Hunting right-of-ways

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm trying to think of creative new hunting locations. I'm not big on asking for permissions though I wish I had the courage and salesmanship to pull this off. I've been looking at historic aerial photos. I can see where some major roads and highways have crossed over where homes or parks used to be in the 50's and 60's. What are my chances of being able to hunt these areas without running in to people calling the police or some other issue?. I wouldn't hunt near the road though I might pull off the side to park. Have any of you tried this? Success? I've tried it once but I was using an under matched detector. I found old pop lids but nothing good. I assume there is a significant amount of dirt work done but I also assume there will be places that are basically left as they were in the 60's. Thoughts?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm assuming these "right of ways" that you speak of, are just roadsides, where anyone can simply walk along side of. Right ? If so, then curious why you think people might "call the police" ? Why this conception that this is what people do, or how they think of md'rs ?

I actually find it to be quite the opposite. People come up to you and ask: "What's the best thing you've ever found?". And "how deep does it go ?", etc.... So , for locations that are totally benign and innocuous as you describe (if I'm understanding your location correctly), I don't know why there would be this worry, in the first place ?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just having one of those mornings I guess, because I find I'm in full agreement with Tom in CA. I've done that very thing myself Owassokie, in fact I had pulled off onto a wide spot off the inter-state here and hiked off into the woods, stumbled onto an area with lots of iron stuff etc. and did find 2 "war nickels" and a silver ring believe it or not. Ya never know.

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Two (or three) schools of thought here. Don't be reluctant to ask for permission and when asking don't go into a long monologue about why they should let you. This is just my experience and opinion; just smile and ask, "would it be okay to metal detect your lot?" You will get turned down sometimes but often you will get the ok. Wearing camouflage while asking is not a plus.

If you're metal detecting in a public area don't try to be inconspicuous. I keep a safety vest in my vehicle; many folks think you're locating utilities or something. Detect like you own the joint.

County GIS maps will often reveal islands of public land in subdivisions that are accessible and unhunted. GIS sites are also handy to find out who owns the land you'd like to hunt and often contain the address of the owner and sometimes the phone number.

You are right about hunting where homes or parks used to be. Though a road has been build somewhere there are also finds to be made right beside them. Back in the day soil engineering was not the science it is today and they did not go to the lengths to get "engineered fill" to build up a road bed. They graded what was on hand and paved it. The more dirt they moved the more it cost them and they wanted (and still want) to make money.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck. Good finds await you.

OP
OP
O

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm assuming these "right of ways" that you speak of, are just roadsides, where anyone can simply walk along side of. Right ? If so, then curious why you think people might "call the police" ? Why this conception that this is what people do, or how they think of md'rs ?

I actually find it to be quite the opposite. People come up to you and ask: "What's the best thing you've ever found?". And "how deep does it go ?", etc.... So , for locations that are totally benign and innocuous as you describe (if I'm understanding your location correctly), I don't know why there would be this worry, in the first place ?

Yes. I'm talking about along the side of roads...typically major roads or highways as I mentioned in my OP. My "conception that this is what people do" is based on an experience when I was on the side of a highway (not MD related) and a city police officer stopped by. He said we weren't doing anything wrong but "several people" called in. As far as "innocuous" goes, I'll be honest, I had to look up the definition :) People shouldn't find what I'm doing harmful or offensive...but I'm guessing out of the several hundred cars that will pass, a few special people will think it's their duty to call the authorities. Regardless of my own experience, I'm not sure why people wouldn't assume that will happen. I'm not being negative...it's just the world I live in.

As far as your experience with people...I have a similar experience while detecting. Mostly just people interested in what I've found. But that is in reference to face to face encounters. Again, I'm worried about passing motorists with cell phones in their hand. The point of my OP was to see if people had tried this and if they had a good or bad experience. Did you have any problems? Where you able to find ground that was original or had the graded over the original site?

OO

OP
OP
O

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two (or three) schools of thought here. Don't be reluctant to ask for permission and when asking don't go into a long monologue about why they should let you. This is just my experience and opinion; just smile and ask, "would it be okay to metal detect your lot?" You will get turned down sometimes but often you will get the ok. Wearing camouflage while asking is not a plus.

If you're metal detecting in a public area don't try to be inconspicuous. I keep a safety vest in my vehicle; many folks think you're locating utilities or something. Detect like you own the joint.

County GIS maps will often reveal islands of public land in subdivisions that are accessible and unhunted. GIS sites are also handy to find out who owns the land you'd like to hunt and often contain the address of the owner and sometimes the phone number.

You are right about hunting where homes or parks used to be. Though a road has been build somewhere there are also finds to be made right beside them. Back in the day soil engineering was not the science it is today and they did not go to the lengths to get "engineered fill" to build up a road bed. They graded what was on hand and paved it. The more dirt they moved the more it cost them and they wanted (and still want) to make money.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck. Good finds await you.

Phishfarmer. Thanks for the great advice. I'll look in to the GIS maps. I love the safety vest idea. When I go in public places, I don't try to be inconspicuous because I think that would actually bring more attention than acting like I own the joint. :) But I'm still on edge mentally and I find that when I do that, I don't really enjoy the hobby. I'm probably different than most in that I'd rather be at a comfortable location, with less potential, than be at a high potential place but uncomfortable.

OO

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wearing camouflage while asking is not a plus.

I literally spit out my coffee when I read this. Great point! I always try to at the least wear a nice shirt when detecting. It's amazing how people react (or don't react) to a well dressed man (or lady) metal detecting!

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not big on asking for permissions though I wish I had the courage and salesmanship to pull this off.?

I'm too shy to go door knocking myself. I won't even do curb strips in front of peoples houses either. I like quiet secluded places to detect.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of people are too stupid to know what their own property boundaries are. I've had the cops called on me before, and had a great, friendly talk with the cop. They know its a public space but they have to respond anyway. I've had other people yell at me to quit digging up "their yard", to which I happily inform they they don't own it. Whenever they threaten to call the cops I encourage them to call to that the cops can tell them the same thing.

OP
OP
O

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just having one of those mornings I guess, because I find I'm in full agreement with Tom in CA. I've done that very thing myself Owassokie, in fact I had pulled off onto a wide spot off the inter-state here and hiked off into the woods, stumbled onto an area with lots of iron stuff etc. and did find 2 "war nickels" and a silver ring believe it or not. Ya never know.

sprailroad, Did you know who owned those woods? I would love to do that but I'm not going to trespass. I'm not insinuating you did...we just don't have a lot of public woods near me. In a scenario similar to yours, I wouldn't be as worried about passing motorists because only a few would see me before I was out of site. But detecting in eye's sight of the highway, I'll have hundreds at best...maybe thousands of motorist pass me in a 2 hour hunt.

OP
OP
O

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of people are too stupid to know what their own property boundaries are. I've had the cops called on me before, and had a great, friendly talk with the cop. They know its a public space but they have to respond anyway. I've had other people yell at me to quit digging up "their yard", to which I happily inform they they don't own it. Whenever they threaten to call the cops I encourage them to call to that the cops can tell them the same thing.

I always want to hunt these strips but I just worry too much about dealing with the idiots you referenced. Maybe some day I'll just do it and get over it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.....but I'm guessing out of the several hundred cars that will pass, a few special people will think it's their duty to call the authorities.....

Fair enough answer Owassokie :) And you're right: Detecting has uh .... connotations. And sure, someone could gripe. I could say "grow a thick skin" and deal with it . Because you acknowledge that the police shrugged their shoulders and had no problem. However, you're right: If you're in a zone where busy-bodies might object to (gasp) that you dug in the grass, or whatever, then ... sure: It could have gone the opposite way.

Example: I had a similar situation, in a park in a big city, where a cop showed up. Told me to scram. But after some casual chit-chat, he acknowledged that the ONLY reason he was there, is because a certain nosy-parker resident, who lived in the upstairs buildings across the street, has a window that looks right down on that part of the park. Hence she perpetually feels she's a self-appointed park monitor. So the policeman, with a wink, told me to simply go to the other side of the park , where she couldn't see.

But you're right: If you're in such a high visibility spot, who wants that bologna. So to be honest with you: For "eye-sore" spots like that, I hunt at night. So peaceful. So serene.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions