Casting treasure hunters for new series.

NevadaSmith

Mar 23, 2018
Knoxville TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all... I wanted to briefly intro myself and then ask for your help with the reason I signed up for the forum.

I am a Tennessee-based TV producer who works for a company with a solid reputation in the reality/true crime genres.

Like every other TV company our size, we're looking for our own Oak Island-style show right now. We have two great settings/legendary treasures picked out - one in the American southwest and one in the Appalachians. Now all we need are the characters to go look for them.

Here's what I'm looking for:
- people who first and foremost love treasure-hunting and the folklore that goes with it
- people who are comfortable enough in their own skin to be followed around by a small crew of enthusiastic TV-makers
- people who don't mind the contrivances of the genre; television is full of eye-rolling, cheesy garbage and I'm sure there's plenty of stuff in Oak Island that makes your skin crawl. However, that's the nature of the beast. There will be cheesy moments but, hopefully, they're in service of telling a bigger, more exciting story steeped in the legends and history that make our country so fascinating. I want the show to be factual, fun, and respectful.
- it helps if you live in southern Appalachia or the US southwest but it's not vital if you're willing to travel
- other than that, I don't care if you're young/old, male/female, fat/thin...
- bonus points if you're part of a team and have any odd areas of expertise

If any of this intrigues you, shoot me a message and we'll talk about how to get you in the casting pool. You can send me links to any video you might already have online, too.

Please feel free to ask any questions. I'm not mentioning the specific treasures we're after right now because I don't want anyone to "scoop" the show idea while we're in the opening stages of development. We'll reveal that as we draw closer to casting decisions.

Thanks!

(Mods... if this is somehow not kosher, feel free to delete. I read the rules and found nothing against posting this sort of thing but didn't know if there was an "unspoken rule" about fishing for contributors.)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will think about it if you get bigwavedave and oregonviking to join me.
I assume you are covering all costs and some starting salary. I am semi retiring this summer so can go to make your show great again.
( oh, and I will require a pretty young beer assistant)

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumright:

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
If this was posted any other day......

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello NevadaSmith, My friend Jeffy needs a pretty young beer assistant... my humble request includes a lifetime supply of Milky Ways.
Get OV to agree, along with a bunch of vintage Camaro parts, and you got yourself a team!

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
P.S. I can say WOO WOO WOO better than Gary Drayton.....just sayin'.....:tongue3:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want your show to be a hit, do yourself and everyone here a favor and PLEASE read up on the numerous posts of these numerous other "Reality" shows to get an insight, otherwise, you end up with another fictional made for tv comedy. Just my two cents worth.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it okay if you're bipolar and look like a serial killer? Let me know.

I can't jump around like they do on "Diggers", but I do trip and fall down a lot. That might be entertaining for some...

VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:dontknow: 4-1-18 Hop! Hop! Paging Mr SMITH

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
My experience has been 'contrivance of the genre' simply means they are not developing a show that follows a real investigation or search (that may have a chance of finding something OR may come up with proof the whole thing was made up) but the hokiest, stupidest, most illogical story you ever heard so those with 'big personalities' can simply
perform their act.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm ready for my close up Mr. Smith! :laughing7:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Bad choice of websites to pick smith:laughing7:All you're going to end up doing is producing the SAME MAINSTREAM GARBAGE as all the other unoriginal networks to cater to the brain dead masses.Get original and you might have something.Reality shows are not reality,get it?

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now Mr. Smith ran off... must have got a good look at Terry...maybe my last chance to be a Big TV Star.... at my age i`d settle for being jeff`s "Good Looking" beer assistant... at 65 my good looks are fadin fast...and i can`t find my metal detector !

Gary
Picture 38.jpg

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.....you end up with another fictional made for tv comedy....

My experience has been 'contrivance of the genre' simply means they are not developing a show that follows a real investigation or search (that may have a chance of finding something OR may come up with proof the whole thing was made up) but the hokiest, stupidest, most illogical story you ever heard so those with 'big personalities' can simply
perform their act.

Bad choice of websites to pick smithAll you're going to end up doing is producing the SAME MAINSTREAM GARBAGE as all the other unoriginal networks to cater to the brain dead masses.Get original and you might have something.Reality shows are not reality,get it?

Simon, freeman, & Red-James-cash: My sentiments exactly. But you're getting it straight from the horses mouth here [emphasis and italics mine] :

- people who don't mind the contrivances of the genre; television is full of eye-rolling, cheesy garbage and I'm sure there's plenty of stuff in Oak Island that makes your skin crawl. However, that's the nature of the beast. There will be cheesy moments but, hopefully, they're in service of telling a bigger, more exciting story steeped in the legends ...

Hey Nevada Smith: We here @ treasurenet have JUST the applicant for you. He goes by "Finders keepers". He's everything you want. Filled with passion. Utterly convinced about treasure legends. Ghost stories that are filled with conspiracies, double-crosses, tips-of-iceberg finds, massive amounts of gold that await "just out of reach". All those around him are not *true* treasure hunters. He's on to the "big ticket game". And on top of that, is just CHOMPING AT THE BIT to be on TV, attract media attention, etc.... What more could you ask for ? Drop him a PM, and I'm sure he'll respond.

Will any true md'rs watch it ? No. But as you admit yourself: That's not what sells in Hollywood.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it okay if you're bipolar and look like a serial killer? Let me know.

I can't jump around like they do on "Diggers", but I do trip and fall down a lot. That might be entertaining for some...
That is what I am and what I look like. Let us get together sometime. Bring beer and chips.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to be on the show because I can yell real loud: Boob Baby.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now Mr. Smith ran off... must have got a good look at Terry...maybe my last chance to be a Big TV Star.... at my age i`d settle for being jeff`s "Good Looking" beer assistant... at 65 my good looks are fadin fast...and i can`t find my metal detector !

Gary
View attachment 1578760

ummmm how do I say this? You won't pass the physical

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't worry GAP,there will be others.Same garbage different day,different mainstream media zombie,all one in the same.I guess originality has gone to hell just like everything else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions