Whatever. Bad experiences with people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mace.Gun.Cops.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are you referring to detecting or in life in general?

Personally the two legged animals are more dangerous than any furry four legged types.
Mainly animals just leave and rather not interact with a human, then again some have the opinion of if it walks on all four one must shoot it, if it crawls or slithers one must kill it. Urban areas are far more dangerous than the rural areas of detecting, one just has to be aware of the site.
Would you walk through the park in the middle of the hood filled with druggies? Then one might ask why would one want to detect there?
Being around digging in the dirt for 50 yrs and I can count on one hand the times that there's been a situation where I had to use some quick thinking to defuse or react to a person coming on to me.
Never with an animal or reptile-bugs & insects are another story.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Are you referring to detecting or in life in general?....

Exactly what I was thinking. If you cross the street, you "might get hit by a car". If you leave your front door in the morning, you "might get attacked by a lion", etc.....

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you referring to detecting or in life in general?

Personally the two legged animals are more dangerous than any furry four legged types.
Mainly animals just leave and rather not interact with a human, then again some have the opinion of if it walks on all four one must shoot it, if it crawls or slithers one must kill it. Urban areas are far more dangerous than the rural areas of detecting, one just has to be aware of the site.
Would you walk through the park in the middle of the hood filled with druggies? Then one might ask why would one want to detect there?
Being around digging in the dirt for 50 yrs and I can count on one hand the times that there's been a situation where I had to use some quick thinking to defuse or react to a person coming on to me.
Never with an animal or reptile-bugs & insects are another story.

Great post

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Always check the surrounds and make as many friends as you can. Listen for dogs barking. What I mean by that is, someone should turn one loose just to see what it will do. We have tons of Pit Bulls in the South and you just never know. I always check the area out before asking for premission. You can buy snake boots but not dog boots.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only issue I ever have is dog owners who don't keep their pets on a leash. Just because you're in the woods, doesn't mean it's okay to let your dog roam free. I've run into way too many dogs who are aggressive and start barking or growling at me. Unless your dog is a sweetheart, keep him under control.

I'm an animal lover, but if your dog bites me, he's going to be in a lot of pain when he gets a shovel upside his head. I'm also going to sue you and have your dog euthanized, if he has a history of biting people.

Bottom line, the woods are for everyone's enjoyment. Keep your mutt on a leash.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was down in Mississippi detecting in a sugar cane brake. I stepped on a rattler it was on one sise of a sugar cane stalk and was trying to strike me and the stalk prevented it!!! What seemed like eternity mighe only been a few seconds but i assure you itwas long enough for me @!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 or 5 years back i was at a park up near Akron Ohio. # black guys came up and started snickering. I became concerned as i was alone. They asked me how much my metal detector cost? I was using a Minelab CTX3030 So I told them i think i have maybe $25.00 in all of it. I can still see the one guy saying hump. Then turned and walked away I could not be sure but my heart was pounding and i thought i heard him say not worth it !!! These are probably two of my most memorable happenings
'

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to give you all a bit of advice. If you encounter a bad situation with someone and you think they have ill intentions SCREAM ANYONES name and H
HOLLERING BRING MY GUN QUICK !!!
'

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
There's 3 things you can do,arm yourself,run away after surrendering your belongings,possibly lose your life or get seriously hurt.Take your pick.You have two choices in life,be armed or be a possible victim.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's 3 things you can do,arm yourself,run away after surrendering your belongings,possibly lose your life or get seriously hurt.Take your pick.You have two choices in life,be armed or be a possible victim.

How many stories do you read where someone metal detecting got robbed? Maybe one a year? Probably not even that many. Let's be serious here. Metal detecting with a gun strapped to your hip is only going to get you grief from people. If I see some guy with a gun doing anything (even metal detecting) near a school, baseball field or a park, I'm calling the cops. Just the way it is right now.

Bottom line, this is not the time to be carrying a gun anywhere in public. Not a commentary, just a statement of fact. Find another way to defend yourself, if you're so afraid of being mugged.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many stories do you read where someone metal detecting got robbed? Maybe one a year? Probably not even that many. Let's be serious here. Metal detecting with a gun strapped to your hip is only going to get you grief from people. If I see some guy with a gun doing anything (even metal detecting) near a school, baseball field or a park, I'm calling the cops. Just the way it is right now.

Bottom line, this is not the time to be carrying a gun anywhere in public. Not a commentary, just a statement of fact. Find another way to defend yourself, if you're so afraid of being mugged.

...here we go again:happy1:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The only issue I ever have is dog owners who don't keep their pets on a leash. Just because you're in the woods, doesn't mean it's okay to let your dog roam free. I've run into way too many dogs who are aggressive and start barking or growling at me. Unless your dog is a sweetheart, keep him under control.

I'm an animal lover, but if your dog bites me, he's going to be in a lot of pain when he gets a shovel upside his head. I'm also going to sue you and have your dog euthanized, if he has a history of biting people.

Bottom line, the woods are for everyone's enjoyment. Keep your mutt on a leash.

Detecting in England 9yrs ago I had a long day of swinging the Minelab and after 10 hrs the sense of ha,ha was running low. I came to a park/pitch that was on the end of a huge field and started to dig a few silvers mixed with older relics. My grey skies were lifting and I noticed this dude drive up and started walking around with his dog. The dog started running toward me-then run back toward the owner-this happened 3-4 times and I could hear the guy say something to the dog.
They got about 200 ft away and now the dog charged right me, I planted the shovel in the soil between me and the dog and growled at it.
The dog ran back to the owner and the owner got it to charge me again, once again I planted the shovel in front of me and told it to bugger off!
The dog ran back toward the guy, and at that time I took off the headphones and yelled over to him.

" That's number two and I play baseball. Try it three times and I will kill the dog with this shovel and it won't be the dog's fault"

He replied " It just is bothered by your beeping in the headphones"

I just replied " I haven't had a beep in the past 5 minutes so like I said " That's number 2 and the 3rd time I will kill the dog and it will be your fault"
The guy took his mutt and left.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

It's an option maybe for you, but it isn't even a conversation for us in Canada. Carry a knife over 6" blade it's against the law, and could be considered as a restricted weapon.
No handguns-period unless having a job requirement as a high security guard or law enforcement agent.
Carry dog spray-once again it could very well be considered as a weapon.

Sure you can use the opinion of our rights are squashed and we're restricted and bla,bla,bla-but at the end of day it is what it is. If I didn't like it-I'd take up residence with a different passport name.

So options come down to using common sense while detecting and there's a very good chance a person will not have to worry.
If I can't sit there and eat my lunch without being hassled by some perp., why would I take a detector and start waving it around drawing attention.
This just my own feelings on this, having spent a good number of years on the streets and having lost many chiclets over that time I'm pretty good at knowing when to hold or folding the hand.

Dsorgnzd

Sep 23, 2003
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot,
White's5900 Di Pro,
Compass Relic Magnum 7A
Fortunately my only close encounter with a dog came early one morning as I was detecting on the beach. It was a warm summer day and I was wearing shorts . A very large dog came up behind me and planted his very cold nose against the back of my knee. That may not have been the most intense adrenaline rush of my life, but it was in the top three.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far in rural Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania I have encountered nothing but nice people

Now back in NYC,, That was a whole different story.
Use a little common sense and trust your instincts.
Better to swallow your pride and move on. We're more interested in the finds you made rather than in whose A$$ you kicked.

Last edited:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snakes, sun stroke, Baboons, #natives, scorpians, being killed by a drunk driver on the way to a site, dehydration, injuring yourself outside cell reception, thorn bushes, chaffed nuts. Even worse breaking a coil bolt.
If going remote wear CAMO.
Some time ago I was hiking way up on the top of a mountain ridge. Very remote but just had the Fisher out and was poking around. Been walking this mountain for years never saw anyone else(its 30min behind my house) Sat down for lunch. Apples and water. was enjoying the view when I heard VOICES. Turns out it was two other hikers. I had a quick look then moved to the other side of a rock and didnt move. They passed within a few yards of me. Moral : you never really know who is where.

I have very sensitive smell and could smell their deodorant. Can smell cigarette smoke a mile away.

Got chased my two natives once (gutless thugs often travel in pairs or groups) I made it out but ran through bush -got covered in scratches.

Baboons....always come across groups of them . They are intimidating but harmless (so far) The Alpha male is the only threat.They actually bark sort of like a dog - the echo can be unnerving. They also sit on ridges and can look like people ( hate the weight of binocs in the backpack but so grateful when I need them)

I always have a giggle at religious folks when they come to visit me. Even though I dont do anything intentionally reckless they are always so concerned about their safety and FEAR. Scared witless. I always ask them "dont you believe in god?". they answer "yes! ofcourse!" Then I reply " It sure doesnt sound like it" ha ha ha there by the grace of god ...

Just be sensible, if you die while detecting it sounds like a dream come true. Better than 20 years in a home being visited once a month and unable to remember your name.

Chub

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions