Question about cleaning items

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the item really. Some soak old coins in olive oil to dissolve and loosen up the soil on them. Rubbing them with a scouring pad also cleans them but will ruin a old coin and lessen it's value. Electrolysis also works on some items. If you are planning on selling anything you need to treat it with TLC.

Most of the coins I get out of the ground I just tumble in a rock tumbler to clean them before putting them back in circulation. Keeps me in Moon Pies and RC cola.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See the cleaning and preservation section of tnet.
Lots of ideas and advice there!!
HH

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Coins are one thing and you have to know what you have before you attempt any cleaning that may harm it. Soaking in olive oil is pretty safe. NEVER rub a coin when cleaning. Always pat dry. If you think the coin is valuable, check with the grading services for their advice on cleaning. If it is really valuable and you have it slabbed and it comes back "cleaned," all the value just went out the window.

As far as other stuff, I have found a few things that work pretty well. Soaking rusted material in WD-40 loosens up most of the rust. CrudKutter (sp?) makes a product that will remove rust from most items. It is non-toxic and works better than you would think. I also use a bluing and rust remover from a gun shop. Works good on rust.

I also have a series of brushes that get progressively harsher - plastic bristles, brass bristles, Stainless Steel bristles, steel bristles.

For small silver things, put it on some aluminum foil, add a little salt, drop of lemon juice (or spit works too) fold tightly together. It will heat up pretty good and even smoke sometimes. Works best for small flat things.

Electrolysis is good too but can eat your stuff is you leave it too long (personal experience). For some reason, I have found Balsamic vinegar works better than lemon juice.

Just some thoughts.

Daryl

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
I find olive oil to be gentle and effective if patience.Common coins can be cleaned with mild soap and water, soft tooth brush. :)
RD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions