How would you approach this property?

johnwon2

Jun 21, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark & Equinox-800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I recently added an Equinox-800 to my hobby room and found it pretty easy to use on the beach. In order to get some more experience with the target IDs, I decided to run it on a lot that has never been detected where a house was built in the 1930s and there is business that is run out of the building today. The issue is that there are so many targets on the lot that I can't find a spot to start where I don't get a hit. On the beach, when I find a target, I normally put the dirt from the hole to the side and sweep the detector over the dirt to see if I got the item out of the hole since I like working the soft sand. That's not working here. I think if I could get a clear area I could then work from there. I put a +/- 50 second video below to show you my target IDs to give you an idea just how crazy this lot is in hopes of getting some ideas on how to approach this lot.

Thanks,
John

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you and others who purchase these two detectors, good hunting and good luck.

OP
OP
J

johnwon2

Jun 21, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks. I had been looking at upgrading for a long time and originally was going to go with a different detector, but when this one came out it gave me the features that I wanted from the 3030 without the weight or price tag... a few less bells and whistles, but still had all of the features that I was really looking for in a detector.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is pretty much what most of the properties I hunt are like. I will try to make a video and post sometime soon. I would shorten up your swing to 18 to 24" max and if I hit a target that gave me a not to jumpy VDI say 13-15, 19-22, 24-27, etc. Then I would try that same target from 90 degree rotation if I get the same VDI and/or tone. Dig!

I might cherry pic depending on the age of the location and time I had so I might only dig a solid 13 or anything about 23ish or above.

Yes, it can be extremely frustrating and I wish I could say there is some magic method to not dig trash but if there is I don't know of one. Let me say it this way without digging trash or some iffy signals your leaving stuff behind for me.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best thing for trashy areas is a smaller coil. I e-mailed Minelab and asked them if they would kindly make an 8" coil for the Nox and their reply was that they have no plans for such but will have the 6" coil available soon. I normally only use 8" coils, they were the old standard for coin hunting. Most manufacturers went to the 11" coils merely for greater depth claims and it is true that the larger the coil the deeper it will penetrate. Problem is that an 8" coil will find most all coins in unaltered soil since most coins will not be found below 10" and most will be 8" or less. Minelab made 8" coils for their Etrac series and their Excals, I think they have their heads in the sand if they don't make one for the Nox. I would buy a Nox but I will wait until Coiltech or somebody else comes out with an 8" coil for them. Note that most AT Pro users prefer the 8" coil for general coin hunting.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gunsil brings up a good point. I to am partial to the 8" or less concentric for trashy areas.

I would also add that in hunting sites like this there are many days, weeks, sometimes months I get skunked and feel down coming home with a dollar in clad and bucket of iron, thinking what the hell am I doing this for. Once I got over the fact that I'm not in it for the money and may never recoup my expensive I was able to enjoy it like any other hobby.

When you come home and your wife is like.. "Are we rich yet" for the thousands time :icon_scratch:

GroundBalanced

Aug 4, 2017
WestCoast-FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey John. First thing i would want to rule out is that you aren't getting EMI causing some of this. Does the detector bounce around TDI's when you are standing still & aren't swinging? Secondly, i agree with the other posters - smaller coil for trashy areas would be beneficial, but we all know thats not available yet. Third... agree, shorten up your swing a bit, and Fourth ... decide what you want to dig up. You could lower your recover speed which will cause you to get less "hits" that are close together, but maybe give you a better idea of what those fewer "hits" actually are. (maybe). Do your 90 degree turn to verify the TDI is the same, as the other poster stated. The faster recovery speed will show you all of the targets, even though they are close. But depending on what you are "looking for" maybe you can focus on HIGH TONES (for silver) or LOW TONES (for more relics/etc) and pursue just what you are after, and then you can open it up to other pursuits after that. This way you are not overburdened with too many hits to dig all at once. Those are just some thoughts.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Johnwon2,

A lot of those tones and VDI were high conductors, I would concentrate on those "easy" signals first. Once the area is cleared of "easy" signals you can move to the mid, lower and iffy signals. This all comes with detecting experience and many hours with the machine in the field.

Good Luck with you new purchase.

GL & HH

Doc

OP
OP
J

johnwon2

Jun 21, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks for all of the feedback. I've ruled out EMI and have gone to setting the discrimination so that I am hitting a smaller selection of items, then once I have all of those (say 20-30) I am then moving to the next group. This is working pretty well, but is going to take me months to work the entire lot since there is a 6" cover of gravel over it that I found directly under the sod. Based on the dates on the coins above and below the gravel, it appears to have been put down in the 60s or 70s. I may try taking my Tesoro over the area with the smaller coil on it to see if that is easier to manage on this site. This site definitely forced me to learn some of the features of the Nox that I would not have messed with on the beach right away.

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
You can always set the detector sideways and run the dirt over either side of the coil, a fistful at a time to find it.
I have stopped using pin pointers. I had a Sunray wired to my CZ, but it was heavy and not so easy to detach and re-attach.
Its getting so you need a lot of stuff. Your detector, pointer, shovel, knee pads, a cloth to put the dug dirt in, a goodies bag, batteries, back up detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions