vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Dang - can't remember ever seeing an animal actually running to (or away) from a MD.

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That you cannot. Would it attract the. Dogs maybe .? Others?

It's a interesting question, I remember when I detected around some horses. The horses seemed to actually move closer to the detector, but I think they were just curios about it.

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, for sure, like a Dog whistle.... More than once , I had coyotes, start to howl when they heard my detector, when I didn't use head phones....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I was hunting at the beach one time, when a lady came up and said my detector was bothering her dog. I think she thought it emitted some sort of frequency that only dogs could hear ? I just gave lip service, nodded and smiled, and moved away from her.

No, there's nothing that affects animals or insects.

KenG

Mar 16, 2018
East TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cutlass II, Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can pretty much say that farm animals are naturally curious and just programed to know human activity usually means a free meal. I don't think they hear anything. I've had chickens follow me around but they were looking for the worms I dug up.

metal detecting with cow.jpeg

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm pretty sure it effects Earthworms.:laughing7:

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about the detectors, but my pin pointer seems to drive dogs insane.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, no animal can "hear" a radio wave created by a metal detector. Its so far outside any range of audio that its not even close. Some aquatic animals can sense electromagnetic fields of other animals, and these do seem to be attracted to detectors, at least to check them out.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe chickens can as I had the experience in hunting the yard at a Cottage/B&B in London. As I dug a target I'd throw any worms out to the chickens. Well this one was really interesting as it would be picking around and when I went over a high sound it would be first at the target waiting for me to dig. Low/grunt sounds it would just be pecking for other things, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its not so much the sounds I think ( although clearly high pitched sounds can annoy some animals) ,,,,,but I think that the electro magnetic signal that it emits into the ground can make ants , and ground nesting wasps and earth worms annoyed

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
pepperj --the chicken was smart... it figgered out that you only dug high pitched tones and thus only can a running while it heard the "dinner bell" tone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions