Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tornadoes can happen just about any time of the year and sometimes have the watches a couple times a week in some months with our share of warnings. We have had two hit our town in the last 20 years, the last one in 2009 was pretty bad. We have had numerous tornadoes all around in the county. The one in 2009 started about a mile or less north west of my house, it left a destructive path that was easy to follow. Some of our friends managed to get inside their storm cellar before the tornado destroyed their home. they were stuck inside of the cellar all night and part of the next morning but they were safe. A man once told me that he had moved here to get away from the hurricanes and he did but he never planned on tornadoes like they have them in this part of the US. I started to tell him that we have earthquakes here too, in fact one caused the Mississippi River to change course and even direction for a bit. Well, it is hailing now, gotta go!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate storms. All of them. Be safe.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love Severe Weather , but Hate to see loss of life & property.

A EF 1 - EF 3 Tornado missed my house by a Quarter mile back in November 1993. It traveled an estimated 6-8 Miles snapping Trees at points then clearing a few 2 story homes from their foundations.
I was not home at the time.

Then there was the Big outbreak in 2012 or 13 "Weather Emergency with White on the Map"; Several Long track Tornado's ; from AL into GA F-3 -F-4 even f 5 damage done in some areas.

There are places on I -75 where a couple of the Tornado's Crossed you can drive 3/4 to a mile right across their paths .

They are Hard to see coming here in N GA cause of the Hilly Terrain .

Hope all goes well today & in the Future for you , the storms yr getting now are "Expected" to form a line & come into our area Over Night. Then a low of 35 on Wed night to Thursday morning.

I have to bring a few plants back in ,heck I just got the energy to put them out yesterday. Oh well that's life.
Davers

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, y'all take care. I grew up with them, but I'm pretty tickled to say I haven't heard the sirens go off in town or been in a tornado warning in about 14 years. Whole lot of winter storm warnings, but that's a whole nother thing.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I know the feeling DL. We had a pretty good one (BAD one) go through Seneca(wifes hometown)..then make it's way to Granby(my hometown). Nobody was hurt, just the house. We found almost all of her jewelry outside the mangled house embedded an inch or two in the yard. Very weird and surreal. The next year we had the Joplin tornado that killed 161 (officially). 7 of thoses people killed were my buddies from work who I had just left at the local Home Depot and headed a mile to the North to hit the Best Buy and was supposed to meet up with them for dinner within an hour. That never happened. It was a pretty rough time. It usually takes about 45 minutes from Joplin to my house...that day it took over 4 hours to get home taking different backroads etc. to find an open path home. We also went without power for about 10-12 days after that one. That was May, 2011 and only had a couple close ones since. I'm a few miles north of you so I understand completely. Lairmo.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well being the IDIOT I am... I went and drained off my pool cover this afternoon. Now I live in Middle TN. and heard we were going to go from 80 today to the 30's for an overnight low. Old pump quit a few days ago so got a new one. Now the cover is completely drained and the wind is really picking up now. Looks like an "umbrella" on top of the pool now. I probably should have left the few inches of rain on top TO HELP THE COVER NOT BEING STRESSED AND TORN FROM THESE HIGH WINDS.!!!!

I'm a slow learner... Kinda (:laughing7:)

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Got any tires lying around Limitool?

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, the temps dropped 20 plus in a hurry and it hailed hard but finally let up. nothing serious unless you had a nice car or truck outside. I guess this probably reinforced my father's decision to build his 2 story house with 2x8s instead of 2x4s. where he lives, tornadoes have a history of coming off the mountain and skipping to the east about 5-7 miles before hitting ground again. so he should be safe anyways plus he built a concrete safe room as part of the house. I keep 10 ply tires on my truck, came in handy driving over the debris from the last one. Usually if we get a warning, we head up to the old sale barn where we can at least see a little ways and watch for the tornado, otherwise we can't see a thing with the mountains and ridges. Last year, in the pouring hard rain, we spotted this huge boulder that have slid down onto the north bound lane of the highway in a blind curve. I turned around and went back ahead of the huge rock and turned on my flashers and then the wife and I headed back to try to roll it out of the way. It was all we could to finally get it to the edge of the shoulder and we were shot when this big Duelly slowed down and eased around my truck, still pouring rain hard. The guy got out and looked at the rock and asked if we had moved it and I told him that we just barely got it to rock and then it rolled over that far from the center of the lane. He turned kind of white as he said that he was hooking and would have centered that rock. He thanked us, oh yeah, this was about 11:30 at night and he looked back at the rock before leaving. we were soaked but happy

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Yep, had a t-shirt on to go mushroom hunting earlier...made it 100 yrds..the sky darkened, the wind changed, and I ran back to the vehicle and ended up with a long sleeve and a windproof jacket. It rained and blew and I found exactly ZERO 'shrooms for the next couple of hours...

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Indy as well

in my 62 years I have seen ONE funnel cloud and that's it!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Indy as well

in my 62 years I have seen ONE funnel cloud and that's it!

wow, that's all? I have seen them in Oklahoma, Arkansas and Texas. I have seen a water spout off of Texas back in the 60s. A friend and I were bowfishing at night on Millwood Lake one night and had one skip over us onto the land, really thought we were going to lose everything and maybe worse but they can do some really strange and crazy things

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Built a cold room under the front entrance of the house, not big 8'x13' outside. Inside 7.5' x 12' x 7' high, so it has 6" poured walls and lid, only 12 exposed to the elements. Insulated and has all the fixings for a stay, so It will be the safe room if and when the nasty weather.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're fortunate, Jeff. Been in two and have seen an additional four. 😞

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most tornadoes wimp out by the time they get to Maryland, with a few exceptions. (A big tornado ruined the British attack on Washington, DC in the war of 1812.) Plus some others. Some 16 years ago or so, I stayed home, wasn't feeling well. A thunderstorm blew up, it was May. I turned on the tv to catch a tornado warning, literally 5 miles or less away from here. I threw a jacket and shoes on and tore off after it. (Not a really bright idea.) I caught up behind the storm in about 8 minutes and watched the little F0 or 1 dance across the road a half mile in front of me. It tore off a porch in the next county and that was all.

A lot more recently I was boating at Point Lookout State Park in southern MD. I saw a "toy" rain cloud in the distance, with a few others behind it and decided to get off the water. The "toy" transformed into a small supercell? and as I was driving about 5 miles from the park, this little F0 funnel crosses the road 100' in front of me. I decided to stop and not drive through it. Of all things! It was a funnel, I saw it, but might have tossed the car around a bit, so I let it pass, although it did not have the right of way.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Going on 9yrs ago this was one of the strangest occurrences talked about in Ontario. Everyone was saying "Go Figure"

Sat., July 11, 2009. They came from Oklahoma, home of some of the deadliest tornadoes in the U.S., for a bit of fishing and relaxation in northwestern Ontario. But two American men were killedand a third is believed dead after a tornado hit their camping resort near Ear Falls, about 200 kilometres northeast of Kenora.

https://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/2009/07/11/oklahoman_visitors_die_in_ontario_twister.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread