aeromed73

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2018
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope I am not repeating a common question but I searched the forums and could not find it. I am brand new to this. Just got my first MD last week. Took my sons out with me on our first official "treasure hunt" and kept getting hits in high 70's to low 80's showing at a depth of 8+ inches. This was about 3 feet away from the base of a very large pine tree. Dug down about 6 inches never getting a hit from the pin-pointer. Ran the detector over it and still receiving the same hits and still showing a depth of 8+ inches. I widened the hole enough to place the MD head inside and dug it out to 8 inches. Still nothing at all on the pin-pointer and when I placed the MD onto the bottom of the hole I am still receiving the hits ranging from 77 to 86 and it still shows a depth of 8+ inches.

Am I chasing a ghost? We found multiple old umc newclub shotgun shell heads in the area about 8 feet away.

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was me, I'd keep digging. Getting a solid hit that keeps on showing metal under a tree is something I would ALWAYS continue to dig for. The depth indicator is based on a coin lying flat. It does not necessarity indicat the actual depth of other objects. KEEP DIGGING...and let us know what eventually comes up!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep digging... until whatever is causing the signal is found... Don't give up.

I will just point out the fact...

The base of a tree is one of the most common spots to bury items for safe keeping.

Also a common place for lost items.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also check the roots with the pipointer. I've had mineral rich roots on big trees ring up as targets. :skullflag:

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep Digging, never stop at the base of a tree... You never know!!! Good Luck

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If you've got someone proficient in the area to hook up with: Meet and trade off flagged signals. Watch how he isolated and choose what to dig (versus what he'd pass). Watch how he pinpoints. Watch how he digs. Because whenever someone comes on with "disappearing signals" issue, it's usually a discrepancy of what a person is considering a "signal". And often has a simple explanation, that can only be spotted when in-the-field on actual test targets.

OP
OP
A

aeromed73

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2018
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The signal never disappears it just keeps saying 8+ inches after digging down a ways. Never have had a hit on the pin pointer though. But I do plan on trying to find some established MD'ers in the area to meet up with.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The signal never disappears it just keeps saying 8+ inches after digging down a ways. Never have had a hit on the pin pointer though. But I do plan on trying to find some established MD'ers in the area to meet up with.

Um... you just met them... ALL of them... Treasurenet is and has been home away from home for many if not all of the best MDr's :)

Now.. your help has already started.

Bill is in the mail... and we are a lot cheaper than some "dude" you meet with a detector who may lay claim to whatever you find under that tree.

Dig first... include later.

:)

PS... just kidding about the bill...

Initial consultation is free. :P

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

aeromed73

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2018
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once upon a time I was search and rescue back in my military days :)

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep big iron can ring like that, only one way to find out. Dig it

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run your pin pointer on the sides of the hole you could be alongside of your target. I have had that happen. Every time you run your M D by it rings out.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8+ means just that If you are at the bottom of your hole and it says 8+ go deeper. I have seen very nice large targets recovered at over 2 feet deep. It has to be big for the MD to see it that deep. Like AARC says Keep digging and let us know what it is. Unless it is a Pile of gold coins. I would be pretty quiet about that Cheers

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be a bullet encased by a root too. That would suck digging it out. Hope it turns out to be something really good.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Raise your coil about a foot over the whole, if it's ringing in loud, it's been my experience you are over a utility line.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know if you run your coil 8 inches under a steel pipe, it will register. Wouldn't be the first time the target was up instead of down.

OP
OP
A

aeromed73

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2018
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally have the time tomorrow to head back out. The place is in the middle of nowhere 9 miles down a dirt road and then another 1.5 mile hike. No structures for at least 5 miles in any direction so if it's piping or utility lines they are likely older than my dad. Wish me luck!

RichieRich

Mar 25, 2013
Meridian Id
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE, AT Pro Gold, White's IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig um. Dig um! Sometimes you find a treasure, sometimes a hunk of steel. The chase is where it is at

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread