So, how many of you have found Spanish Silver or a Gold Coin?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tom in CA. The guinea was found after Hurricane Sandy. It's originally posted under the thread "The sea gave up it's treasure today". I think the other two were modern tourist coin losses. They were the type of coins not generally found at a public beach. I never really did beaches at all before 2011. Now I'm finding the gold rings and earrings and all I only thought other people found.

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three Spanish silver's, all well worn and found in Louisiana, four gold, all found in the UK. French Ecu (1460-1481), 1605 James 1st Thistle Crown, and 1 Celtic stater and 1 Celtic Quarter stater.

. clouterville 014.JPG

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only found two silver reales and the best one got stolen. I'll get another here soon.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... I think the other two were modern tourist coin losses. They were the type of coins not generally found at a public beach.....

Oh, well in that case, they don't count. Tsk tsk. Haha still an atteboy for you :)

But seriously now: I know a hardcore beach hunter here who ....... if you asked him : "how many gold coins have you found?", he would make a differentiation . He'd say "one", and "3 in jewelry". (ie.: bezzles , mounted, etc..). He got a $5 gold in the context of an erosion day where old coins were surfacing. Thus he counted that as a "period loss". While the others, being in bezzle, he counted as jewelry, and not coins.

Still though, to even have one period loss gold coin at the east coast: Is an accomplishment.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Three Spanish silver's, all well worn and found in Louisiana, four gold, all found in the UK. French Ecu (1460-1481), 1605 James 1st Thistle Crown, and 1 Celtic stater and 1 Celtic Quarter stater.

. View attachment 1574913

Great looking gold, the big hammered Louis XI (1461-83) must of being a blast to see in the dirt.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking gold, the big hammered Louis XI (1461-83) must of being a blast to see in the dirt.

It was crinkled up as had been hit by plough. Had it straightened out. My first gold and it came 5 minutes before we were to be picked up for the day.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Captain,

It's great to see you are still with us, if only occasionally! How is the Super Yacht running these days and surely it is loaded with some fine Rum??!!

And plenty of dancing girls!!!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found both silvers and golds. Now, I have been looking for stuff in the dirt over 50 years, so please keep that time frame in mind. First Spanish silver was back in 1989 or something like that from the Brandywine Battlefield, a holed 1 reale. I found one more and several cut ones in the next couple years. First gold coin was a British Guinea 1774, posted here from 2011. Found the ugliest little gold Mexican coin I think in 2015 and last year my first American gold a $5 piece. Also posted here....somewhere. I have three Spanish silvers in the last month. One from the beach and two from a nearby farm. Before that the last Spanish silver was....uh...I don't remember. Honestly. They don't grow on trees. I got one last year and one in 2011 or 2012. We have an enormous amount of old sites here. All three gold coins came from beaches, 3 different beaches. 1 is a shipwreck coin as are two of the Spanish silvers. It's still a short list. Some folks do much, much better. View attachment 1574744

smokeythecat that is amazing!!!!

No you are amazing, you’re a true treasure to this hobby. I hope one day our detectors cross paths. [emoji1317]

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was crinkled up as had been hit by plough. Had it straightened out. My first gold and it came 5 minutes before we were to be picked up for the day.

The jeweller can really do a nice job on some of the coinage. Had a few taco'd Hams straightened up by him, now they're flat as pancakes. :)

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

. View attachment 1574913

Hey you guys quit coming over here and taken our Spanish silvers. :)

We love Texas

KZ2088

Greenie
Jul 23, 2017
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a beach in NJ where I grew up that was undergoing a beach-replenishment. The dredger accidentally went over an old sunken Spanish ship and pumped a bunch of these all over the place. There were a few gold ones found but most were silver. I went out there with my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and found me one! There were guys with $1k Minelabs that had pockets full, of course, but I was happy with just the one that I got... and that they missed. There are still more out there, for sure. Low-tide.. after a nor'easter... 👍 IMG_20180408_023251__01.jpg IMG_20180408_023446.jpg

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold coin no, but Spanish yes. I have found 2 Spanish silver coins....a 1751 Pistareen 1 Real and an 1806 8 Reales. Both in amazing shape luckily. Can't wait to find my next one!

Attachments

• Real5.jpg
    Real5.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Real6.jpg
    Real6.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 60
  • real 2.jpg
    real 2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 48

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom in Ca, I think the $5 US gold came out of a bezel. There is a little mark around the edge. Not enough to hurt anything, but it is there. The Mexican coin, I'll never know.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got over 100 reales. Mostly spanish, with a smattering of Mexican period dates. No Spanish or Mexican gold coins yet , durnit. I know of a few escudos that got found in CA, but none for me so far.

Tom, quit holding out and show us pictures of your American gold coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread