rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a breakdown of my situation. I just got a new Deus and I'm loving it. My old shoulder is beat from my years in the army, so I like the light weight. I have a refurbished from the factory v3i with 2 coils dd2 and shooter. I love the polar plot function and don't think there's a better machine for a park Hunter. That said, I'm not much into park hunting anymore. I am however really wanting to do alot of beach hunting in the future. I won't be diving but would like something that would be effective in waist/chest deep water.
Ultimately the question is trade the v3i, what's the fair value? And what's a great salt water detector that won't fry my brain . Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering your shoulder problem, get a machine that is well balanced. Nose heavy, even if the machine is light, will tear you up in just a few hours of swinging.

OP
OP
rebbel31

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering your shoulder problem, get a machine that is well balanced. Nose heavy, even if the machine is light, will tear you up in just a few hours of swinging.

To be clear, it's just I get sore after a few hours with a heavy detector, I'm not totally thrashed yet. Haha. You got a suggestion on one that fits your description?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at and compare the Minelab series Equinox 600 and 800 and Makro multi Kruzer. Both do well on the beach and both have their good and bad points

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Without a doubt, the Minelab Equinox 600. I sold my Tesoro Sand Shark, after one beach hunt with the 600. I didn't do it lightly either. I've used the Sand Shark for years, and it paid for itself many times over in deep gold. The Equinox is lighter, discriminates - and is just as deep. :skullflag: 1/41 FA US Army '73-'76

OP
OP
rebbel31

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without a doubt, the Minelab Equinox 600. I sold my Tesoro Sand Shark, after one beach hunt with the 600. I didn't do it lightly either. I've used the Sand Shark for years, and it paid for itself many times over in deep gold. The Equinox is lighter, discriminates - and is just as deep. :skullflag: 1/41 FA US Army '73-'76

Hey Terry thanks for the reply. The 600 is as effective as the 8 on the beach?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
rebbel31

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, absolutely! :headbang:

It's my understanding the 600 lacks the gold hunting frequency? I'm assuming this is mostly for nugget hunting, however wouldn't the 800 be more effective finding gold on the beach with the extra freq? Excuse my ignorance.

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Hip mounts work, by putting the main weight off your detector. All you swing is the shaft and coil.
A harness is a good idea, but most the ones sold to detectorists are overpriced. You might be able to rig something with those wide red Santa style suspenders.
Something I am aware of from being short is, shaft length is critical. With a length too long, you end up holding it up with your forearm, instead of hanging naturally from the straight shoulder, arm, forearm. Most detectors are too long for me.
I used to hunt with CZ 6a using a hip mount. Loved it.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you like the Whites V3i, purchase a detector harness, there are many and they remove the weight (or transfer) so you can swing all day. I use some type of harness on my Minelab and Whites machines and detect for 8 - 10 hours with no problem (well sometimes my legs or back give out :BangHead:, but not my arm or shoulder :icon_thumleft:). IMHO: The Minelab Equinox 600 would solve your beach/water hunting needs.

GL & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread