton of trash they never show on camera.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for the ideas. I will try them out today. No it hasn't been detected before. The roadside has though because it's such a historic site, he said he often sees people going up and down the side of the road with detectors but nobody but me has asked to do the farm. (The first trading post in this area, I even found one story that said it was delapitated in 1832, and a guy bought it and put another trading post there) I got permission from the owner and its been in his family since the late 1800s.
He did say that there may have been sod brought in, idk how deep that would be and it is very black and soft, for this time of year...it almost looks like potting soil.

Which I've found to be a problem too. They loved bringing in fill.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only places I ever pulled a coin from a farm yard was either under the clothesline (they left coins in the pant's pockets and the pants were hanging upside down) or along the path from the house to the outhouse. I'm guessing their pants were down on the way to the outhouse!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hit a fourth generation farm with visions of old silver.
The haul was 12 cents in clad. One dime two Lincolns. ( Shade tree related near house).
Let my buddy ( third generation)know his family was poor....
Crop fields turned up ag related stuff. Should be a coin bounced out from a tractor seat ,but I did not find a one.

If fill was brought in ,it put stuff out of reach probably on your site. Depending on where fill was from , stuff could have been imported ,or " clean" fill has nothing in it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread