Has Law Enforcement asked you for Assistance in recovering something ?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been asked a couple of times by Sheriff's departments to help locate things. In 1989 to 1992 here in Ohio we had a person that killed 5 sportsmen. His name was Thomas Lee Dillon. The Tuscarawas county Sheriff
s office asked me to help search a few river crossing in search of a 308 caliber rifle. Near Sandyville Ohio. I waded in the water for about 6 hours in one spot looking for that rifle. No luck but i did find a 22 rifle and a Smith and Wesson 357 hand gun that had been stolen and used in a robbery. Nothing was ever said about the 22. A few miles from that crossing near the village of Magnolia in Stark Dillon was supposed to have thrown his typewriter in. No luck on finding that either, I did find Giant safe about 5 foot by 5 foot with the door cut off. It had been cut off by a cutting torch. It was stolen from a auto body shop in Canton Ohio. The thieves had backed up to the fiver about 100 yards down stream from the bridge and pushed it in.
Another time A guy had shot and killed his partner at a Oil well site . The Carroll county Sheriff took me there with my detector to look for bullets and casings . I did find 3 SW casings but no bullets. They was from the killers guns.

OK NOT PLEASE post your experence's PLEASE !~!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
good story Gare. Good on you for volunteering to help LEO's in their work .

I've done several police hunts. Eg.: spent bullets, etc... And one time: a stashed gun said to be buried on a ranch near a tree. But there were hundreds of trees. So the sheriffs enlisted the help of a club in this part of the state. The club is on retainer for any time the police call them for help. We found it.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two years ago, a friend and I were contacted by the local Police Chief and were told a hunter had found a human skeleton. The person had been missing for two years and it was determined to be a suicide. The parents asked if the police found the Rolex watch, so we were asked to try and locate it. We were unsuccessful.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if this counts, but yesterday I was asked to locate a property stake for a retired sherriff. It was for his private residence.
Found it in less than 5 minutes.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_Ca were you ever asked to look for a KNIFE ON BRENTWOOD ? LOL

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SD51: Not ALWAYS but a lot of times just before someone commits SUICIDE they give there prized posessions to somone they think very highly of

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few other times I was asked by our Sheriff's dept to help them. Once was a high school student was hit by a hit and run driver . the student was killed and his class ring was knocked off . I liiked for that ring for 3 days and no luck:( Another time a home was broke into and a jewelry box was taken. The thieves said they through the box in the river and watched it float away. I searched down the river and never finding one piece of Jewelry :( Another time They contacted my asking to check out a small river maybe 5 foot deep . The crooks said they threw a guys golf clubs and 3 stolen guns in a deep hole. Dived for that one with scuba. Found the gold clubs but no guns.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
our club has a crime unit that is on call 24/7 for los angeles and orange county.pcsc.
brad

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1637 can you share some of the clubs searches ? I am sure we would like to hear about them and it may even help others if asked

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I began detecting while I was on the job. Besides my own department, several others in the area around us utilized my services. Four firearm searches - three successful. One search for jewelry taken in a burglary - only found one piece (thigh-high prairie grass...hard to swing). And some others...mostly crime scene exteriors.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I volunteered with my local city PD but they haven't called on me yet.
Marvin

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the late 80s or early 90s, our Brownwood Police Department asked our Central Texas Treasure Club to assist them in locating evidence of a murder during a Juneteenth celebration. I helped in the search. One member located a few dropped, un-fired bullets from one of the guns used in the murder. The 3 suspects were all convicted and sentenced to long prison terms.
~Texas Jay

Central Texas Treasure Club

Fain-CTTC-AidingPolice-cropped.jpg

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wonder if anyone has searched the Grassy knoll at the plaza in Dallas ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread...

Ordinance Removal Camp Croft.
Ordinance Removal Fort Desoto.
Body search and recovery.
Weapon search and recovery.
USGC - FWC - PCSO - assists
Hazardous debris removal land.
Hazardous debris removal water.
Submerged hazard removal.
Marker mapping.
Pipe and Line mapping.
Submerged mapping.
Countless time of volunteer help within State, County and National parks.

And I am sure I have forgotten something...

I was first asked to use my "knack" of finding things when i was a kid... with anchors, wallets and keys.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC I need your PHONE NUMBER in case i find a BOMB LOL

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wonder if anyone has searched the Grassy knoll at the plaza in Dallas ?
Gare

Gare, I found this when I searched for that information:

"...In 1974, Dallas resident Richard Lester swept Dealey Plaza with a metal

detector, and discovered a fragment -- the base portion of a bullet -- 500
yards southwest of the TSBD and 61 paces east of the triple underpass. Later he
turned it over to the FBI, and it was studied by the House Select Committee on
Assassinations in 1978. They found that the fragment was from a 6.5 mm bullet,
but that it had not been fired from the alleged "Oswald" Mannlicher-Carcano: its
rifling pattern was different (Associated Press, January 5, 1978; 7 HSCA 395;
Hewett). A whole, unfired .45 caliber bullet was found in 1976 by Hal Luster by
the concrete retaining wall on the knoll (Dallas Morning News,
December 23, 1978)... "

From about 2/3 down the page here:
Weapons on Dealey Plaza - JFK Assassination Debate - The Education Forum

~Texas Jay

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC I need your PHONE NUMBER in case i find a BOMB LOL

Don't call me man ...hah... you find something like that you need call someone who deals with it...

All I would do is stare at it... so I would do you no good.

I just located a bunch several times over the years on properties that needed location FOR "clearing" / "cleaning"...

dudes who know how to take care of that stuff come in and get it after I would flag it.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texas Jay : THANKS YOU EVER SO MUCH for the update. Many years back i had contacted the FBI asking them if a search had ever been done of those areas. I never did hear anything back figuring they had. Like i started saying THANKS AGAIN !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread