Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over 5 decades of digging with a host of detectors I've come full circle and entered the KISS phase. Now I'm digging with a Harbor Freight 9 function detector, $39 out the door, and have dug with guys using top of the line units, and pretty well keeping up. It's about personal satisfaction, and keeping my fun within a budget, and putting cash in my pocket instead of paying for a high end unit as mine has actually paid for itself and I'm living in the profit phase now. A couple of years ago I was digging a tree yard and having success with 2 walkers and a nice heavy mans silver ring along with other goodies when a guy came walking by and handed me $2 and told me to go get something to eat, I took the money and thanked him, added it to my days take, and kept on digging, lol. Doesn't matter to me what anybody thinks about me or my machine, but I think most people suffer with extreme consumerism, lol.

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's prejudice on both ends of the high-dollar / low-dollar detector scale.

I am sure this is a issue on a two way street. The dialogue this has opened up is very surprising and humbling. There is a lot of very good detectorists chiming in with both types of machines. The general concensus is not what I originally perceived from other posts I read. Thank you ALL for chiming in the facts, your thoughts, and opinions. It has meant the world to me, and hopefully if someone else in the future is feeling the same way, they can pull from this thread what I have. That there is a great group of very supportive people on here, who are passionate about what they love to do. Metal detect.

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Over 5 decades of digging with a host of detectors I've come full circle and entered the KISS phase. Now I'm digging with a Harbor Freight 9 function detector, $39 out the door, and have dug with guys using top of the line units, and pretty well keeping up. It's about personal satisfaction, and keeping my fun within a budget, and putting cash in my pocket instead of paying for a high end unit as mine has actually paid for itself and I'm living in the profit phase now. A couple of years ago I was digging a tree yard and having success with 2 walkers and a nice heavy mans silver ring along with other goodies when a guy came walking by and handed me $2 and told me to go get something to eat, I took the money and thanked him, added it to my days take, and kept on digging, lol. Doesn't matter to me what anybody thinks about me or my machine, but I think most people suffer with extreme consumerism, lol.

That's is impressive! I have a nephew with a harbor freight machine. I will have work with him to learn it's abilities. Thank you!!

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That's is impressive! I have a nephew with a harbor freight machine. I will have work with him to learn it's abilities. Thank you!!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure it is the 9 function rather than the lackluster 6 function unit, and the 9 function that runs on 6 AA batteries and not the older 9 function that ran on 3 9v batteries. Here is a video I did after 81 actual hours with this unit in the field. Note, just a couple of weeks after I did this vid, the handle broke off, but was an easy repair, lol, made in China...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter bought a "Star Wars Science" metal detector and is tearing the State of NY a new one with it. $39. Who would have thought?

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My daughter bought a "Star Wars Science" metal detector and is tearing the State of NY a new one with it. $39. Who would have thought?

I am getting a harbor freight machine for my 4 year old. Looking for a 9 function like Slingshot suggested, and hope he digs it.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's just all take a deep breath here. The national average for a keepable target is 6" or less. You don't have to have a lot of the machines advertised here on the forum and on Youtube.

If I thought back to the majority of coins I’ve dug(since I’m strictly a coin hunter) this would be correct. And the VAST majority were “stand alone” targets...in other words,obvious. High resolution target ID is nice,along with other features. But site selection is by FAR the most important,if it’s not there it won’t be found. A good researcher always does better than Mr. Fancy at a truly worn out site. What you’re running is just fine,learn it well if you haven’t and have fun doing it. Beating yourself over the head about getting a “better” machine makes no sense,but getting onto good sites makes all kinds of sense.
Where ya at in WI?

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I thought back to the majority of coins I’ve dug(since I’m strictly a coin hunter) this would be correct. And the VAST majority were “stand alone” targets...in other words,obvious. High resolution target ID is nice,along with other features. But site selection is by FAR the most important,if it’s not there it won’t be found. A good researcher always does better than Mr. Fancy at a truly worn out site. What you’re running is just fine,learn it well if you haven’t and have fun doing it. Beating yourself over the head about getting a “better” machine makes no sense,but getting onto good sites makes all kinds of sense.
Where ya at in WI?

This is great advice good sir. I am in Prairie du Chien, right next to the Iowa border.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Can_slaw, I made the mistake of taking her to coin beach, Delaware. If I remember right I got skunked that day, it was a year after Sandy, maybe a little longer. They were dredging sand onto the beach for replenishment and were not following the rules. They would dump out the basket of larger objects because they got lazy and we would come up upon a huge signal of sinkers, sometimes 5-10 pounds in one hole with the can slaw, fishing line, etc. My daughter went through one of the "dumps" from the screens they were supposed to have removed from the area and found two 8 reales and a 1/2 escudo. If memory serves, I got nothing. She still has them. We were using two Tesoro Cibolas at the time (I think that was 2013).

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I forgot you were over there,we were discussing that in another thread before....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's ok, I forget what day it is and then I realize its 2018 and I'm getting blasted OLD.

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, Can_slaw, I made the mistake of taking her to coin beach, Delaware. If I remember right I got skunked that day, it was a year after Sandy, maybe a little longer. They were dredging sand onto the beach for replenishment and were not following the rules. They would dump out the basket of larger objects because they got lazy and we would come up upon a huge signal of sinkers, sometimes 5-10 pounds in one hole with the can slaw, fishing line, etc. My daughter went through one of the "dumps" from the screens they were supposed to have removed from the area and found two 8 reales and a 1/2 escudo. If memory serves, I got nothing. She still has them. We were using two Tesoro Cibolas at the time (I think that was 2013).

Mistake? Must be because of the skunking you got on the reales. I am really glad to hear you have a hunting buddy like that. Glad mine are hunting buddies too!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually dig with quite a few people. One or two from a local club, and some from Tnet and other clubs. We get around, it works out pretty well.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My machine is a couple of notches below yours, but my finds on the beach or in the woods hang with my friends swinging Xcals, F75's, CTX 3030's, Deus's and ATPros.

Research, understanding your machine and just getting out a lot is key.

Here's to hoping you get lots of those sweet, tight, deep, "round" beeps baby!!!

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My machine is a couple of notches below yours, but my finds on the beach or in the woods hang with my friends swinging Xcals, F75's, CTX 3030's, Deus's and ATPros.

Research, understanding your machine and just getting out a lot is key.

Here's to hoping you get lots of those sweet, tight, deep, "round" beeps baby!!!

Beep, dig, repeat!!!
Good luck out there and happy hunting!

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually dig with quite a few people. One or two from a local club, and some from Tnet and other clubs. We get around, it works out pretty well.

LOL. I was referring to also having your kids as hunting buddies. My kids are still pretty young; 12, 8, and 4. But they are getting their independence more every year, and are finding less they need from me. Metal detecting is something that I hope to God sticks with them. When I hear gentleman like yourself talk about detecting with the kiddos, it definitely gives me hope though. I bought a Tesoro Compadre from the classifieds forum, and cannot wait to present it to my son's. I really think they will have an easier time than they were with the Ace 300.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter is in her 30's.....

Perfect, meets the criteria. Female, 30's, detects, with a bonus of a cool father in law. Ill trade you 2 horses and a months salary.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread