Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1837.jpg heres one you know vhoov. A silver pickle fork found at pikles reef in the keys. The reef is named pickles because of a wreck called the pickle barrel wreck. Out of anything that could be found there I found a pickle fork. Strangley it did not come from the pickle barrel wreck but from an unknown wreck in much deeper water off pickles reef. Weird !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It gets even weirder. I found the fork in a lobster trap!! It was put there by an octopus that had taken over the trap to make a nest. They often put objects that are man made in the trap. And sometimes treasure if the trap is near a treasure wreck. We have found several wrecks with the help of the octopus. This is a new site in 160 ft. They will pick a trap and fill it with debri. Sometimes if it happens close to a wreck the trap will be 80% man made objects. Many of the objects will be un noticeable as they are coral encrusted. We bang the rocks with a hammer to reveal whats inside. Metal, glass, pottery, spikes, nails, screws, and sometimes a silver pickle fork !! It took over 15 years to figure this little known octopus phenomenon. I check every octopus nest now !!

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, this story spans decades and details can be lengthy so I'll try to keep it short. With that being said punctuation may be bad since I'm on my cell.

It involves my grandparents on my dads side. Grandmother passed three days before 9-11. My dad was supposed to fly home that day, but had delays and such. I did not see them much because my parents divorced and naturally dads get alienated. So, it had been a while and they always wanted to see me.

I was deployed and during my mid tour leave from the middle east I decided to not tell anyone I was coming home. Walked in the front door and my mom thought I was a burglar. It was funny at the time. She immediately told my to call my grandfather, so I did.

My aunt answered and said he wasn't able to speak, he was dying. Sleeping and mumbling. But my aunt said he kept asking about me that night so she had me speak in his ear and let him know I was home. She said he could hear me.

Got off the phone and when I called the next morning she said he had passed after the phone call.

So I packed up for a road trip to attend the funeral. I had not seen that side of the family since my Gram passed.

I stayed with one cousin while out there and as we pulled up to the cemetary she said if we see a butterfly then it is Pap.

Saw a butterfly, but this gets weird.

We are standing in a circle around the grave and they are burying two urns. Apparently my pap kept her ashes so they could be buried together.

The pastor was speaking and then went into song...everyone had their heads down from what I could see. I was looking around trying to hold back tears.

So off in the distance I see a butterfly, then another comes to join it. I'm really fighting tears at this point. Then what do you know. They start flying in the services direction.

The hairs on my body stand up everytime I tell this story.

Here's the crazy part, they keep getting closer...and closer....and closer. They were actually quite far away at first. They kept coming closer....the flew past the opposite side and straight toward me.

Both of them kept flying and they both landed on my lips. I reacted by jerking my head because I wasn't expecting two bugs to land on my face.

I glanced over at my aunt right after that happened and she burst into tears when she saw that. She was the only one to see it because she happened to glance up, It is barely believable.

Years later me and my tank crew were having horrible luck trying to be the top tank in our company while in Korea. Everyone's morale was in the dumps. We were sitting there getting ready for our qualifying day run and two butterflies flew past and landed on the turret.

I told my guys we would be fine and told them the whole story.
We shot top tank. Here's the trophy from that day.

1536274834466.jpeg

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It gets even weirder. I found the fork in a lobster trap!! It was put there by an octopus that had taken over the trap to make a nest. They often put objects that are man made in the trap. And sometimes treasure if the trap is near a treasure wreck. We have found several wrecks with the help of the octopus. This is a new site in 160 ft. They will pick a trap and fill it with debri. Sometimes if it happens close to a wreck the trap will be 80% man made objects. Many of the objects will be un noticeable as they are coral encrusted. We bang the rocks with a hammer to reveal whats inside. Metal, glass, pottery, spikes, nails, screws, and sometimes a silver pickle fork !! It took over 15 years to figure this little known octopus phenomenon. I check every octopus nest now !!
That's one heck of a way to let mother nature do some of the work!!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine's not treasure-related, but DEFINITELY falls into the Incredible Odds category...
1977 or 78. I'm handling a minor fender bender and have both drivers in the back of my squad so we can do a quick report. I get the first drivers DL and see his birth date...exact same month, day, year as mine! I mention it out loud to him and repeat the info. The OTHER driver starts laughing his ass off. I turn and ask him: "Whats so funny, Pal?" He hands me HIS license and yep...Same. Exact. Date. What are the odds? πŸ˜‚

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine's not treasure-related, but DEFINITELY falls into the Incredible Odds category...
1977 or 78. I'm handling a minor fender bender and have both drivers in the back of my squad so we can do a quick report. I get the first drivers DL and see his birth date...exact same month, day, year as mine! I mention it out loud to him and repeat the info. The OTHER driver starts laughing his ass off. I turn and ask him: "Whats so funny, Pal?" He hands me HIS license and yep...Same. Exact. Date. What are the odds? πŸ˜‚
That's funny

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vhoov.........I had a slight lump in my throat, and a bit of blurry eyes from them watering up. That was a beautiful story, thanks for that.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1977 or 78. I'm handling a minor fender bender and have both drivers in the back of my squad so we can do a quick report. I get the first drivers DL and see his birth date...exact same month, day, year as mine! I mention it out loud to him and repeat the info. The OTHER driver starts laughing his ass off. I turn and ask him: "Whats so funny, Pal?" He hands me HIS license and yep...Same. Exact. Date. What are the odds? ��

So all 3 of you in the same car and all born on the same day !!!!! Now thats incredible odds !! Thanks ogre 1190.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So all 3 of you in the same car and all born on the same day !!!!! Now thats incredible odds !! Thanks ogre 1190.

Was working a drive-thru in the late eighties, carded a young girl...and I looked..and looked, she said "it's not fake!"..I said "no, we have the same exact birthdate!" She just grabbed it back and rolled her eyes..thinking it was a pickup line..lol. Ddf.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a really good friend that always had to work really hard for everything he used recreationally. He had showed me his deluxe Leatherman he'd paid a small fortune for. We were riding down the beach on Hatteras NC when I spotted something in the tide line. I made him stop and jumped out to claim a Leatherman just like his, from the surf. He never got over it!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im detecting at a park I go to a lot, well this guy approaches me who lives at a house right next to the park entrance. Anyway he tells me he has an AT PRO like mine and wants to detect. He bought it for a vacation and only used it once. Well he comes back with his detecter and we go to this area by the railroad tracks that Ive hit many times and Im teaching him how to use his detecter. Im walking around like the big Rooster the pro the master . 10 minutes into the hunt he digs a large half cent WTF you gottta be kiddin me . 5 minutes later he finds a full 5th of booze and a half case of beer. He grabs his treasures and is done with his 20 minute hunt walking home with my I mean his goodies. I stay to detect more. all of a sudden this car pulls up and 5 or 6 guys get out and head over to the bushes where this guy found all the booze so I left .

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever had the experience at an auction that you spot something really valuable, deep in a box, just cool it and pass on by. You wait at a distance and figure to play it cool and when the auctioneer sells it no one else even bids? It's like you're in a time warp and everyone else is either dumb struck or paralyzed. I'll call this my summer of silver. I went to an auction earlier in the spring in a pouring rain storm. The goods were on hay wagons all covered up. The auction listed sterling so I'd hoped to pick up a piece of dinnerware or two. I found this large box with a pile of silver plated meat platters on top, five or more of different sizes with the tags still on. I lifted them just enough to see the patina of sterling underneath. I shook my head and wondered off. It was one of two boxes left on the wagon and the auctioneer was seeking a 2 dollar bid. Before I could answer he threw in the box of crystal next to it. I lifted my card to bid and it was like I was there by myself. No one else bid and my 2 dollars won. My sister was there and I gave her the crystal and lugged this, rain melted, box of stuff, a block, down the street on my shoulder to the truck. When I got home I lifted the platters off the pile and discovered 2 sets of Gorham candle sticks. a Gorham bud vase, a Paul Revere reproduction 7" punch bowl, a cigarette lighter made on a Revere 2" replica punch bowl and several smaller pieces of sterling and high quality plate that were hallmarked. It looks like over $500.00. I'm really disappointed cause I just wanted 50 grams or so of casting scrap. LOL A few weeks later I participated in the famous Rt 11 Yard Crawl. I went to my usual starting point and found some really eclectic items and when I went to check out I spotted a really nice baby cup on the table next to the cashier. I picked it up and saw the hallmark and paid the lady the $5. When I got home it turned out to be a Spratling cup from the WW2 period worth over $300. I have no fear in telling this story because I know from experience that I'll never see a repeat of this kind of wild assed luck again. As for the sterling spoons, I'm still looking! This same crowd fought tooth and nail over a 20 yr old Bose radio that brought $75.00. I'm always amazed!

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Run Forest, Run!" Great story!

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Non-treasure related but this is my grandparents (on my mother's side) grave. They both died on June 13th 13 years apart.

8509958.jpg

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff guys......I knew that just about everyone has some story or another that falls in the "twilight zone" of whats possible. Thanks guys....keep them coming !!

chatterbait

Dec 27, 2016
Gloucester co.NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4,AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was talking a girl up outside an arcade in the 80's.Asked her name.Same as mine, few laughs cause its spelled the same way.What's your last name? BAM its the same.Both pull ID's to prove it.Small world I guess.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/616461-1733-treasure-fleet-coin-fri-13th-again.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...asure-fleet-coin-friday-13th.html#post5569149

I have not kept up on my thread here.....but heres one of the examples I'm talking about. Both my banners were found on one of the unluckiest days of the year.....friday 13th. The ship that these coins came from sailed into a hurricane on Friday the 13th 1733. What are the odds of finding two 8 reales from the same wreck at the same beach on 2 separate fri. 13ths from a ship that sailed to its doom on Friday 13th !! The other wierd thing is there is a big number 13 painted on a structure not more than 5 feet from my spot.....that's just to much coincidence for me to ignore !!

Oh ya I forgot to mention that three separate hurricanes were involved in the losing and recovering of these coins.....wierd !!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man.....c'mon......2 banners on fri. 13th.....that alone is wierd enough !!

My bad.....only one banner and a nice 1 reale !!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread