Go big or go home - the detector revolution is here!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been said "getting older isn't for sissies". Well, sometimes it also costs you to run with the big dogs. A few of us around here have been speculating on the next step in detector evolution. Well, we were guessing, but apparently we were guessing in the correct direction.

Nokta has demo'd a new detector called the Nokta Invenio. It has extra sensing equipment with it, quite a lot actually, and let's you LITERALLY SEE what is under the coil sweep. They demo'd the thing March 22 and the press is out on the model.

Kellyco has it on a pre order status. I do not know the release date, I do not know when or where it will be distributed, but my previous uninformed end of the year guess may be correct, however, I WILL demo one myself before I buy one. If I am so inclined to buy one. Even if I have to fly somewhere to demo one later this year. Now for the faint of heart, it is as expensive as metal detectors get. I have purchased cars that cost less. BUT, imagine finding that privy without picking up a probe or a shovel. Guys, take a look and try not to have your eyes pop out of your head at either the machine or the price.

Just fyi. The thing looks amazing.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I ran into a video earlier about that, really very cool. The negative I see is that it might be a pretty slow instrument - the swings it takes to present an image.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, I think it would be another special use machine, but imagine getting into the privy or old covered well without a shovel. Plus, all the other manufacturers will step up to the plate and the games will begin. I need to find some privies soon so will rent a ground penetrating radar unit for a couple days. For now.

And its $10K. Just take that out of my lunch money?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ah but there is always someone that has the money and they will have one even if they hardly use it. With the newer fish finders and what they can do, it was just a matter of time. Remember how Dick Tracy used his watch? That was back in the pre days of party lines. in another 5 years you phone will be able to take X-ray photos of your body (don't laugh, it could happen.) Star Trek and Star Wars have also spurred on inventions so who knows what is next?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting old is NOT for sissies. I remember Sputnik, the invention of the TV dinner, when restrooms in the south were segregated by race, when you had to pay to use a restroom at beaches near me, when gas was 25 cents a gallon, 5 cent Cokes, 25 cent a pack cigarettes, the invention of the microwave, they were huge and over $1k back then, the invention of the home computer, "pong", that was a blast, the first Texas Instruments calculator for home use, airbags, and on and on.

And less we forget, Minelab already has a detector for sale at $8K. It's not going to be long when imaging detectors are not only on the market, you can pre-order the Nokta now from Kellyco, but they will be smaller and faster! And less than $10k.

And no, I'm not going to be the first person here to get one!

Last edited:

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah but there is always someone that has the money and they will have one even if they hardly use it. With the newer fish finders and what they can do, it was just a matter of time. Remember how Dick Tracy used his watch? That was back in the pre days of party lines. in another 5 years you phone will be able to take X-ray photos of your body (don't laugh, it could happen.) Star Trek and Star Wars have also spurred on inventions so who knows what is next?

DL-who's newer than me??:laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Getting old is NOT for sissies. I remember Sputnik, the invention of the TV dinner, when restrooms in the south were segregated by race, when you had to pay to use a restroom at beaches near me, when gas was 25 cents a gallon, 5 cent Cokes, 25 cent a pack cigarettes, the invention of the microwave, they were huge and over $1k back then, the invention of the home computer, "pong", that was a blast, the first Texas Instruments calculator for home use, airbags, and on and on.

And less we forget, Minelab already has a detector for sale at $8K. It's not going to be long when imaging detectors are not only on the market, you can pre-order the Nokta now from Kellyco, but they will be smaller and faster! And less than $10k.

And no, I'm not going to be the first person here to get one!

Smokey, all the electronic /computer advancements you speak of, were all a function of "faster and smaller". No amount of "faster and smaller" will overcome the laws of physics, when it comes to metal detectors. The same signal still has to be sent into the ground, and bounce back.

And the problem with imaging (GPR, etc...) is that the pixel sizes are too big to be of any use to md'rs. The smallest the pixel sizes can be, is something like 1" square. Thus everything md'rs look for (rings, coins, tabs, nails, etc...) is: Doh: One pixel. And even things that you might THINK are going to be shape-showing (like a horse-shoe), are nothing but a messy blotch of pixels.

And even if that gets shrunk down to 1/10" square pixel size, I still don't think it's going to do md'rs any good. You are simply NOT going to get a magical TV -like image of a coin, versus a pulltab, versus a foil wad, square tab vs round tab, etc.... Instead: You will still have messy blotches of pixels.

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tom, I respectfully disagree.

An expert once said, "Charles H. Duell was the Commissioner of US patent office in 1899. Mr. Deull's most famous attributed utterance is that "everything that can be invented has been invented."

hucklburry

Dec 18, 2010
no touch screen? I was expecting more detail, like being able to read the date on a coin....oh well. :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tom, I respectfully disagree.

An expert once said, "Charles H. Duell was the Commissioner of US patent office in 1899. Mr. Deull's most famous attributed utterance is that "everything that can be invented has been invented."

phishfarmer: I'll even go further than your catchy quote: "Science once thought the earth was flat". And "Science once thought that heavier than air flight was impossible". And your take-away from these things is that: Since science was wrong on those notions: Therefore, everything that anyone can conceive of, is therefore possible. Right ?

But no: It only means: 1) Science (so-called) was wrong about the flat earth. 2) Science (so called) was wrong about heavier-than-air flight, 3) Charles H. Duell was wrong about there being no more inventions.

Those past mistaken statements do not automatically mean that : Therefore everything is possible, and nothing is impossible.

There are things that are simply logical contradictions or contradict the laws of physics. And thus not possible. For example: Can you make stuff an elephant into a plastic sandwich baggie ? After all: using your catchy Charles H. Duell quote, it means we can say that .... with enough effort and trying: We can't say it's impossible. Right ? Or to make a square circle, etc... are examples of logical contradictions, of things that can't be done.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey, all the electronic /computer advancements you speak of, were all a function of "faster and smaller". No amount of "faster and smaller" will overcome the laws of physics, when it comes to metal detectors. The same signal still has to be sent into the ground, and bounce back.

And the problem with imaging (GPR, etc...) is that the pixel sizes are too big to be of any use to md'rs. The smallest the pixel sizes can be, is something like 1" square. Thus everything md'rs look for (rings, coins, tabs, nails, etc...) is: Doh: One pixel. And even things that you might THINK are going to be shape-showing (like a horse-shoe), are nothing but a messy blotch of pixels.

And even if that gets shrunk down to 1/10" square pixel size, I still don't think it's going to do md'rs any good. You are simply NOT going to get a magical TV -like image of a coin, versus a pulltab, versus a foil wad, square tab vs round tab, etc.... Instead: You will still have messy blotches of pixels.

Tom, I saw a video of this being demoed, and its not GPR, its a metal detector and ground mapping rolled into one (ok it has 2 parts, but its a package). Anyway, it records the sweep coverage and the target response. So anything that the detector hits on will get recorded on the map. They use a big T shaped bar in the test to show its not a round "blob" but has some resolution.

I don't think this will have a use to most park/yard beep-n-dig hunters but it looks like it could have a lot of use for others. It looks like it would be able to literally map out the buried metals of a site (not to literally SEE what it under the ground). Then you could go back and concentrate on specific hot spots.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And lots of patents prove to be useless when the product developed from it doesn’t prove to be marketable.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, I saw a video of this being demoed, and its not GPR, its a metal detector and ground mapping rolled into one (ok it has 2 parts, but its a package). Anyway, it records the sweep coverage and the target response. So anything that the detector hits on will get recorded on the map. They use a big T shaped bar in the test to show its not a round "blob" but has some resolution.

I don't think this will have a use to most park/yard beep-n-dig hunters but it looks like it could have a lot of use for others. It looks like it would be able to literally map out the buried metals of a site (not to literally SEE what it under the ground). Then you could go back and concentrate on specific hot spots.

The price is prohibited for most detectorest, $10,000-$12,000 puts it out of range.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it goes out and digs up the treasure too, i'll think about it.

Cost is a factor for most of us in the hobby.
It will certainly take a lot more found clad to pay that one off!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I really expect is a technology war in the immediate future! I am looking forward to it. I don't see this model as the one to go out now and dig a single coin in a park, but to locate that Civil War Hut with all those lovely bottles in it and the 18th century privy with the coins, ceramics and such in it. THAT would be a legitimate use for it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....I don't think this will have a use to most park/yard beep-n-dig hunters .....

Right. That's what I'm trying to say. Yet there is some fanciful thinking that there's going to be a machine that shows magical TV image shapes of small objects. Eg.: round tab vs square tab. Ring vs coin. Foil wad vs coin, etc.... Or the magical shape of a treasure chest (where you can see hinges, clasps, etc...), versus a hubcap, etc...

And as you're acknowledging: This is nothing of the sort. Only good for perhaps something like tracing out building foundations. Or finding outhouse pits, etc....

.... It looks like it would be able to literally map out the buried metals of a site..... Then you could go back and concentrate on specific hot spots.

I don't get it. What's to stop someone with a metal detector from going out and doing the exact same thing ? You can listen to the concentration of beeps, and get an instant knowledge of human traffic patterns (ie.; debris & metal spread).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread